IPVanish works in Japan to stay safe on Tokyo public WiFi hotspots and unblock foreign streaming sites, like BBC iPlayer, Hulu (US), Netflix US, and Max.
Thanks to its 20 Japanese servers, you can also stream U-Next, SKY PerfecTV, and d-anime Store abroad.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to set up and use IPVanish in Japan.
I’ll also offer alternative VPNs with SmartDNS for streaming on Smart TVs and consoles.
How to Set Up IPVanish in Japan on PC & Mobile?
Setting up and using IPVanish on PC and mobile is straightforward – just download and install the VPN app on your device.
Best of all, the setup is similar across all supported devices.
For this guide, I’ll use a PC. Here are the steps:
- Sign up for IPVanish.
- Go to the App section on the IPVanish website to download the VPN application.
- Launch the IPVanish app, and log in with your account username and password.
- Toggle on the Kill switch to prevent potential leaks that would allow Softbank Hikari, Nuro Hikari, or Docomo Hikari to monitor your browsing habits.
- Connect to an IPVanish server in your target location. For best speeds, connect to the nearest server, but to unblock ABC iView in Japan (for example), connect to an Australian server.
- You are now using IPVanish in Japan. If you want to access American Netflix (etc.), switch to a US server.
How to Use IPVanish in Japan on Smart TV & Console?
While it’s simple to set up and use IPVanish on your computer or smartphone, it’s less so for game consoles and most smart TVs.
That’s because you can’t directly set up IPVanish on these devices.
Instead, you must use a router (physical or virtual).
Luckily, IPVanish supports many common router brands in Japan and has specific guides to make the process easy.
If you don’t have access to a physical router, you can use IPVanish on your Smart TV via a Windows hotspot instead.
I prefer this method since it’s less complicated and has faster speeds.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Launch the IPVanish app on your PC, and switch the active protocol to OpenVPN.
- Connect to your preferred VPN server.
- Go to Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot and toggle on the “Share my internet connection with other devices” option.
- Go to Status > Change adapter options.
- Look for the active IPVanish connection in the Network Connections window. Right-click on it, and select Properties.
- Select the ”Sharing” tab and enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Open the “Select a private network connection” drop-down menu and select your Windows mobile hotspot from the network connection list.
- Click OK to save the changes, and that’s it. Your IPVanish-enabled Windows mobile hotspot is now active.
How to Get Japan IP With IPVanish?
You can get a Japan IP address with IPVanish by connecting to any of the 20 IPVanish Japanese servers. This allows you to bypass Resona, Mizuho, and MUFG Bank’s foreign IP filters and access your account outside Japan.
Here’s how to obtain a Japanese IP address with IPVanish:
- Get an IPVanish subscription. (Claim this discount)
- Launch the VPN app and sign in.
- Open the server list and scroll down to Japan. Alternatively, you can type “Japan” in the “Search Locations” bar.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the server number to access a specific IPVanish Japan server.
- Click to connect.
- You’ve successfully obtained a Japanese IP address. Go to IPLeak.net to confirm that your IPVanish-assigned VPN IP matches your public IP address.
What’s the Fastest IPVanish Server in Japan?
The fastest IPVanish server in Japan is “Optimal Location.”
It’s positioned near the top of the IPVanish server list window.
I used this server while visiting Senso Ji Temple in Asakusa and barely noticed any change to my internet speed. Specifically, I got download speeds of 16.64 Mbps on a 20 Mbps public WiFi hotspot.
What's the Best IPVanish Server for Streaming in Japan?
The best IPVanish server for streaming in Japan will rely on your streaming service.
If you’re watching U-Next, d-anime Store, Abema TV, or any other local content, I recommend the Japan (nrt-a04) server.
It’s super fast, and during my tests, I could stream live mahjong and honbasho sumo matches on Abema TV without buffering.
Meanwhile, the best IPVanish server for streaming foreign streaming services in Japan is the server with the lowest ping in your target country.
If you’re watching American Netflix in Tokyo, connecting to the US server location with the lowest ping will give you the best experience. In my case, that was the Ashburn server.
You can click the drop-down arrow to access other servers in the same location if you have trouble bypassing geo-blocks.
I also tried IPVanish with BBC iPlayer, and the best server for the British streaming service was the “United Kingdom Manchester” server.
Best IPVanish Alternatives for Japan
IPVanish is an excellent VPN for Japan, offering fast speeds for streaming and gaming and over 20 Japanese servers for watching Abamo TV, U-Next, and SKY PerfecTV.
Unfortunately, it lacks Smart DNS, making it less ideal for users streaming on smart TVs or consoles.
If that’s you, try the following IPVanish alternatives for Japan:
Faster than IPVanish, NordVPN is an excellent VPN for Japan that boasts unbeatable geo-unblocking capabilities. In my tests, it unblocked Abamo TV, d-anime Store, and all my favorite Japanese streaming sites.
You can also use NordVPN to watch your favorite Hulu (US), Max, and AMC+ shows in your University of Tokyo dorm.
If you’re streaming in the living room, NordVPN has a Smart DNS service that makes it easier to use on smart TVs than IPVanish.
CyberGhost has the best Smart DNS service for Japan.
Unlike NordVPN Smart DNS, which only works with American streaming sites, CyberGhost’s My DNS unblocks content from the US, UK, Germany, and Japan.
So, you can watch U-Next, SKY PerfecTV, and Wowow On Demand on your smart TV while traveling outside Japan.
Plus, the VPN has dedicated servers for most streaming services, including U-Next, allowing you to quickly bypass geo-blocks and enjoy your favorite shows abroad.
You can pay for IPVanish in Japan using PayPal or your credit card.
Unfortunately, IPVanish doesn’t accept payments in Japanese Yen.
This means you’ll need to pay in USD, which will only slightly increase the total cost since Visa and MasterCard charge a 1% conversion fee.
Meanwhile, PayPal charges a conversion fee of 4.5%.
You can use IPVanish to unblock Hulu Japan while traveling overseas.
The VPN has 20 servers in the country, and the five I tried unblocked the streaming service on the first attempt.
I streamed Majisuka Gakuen seamlessly during my tests using the Tokyo (nrt-a01) servers.
Unblock Your Favorite Shows in Japan With IPVanish
Whether you want to watch Schitt’s Creek and other US Netflix exclusives in Japan or stream U-Next from outside the country, IPVanish is a reliable choice.
I tested it with d-anime Store, SKY PerfecTV, Wowow, and U-Next, and it worked perfectly. It also allowed me to stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Max in HD without buffering.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab our IPVanish exclusive deal and bring more movies and TV shows to your living room.