VyprVPN works intermittently in China, providing much-needed online privacy and advanced security features against China Telecom, China Unicom, and other ISPs.
You can also connect to VyprVPN’s servers to unblock popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu in China.
The best part is that VyprVPN prepared for China applications with its proprietary Chameleon protocol, which works across mobile devices and PCs.
So, let’s learn how to set up VyprVPN to unblock content and stay private in China.
How to Use VyprVPN in China?
You can use VyprVPN across your mobile device, PC, smart TV, and gaming console to unblock streaming content, access censored websites, and get region-locked media content.
I’ve included setup guides for these devices below.
How to Setup VyprVPN for Mobile in China?
Retain access to your social media platforms (like WhatsApp, Telegram, and Twitter) and stream your Netflix originals on mobile from China via VyprVPN.
- Buy a VyprVPN plan. Grab these discounts for more savings.
- Download the VyprVPN app from your mobile app store. I’ll use an iOS device for this demonstration, but the steps are similar for Android units.
- Launch the VPN app and log in with your email and password.
- Tap “Customize.”
- Tap and toggle “Public Wi-Fi Protection” and “Automatic Reconnect” ON.
- Tap “Protocol” and select “Chameleon™ – Most Stealthy.” This is its most reliable protocol for China.
- Tap “Servers” to open the VyprVPN server locations.
- Connect to any server to get online protection or unblock content. I’ll use the Australian server for this example.
- Wait for the connection confirmation, then click the laptop icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Note the VyprVPN-assigned IP address.
- Test for leaks to ensure you’re getting the VyprVPN address. I use www.ipleak.net.
- If the IP address matches the server’s IP address, start browsing the free internet from China.
How to Setup VyprVPN for PCs in China?
VyprVPN allows you to access crypto trading platforms, play original versions of China-released games and bypass content censorship on your PC.
Here’s what to do:
- Get a VyprVPN plan. Use these VyprVPN offers for extra savings.
- Download the VyprVPN PC app for your Windows or macOS. I’ll use the Windows guide for this example.
- Launch the app and log in to your account.
- Follow steps 4-12 from above. This is possible since VyprVPN maintains a similar profile on PC and mobile.
How to Setup VyprVPN for Smart TVs and Gaming Consoles in China?
Smart TVs (except for the Android TV) can’t download a native Virtual Private Network (VPN) app, and gaming consoles are in the same shoes. Luckily, VyprVPN has a solution to protect these two devices and unblock content via its router setup.
Here’s what to do:
- Got a VyprVPN subscription already? Save more with these discounts instead.
- Set up the VPN software for your router. I’ve included a video guide to a router setup below, but yours might differ slightly based on the model.
- Connect your smart TV or gaming console to the resulting router network.
- Enjoy secure encryption and premium unblocking from China.
What Are the Best VyprVPN VPN Servers to Use in China?
You can use most of VyprVPN’s 700+ servers across 70+ locations to secure your internet experience or bypass censorship and geo-restrictions in China.
The best VyprVPN server to connect to will, thus, depend on what content you want to unblock and where such content is available.
For example, it’s best to connect to VyprVPN’s UK servers to access BBC iPlayer or click on its US server to watch US Netflix.
However, some VyprVPN servers may not connect in China. This is likely due to the CCP cracking down on some VPN IP addresses. If that happens, disconnect, and try another VyprVPN server till you find one that works.
How Reliable Is VyprVPN’s Chameleon Protocol?
I spoke with VyprVPN’s customer support staff, who assured me that the Chameleon protocol is the best protocol for security and privacy in China.
This protocol builds on the OpenVPN protocol, often used for obfuscation by other VPN services (like NordVPN). This obfuscation ensures your VPN traffic isn’t visible on deep packet inspection (DPI) so that China Unicom and other Chinese ISPs don’t restrict your VPN traffic and usage.
However, the fundamental issue with most VPN providers using OpenVPN for obfuscation is the tremendous speed hit they take. Thus, making the internet almost unusable on low-bandwidth networks for China VPN users.
Luckily, Chameleon solves that by leveraging the reliable AES 256-bit encryption OpenVPN provides to build a lightweight and faster protocol that does the same thing. So, you get the much-needed obfuscation to unblock content in China without the speed drop on most networks.
But how does this fare in real-world tests? I switched to VyprVPN’s Chameleon protocol over my 30Mbps network and tested its speed over a New York server.
Then, I compared it against WireGuard, a faster protocol, on the same VPN server.
The results were closer to my base speeds.
Finally, I checked against OpenVPN, which is usually used for obfuscation.
Surprisingly, it scored slightly better than Chameleon.
So, expect to shave off about a third of your internet speed when you connect via Chameleon. But that’s better than losing access to all your favorite online content and services.
How to Access VyprVPN’s Website and VPN Service from China?
VyprVPN doesn’t cooperate with the Chinese government, so accessing its website from China might be challenging.
Thankfully, VyprVPN offers mirror VPN websites that usually pass under the radar of Chinese ISPs and regulatory authorities. The mirror websites are set up to provide the same functionality as the main website, so you won’t miss out on anything.
Thus, you can still reach VPN’s customer support staff via live chat, download the VPN apps and manage your VPN account under the Great Firewall.
Speaking of downloads, the VyprVPN support staff can help you with alternate download links to get the Windows PC and Android apps.
However, given the kind of walled garden that Apple devices operate in, I couldn’t get such links for macOS and iOS devices.
Chip At the Great Firewall
VyprVPN might not be the one-size-fits-all to the GFW issue and China’s VPN blocks, but it allows you to fight against restrictions and internet censorship.
Complete that with the online privacy and security you get from invasive Chinese ISPs, and the VPN provider quickly makes sense.
While its Chameleon VPN protocol for China has proven to be the slowest, a faster base connection will make that speed drop negligible.
So, try VyprVPN risk-free for 30 days if you’re ready to stop playing VPN roulette to find one that’ll serve your needs from China.