You can hide your IP address using a VPN, TOR Network, proxy servers, Smart DNS proxies, a VPN router, or a hardware VPN. Each has its benefits, but they all give you the same results.
If you’re interested in hiding your IP address, you’re in the right place.
5 Tools You Can Use to Hide Your IP Address
There are countless ways of switching to a private IP address – some are premium, and others are free. The following are the best six tools that will work for you.
1. Virtual Private Network (VPN)
A VPN encrypts all of the traffic between your computer and the VPN server.
This makes it impossible for anyone on the same network to see what you’re doing online. It’s the most secure way to hide your IP address, but it can be expensive.
How Does a VPN Hide My IP Address?
On top of encrypting your internet traffic and making it useless to any hacker, a VPN can change your current IP address, making it appear like you’re located in another location.
Using a different IP address has the added advantage of granting you access to geo-restricted content and avoiding censorship without being found out.
The following features make a VPN ideal for hiding your IP address.
- Traffic encryption ensures no one can see what you’re doing online.
- IP address change allows you to bypass restrictions.
- Obfuscation features disguise your encrypted traffic, passing it off as regular internet activity to avoid detection.
How to Hide Your IP Address With a VPN on PC?
- Download and install a VPN client on your PC. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Open the VPN client and connect to a server in the country of your choice.
- Once connected, your actual IP address will be hidden, and you’ll get a new unique IP that allows you to surf the web anonymously. You can confirm your new IP address online.
How to Hide Your IP Address With a VPN on Mobile Devices?
- Download and install a VPN app on your mobile device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server location where you want to hide your IP address.
- Once you’re connected, your IP address will be hidden, and you’ll be able to browse the internet anonymously.
2. TOR Network
The TOR network is free and open-source software that allows users to browse the internet anonymously using private IP addresses.
When you connect to the TOR network, your traffic is routed through a series of servers, making it difficult to trace your IP address.
How Does Tor Network Hide My IP Address?
With Tor, your traffic is sent through a series of interconnected nodes.
This makes it very difficult for anyone to track your internet activity, as they can’t see your original IP address.
The following features make TOR network an ideal choice for hiding your IP address.
- All traffic on the TOR network is disguised. It’s almost impossible to track it.
- The TOR network is decentralized. There is no single point of failure that could be used to track users.
- The TOR network is constantly changing. The nodes that make up the network are constantly being added and removed. This makes it very difficult to track any given user.
How to Hide Your IP Address With TOR Network on PC?
- Go to the TOR project website, download the Tor Browser Bundle, and install it.
- Launch the Tor Browser.
- Go to TorProject to check if your IP address has changed. You should now be able to browse anonymously.
How to Hide Your IP Address With TOR on Mobile Devices?
- Launch Orbot and tap on the “Start” button.
- Orbot will now automatically connect to the Tor network.
- Once Orbot is connected, open your browser and go to TorProject to verify that your IP address is hidden.
- To disconnect from the Tor network, simply close Orbot.
3. Proxy Server
A proxy server is a computer that acts as an intermediary between your computer and the internet. When you connect to a proxy server, your traffic is routed through that server, making it difficult to trace your IP address. However, proxy servers aren’t as secure as VPNs or the TOR network and can be slow.
How Does a Proxy Server Hide My IP Address?
When you connect to a website through a proxy server, the website will see the proxy server’s IP address instead of your own. This makes it difficult for anyone to track your online activity.
There are many types of proxy servers. Some are free, while others must be purchased. The level of anonymity provided by a proxy server varies depending on the server you use.
Free proxy servers are often less reliable than paid options.
They may also be slower and provide less anonymity. However, they can be a good option if you only need to hide your IP address for a short time.
Paid proxy servers, on the other hand, offer better performance and more features than free options. They can also be more reliable and provide greater anonymity.
How to Hide Your IP Address With a Proxy Server on a PC?
- Find a proxy server. You can search for “free proxy server” or “anonymous proxy server.” In this case, try hidester.
- Select a country from the “Server” drop-down menu. Enter the URL of the website you want to visit in the “URL” field. Click the “Surf Anonymously” button.
- Wait for the website to load. It may take a few seconds. You can now visit websites anonymously without revealing your real IP address.
How to Hide Your IP Address With a Proxy Server on Mobile Devices?
- Launch the app and enter the website URL you’re trying to visit.
- This will open a browser. Try checking your IP address to see if it has changed.
4. Use a VPN Router
This is a router configured to connect to a VPN server.
This allows all of the devices on your network to automatically use the VPN connection, making it more difficult to trace your IP address.
However, VPN routers can be expensive and may not be available for all types of connections.
How Does a VPN Router Hide My IP Address?
A VPN router is a type of router that encrypts all incoming and outgoing traffic passing through it. With this, you don’t need to further install a VPN on your PC or mobile device.
The connection is already secured. This means your ISP, government, and anyone else who might be snooping on your traffic will only see gibberish.
Even if they could decode the encryption, they would only see the IP address of the VPN server, not your real IP address.
A VPN Router also routes traffic through multiple servers.
This makes it impossible for anyone to see your real IP address or track your online activity. Traffic can also be routed through servers in different countries.
The following features make a VPN router an ideal option for hiding your IP address.
- All traffic is encrypted, so your ISP can’t see what you’re doing online.
- You can choose from various IP addresses, so you appear to be located in any country you want.
- VPN routers are very easy to use, so you don’t need to be a tech expert to set one up since most come already configured.
Hiding your IP address with a VPN router is simple. Just connect your PC or mobile device to the VPN router network the same way you would with a regular router.
Since the VPN router is already encrypted, the same extends the connections that your devices use.
5. Use a Hardware VPN
This is a physical device that connects your computer to a VPN server.
This makes it more difficult to trace your IP address, but it’s also more expensive and may not be available for all types of connections.
How Does a Hardware VPN Hide My IP Address?
Like software-based VPNs, when you connect to the internet through a hardware VPN, your traffic is routed through the VPN server’s IP address rather than your own.
This makes it much more difficult for third parties to track or identify you online. However, hardware VPNs are typically more difficult to set up than software-based VPNs on top of costing a lot more.
How to Hide Your IP Address With a Hardware VPN on a PC?
- Connect the VPN device to your PC and the internet.
- Configure the VPN device to use a private IP address.
- Configure your PC to use the VPN device as its default gateway.
- Test that your PC can access the internet through the VPN device.
- If necessary, configure your firewall to allow traffic through the VPN device.
- Enjoy your increased privacy and security.
Note that using mobile devices with hardware VPNs is too complicated and not worth the trouble. Mobile devices are typically used on the move, so tethering them physically to a hardware VPN wouldn’t make sense. You’re better off using regular VPN apps.
Why Do I Need to Hide My IP Address?
Your online security is determined by the actions you take when surfing the internet. Here is why you need to hide your IP address.
- To stay anonymous online and avoid identity theft. When browsing the web, your IP address is visible to every website you visit. This can be used to track your online activity and even steal your personal information. By hiding your IP address, you can surf the internet anonymously and protect your identity from thieves.
- To bypass geo-restrictions and access blocked websites. Many websites are blocked in certain countries due to censorship or licensing issues. However, you can often access these websites by hiding your IP address. This allows you to bypass geo-restrictions and browse the internet freely.
- To avoid online hackers and protect your privacy. Hackers can use your IP address to target you with malware or phishing attacks. By hiding your IP address, you can make it more difficult for hackers to find and attack you. This helps protect your privacy and keep your computer safe.
- To improve your online security. When you connect to a website, your IP address is visible to that website. Your IP address can be used to track your online activity. If you’re concerned about online security, you may want to hide your IP address to improve your security.
3 Best VPNs for Hiding Your IP Address
There are hundreds of VPN providers on the market, each with strengths and weaknesses. But when it comes to masking IP addresses, the following three are the best in the game.
NordVPN is a popular VPN service with a strong focus on privacy and security.
It offers AES-256-bit encryption with 2048-bit key encoding, making it virtually impossible for anyone to track your online activity. NordVPN also has a strict no-logs policy, meaning your data and activities are never stored or monitored, even when using a public network.
ExpressVPN is another VPN provider that offers excellent security and privacy features. It uses AES-256-bit encryption with 2048-bit key encoding and has a no-logs policy. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, which has strong privacy laws. So, you can rest easy knowing no one can get their hands on your online activities or sensitive information.
3. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is a great choice for those who want to hide their IP address while accessing blocked content. It offers a wide range of features, including 256-bit AES encryption, automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection.
CyberGhost VPN also has a strict no-logs policy, so you can rest assured your sensitive data is safe and secure. Not even your internet provider will figure out your web browsing habits.
Your IP address shows your city, the area or ZIP code of your internet service provider, and their name. This may not appear to be much information.
However, in the wrong hands, it can be used with a devastating negative impact on your online privacy and security. Someone can track your location, identify your ISP, and even discover personal information about you.
The easiest way to find your IP address is to use a web-based tool.
We like ipify, but there are many others out there. Just search for “What is my IP?” and you’ll find plenty of options.
When you visit a site like ipify, it will show you your public IP address.
This is the address other devices on the internet will see when communicating with your computer.
In most cases, hiding your IP address is legal. However, crimes committed while hiding your IP address are illegal, and you will likely get into serious trouble with the law when caught.
Your IP address is still visible when you use Incognito Mode.
The only difference is that your browsing history and cookies aren’t saved to your computer.
When you browse the web in Incognito Mode, your Internet Service Provider can still see which websites you visit and how long you spend on them.
They can also see your IP address. However, they cannot see what you do on those websites or what kind of files you download.
No, Opera doesn’t hide your IP address. Your IP address is visible to everyone, including your ISP and the sites you visit. However, using a VPN with Opera can help protect your privacy by hiding your IP address from prying eyes.
With everything at your fingertips, hiding your IP address should be a breeze.
Of all the options provided, we highly recommend VPNs. They may be costly, but you’ll get more out of them than you would a TOR network or a proxy server.