To see whether NordVPN works with the Telegram messaging app, I tested the service on a mobile and a desktop platform.
I’m happy to confirm that NordVPN works just fine with Telegram on both.
It’s quite straightforward to set up and use NordVPN on a device where you use Telegram.
But to make it even easier for you, I put together a guide on the best way to do so below.
How to Set Up NordVPN to Be Used With Telegram?
- Get a NordVPN subscription, download and set up NordVPN on your device.
- Download and setup Telegram on your device and create an account or log in.
- Log in with your NordVPN account and launch the app.
- Connect to a server where Telegram isn’t banned. Currently, NordVPN doesn’t have servers in those countries, which gives you a wide breadth of choice.
- Open the Telegram app.
I set up NordVPN on two devices – my iPhone and my laptop.
In both cases, I connected to two different servers – to an Indian server on my iPhone and to a U.K. server on the laptop.
In both cases, Telegram’s settings on both devices showed my sessions to originate from those respective countries.
This means that NordVPN’s function of hiding my IP works just fine with Telegram, and I can connect to different servers on different devices.
Here’s what you can do to check whether this works on your devices:
- Download the NordVPN app, sign in and choose a server or use the QuickConnect tool.
- Wait for the VPN connection to be established and open the Telegram app.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Click “Devices” and see your sessions.
iPhone’s Telegram settings
Desktop’s Telegram settings
How to Unblock Telegram With NordVPN?
If Telegram is blocked in your location, you can use NordVPN to unblock it.
I contacted NordVPN support to find out what steps to take to do so.
They’re as follows:
- Open the Telegram app and open “Settings.”
- Open “Advanced” and see “Network and proxy.”
- Select “Connection type,” and then “Use custom proxy.”
- Enable Socks5 proxy.
- Input your NordVPN username, password, and the hostname of the server to which you’d like to connect, leaving port 1080 as default. You can find the hostname for the best available connection here. Click on “Recommended server” and look for the hostname under the server’s name – it’ll end in .com.
- Wait until Telegram connects to the proxy server.
Why Should You Use NordVPN With Telegram?
Telegram is a popular messaging and content sharing service, known for being secure.
However, the rise of cybercrime and criminals getting more inventive on a daily basis means that sometimes, even the most secure technology can be exposed.
For that reason, you should use a VPN for extra security when using Telegram.
I recommend NordVPN for Telegram as an additional security tool, and here’s why:
- The AES 256 encryption ensures that your data is protected in a way that would take billions of years to decrypt.
- The no-logs policy, proven by an external audit, means that your data is never stored on NordVPN’s servers, and therefore, they can never hand it over to any third parties.
- NordVPN assigns you a new IP address when you’re connected and doesn’t store it. Therefore, even though Telegram does log your IP address, it has no way of logging your real one if you’re connected to NordVPN.
- The RAM-only servers provide additional protection for your data as it’s erased as soon as the server is rebooted, and there’s nothing NordVPN can give away.
- The Kill Switch will stop your device with Telegram installed from accessing the Internet if the NordVPN connection suddenly breaks. That means malicious parties can’t access your data, as you’re not even online.
Telegram Is Banned in Some Countries
In China and Iran, people are unable to access Telegram due to governmental restrictions.
The only way they can get access to it is via a VPN service.
NordVPN’s strong encryption, combined with its proven no-logs policy and the ability to mask your IP and the fact you’re using a VPN from your ISP, can help you access Telegram in a secure way without revealing your location to your ISP or authorities.
You can use Telegram on your phone, laptop or tablet with the same account at the same time.
If, for example, you want to message your friend on your phone whilst sharing files on your laptop, you want to be sure that messaging on both devices is protected.
NordVPN can help achieve that.
Getting any NordVPN subscription would enable you to install and use NordVPN on up to six devices.
That means if you use Telegram on up to six devices protected by NordVPN, your Telegram messages are protected on all of them.
What to Do if NordVPN Stops Working With Telegram
I’ve spoken to NordVPN customer support via its Live Chat to find out what to do if Telegram doesn’t load when using NordVPN.
Here’s their answer:
- Perform a DNS Leak test and the Extended test. If you see your real IP Address, your connection isn’t secure. Try rebooting the VPN.
- If your connection is secure, turn off CyberSec in NordVPN’s settings.
- If that doesn’t work, try re-installing Telegram whilst connected to a NordVPN server.
On What Devices Can You Use NordVPN With Telegram?
Telegram is available on iOS, Android, Windows, macOS and Linux.
NordVPN is available for all these platforms.
Therefore, you can use NordVPN with Telegram on your Apple, Android, Windows and Linux devices, both mobile and desktop.
Can You Use a Free VPN With Telegram?
Yes, some free VPNs do unblock Telegram.
But I don’t recommend using a free VPN, as those providers need to make money somehow, and usually that’s done by logging and selling your data.
If, however, you aren’t prepared to pay for a VPN for Telegram until you’re certain it works, NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee, available on every subscription, will help you make up your mind.
What’s the NordVPN Telegram Partnership?
If you run a Telegram channel or a bot, NordVPN’s partnership with Telegram might help you make extra income.
By signing up for the partnership and promoting NordVPN on your channel, you can refer your subscribers to NordVPN and earn commissions on each new sign-up or renewal.
|1 month||6 months||1 year||2 years|
|New sign up commission||100%||40%||40%||40%|
As a NordVPN Telegram partner, you’d also get access to exclusive discounts, giveaways and other promo materials you can share within your community.
As you can see, NordVPN works just fine with Telegram on both mobile and desktop platforms.
It’s quite easy to install and use.
I recommend using NordVPN with Telegram if you’re traveling to a country where Telegram is restricted, concerned or unsure about Telegram’s security or need to use Telegram across several devices and want equal protection for all of them.
Want to stay safe whilst using Telegram?