You can use IPVanish with xCloud or “Xbox Cloud Gaming” by connecting to an IPVanish VPN server in a supported region, like the US or UK, before launching the gaming service.
This allows you to switch to an IP address where the gaming service is available.
So, you can easily access popular xCloud titles like Fortnite, GTA 5, and more!
See below for steps to connect all your devices to xCloud with IPVanish and play your favorite titles worldwide!
How to Use IPVanish for xCloud Gaming Anywhere?
Here’s what I did to play Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) from South Africa on my PC (the same guide can be used for smartphones):
- Subscribe to IPVanish. Get the best savings here.
- Click the special offer link.
- Choose a plan. I chose the 24-month deal for the most savings.
- Enter your email address and choose a payment method to complete your purchase.
- Go to the IPVanish website home screen. Click Apps > Windows > Download Now > Download App. You can download an app for any other device similarly.
- Launch the downloaded app and log in with your credentials.
- Click Settings > Connection to enable the kill switch. This ensures continuous VPN protection and privacy and protects against data hacks (important for vulnerable games like Sea of Thieves and Fortnite).
- Click “Protocol” to ensure you’re connected to WireGuard. This protocol offers the fastest speeds for games played on cloud servers like xCloud.
- Click “Locations” and choose a server with low ping in a region that supports Xbox Cloud Gaming. UK, Birmingham was my choice. Click “Connect.”
- Create a Microsoft Account if you don’t have one. Note the login details.
- Go to xbox.com. Click “Sign in.”
- Sign in using your Microsoft credentials.
- Click Game Pass > Join Game Pass.
- Click “JOIN NOW” or “JOIN FOR 1$.”
- Choose “PC” as your plan. Click “JOIN NOW.”
- Click “NEXT.”
- Click “NEXT.”
- Choose a way to pay. I got options to pay via credit/debit card or an eWallet, but you may get other options depending on where you’re paying from.
- Enter your payment details.
- Ensure you’re connected to IPVanish (important if you disconnected in the previous step).
- Go to the xbox.com home screen. Click Games > Cloud Games.
- Connect your Xbox controllers to your PC via USB or Bluetooth to play! Alternatively, jam an xCloud touchscreen game like Halo Wars or Peppa Pig for kids.
I did experience some lag. To curb this, I disconnected from IPVanish once my game had started (remember to deactivate the kill switch if you use this method).
I successfully continued directing my army via Xbox Cloud Gaming.
How to Use IPVanish to Play Xbox Cloud Games on TVs and Consoles?
There are a few ways to use IPVanish to play Xbox Cloud Games on TVs and Xbox from unsupported regions. Unfortunately, Smart DNS is not one of them.
If you’re looking for a VPN with a Smart DNS setup for xCloud, try Surfshark.
This setup provides a faster connection than the router and hotspot setups below but offers US-only servers.
Otherwise, a router setup works well and provides a broader list of locations to connect to.
But before you choose this method, ensure your router is VPN-ready.
See this guide for a list of compatible routers and configuration steps.
Another solution is to create a virtual IPVanish hotspot using your Windows PC (macOS isn’t supported).
- Get an IPVanish account. Use this one-time discount for massive savings.
- Follow steps 2-14 from the IPVanish-xCloud setup guide above.
- Get “Game Pass Ultimate” to enable you to play on your console, PC, and anywhere else.
- With IPVanish still connected, open “Settings” on your PC.
- Select “Network & Internet.”
- Click “Mobile hotspot.” Enable “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- Scroll to click “Change adapter options.”
- Ensure your Wi-Fi network icon is green, confirming a working Wi-Fi connection. Right-click the IPVanish adapter.
- Click “Properties.”
- Click “Sharing” and check the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Choose the private network connection you’re using from the dropdown menu. Click “OK.”
- Connect your TV or Xbox to the IPVanish-enabled hotspot you’ve just created.
- Download or launch the Xbox gaming app. It comes pre-installed with Xbox consoles, but you can download it on Samsung Smart TVs (2020 and newer).
- Login to the Xbox gaming app with your Game Pass Ultimate credentials.
- Connect your controllers to the Xbox or smart TV.
Putting my steps to the test, I successfully entered the realm of Minecraft Dungeons via my Xbox.
The only frustration was the slight lag due to my nearest viable xCloud servers being far from my location.
IPVanish Not Working With xCloud?
If you find that IPVanish isn’t working with xCloud, try troubleshooting yourself before giving up on the VPN altogether.
For example, you might only need an app update or refresh.
Changing servers and protocols can also do the trick.
Another hack is to change your region to a supported country in the Windows settings and connect to a correlating IPVanish server.
Play xCloud Games With IPVanish Anywhere!
My guide shows you everything you need to use IPVanish for xCloud, allowing you to play trending Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) no matter where you are.
Plus, low-ping servers encourage unbuffered gaming, so you don’t miss the shot in real-time action games like Call of Duty!
The best part is that you can try IPVanish risk-free now via this exclusive offer.