DuckDuckGo is a privacy-focused search engine that has recently seen a surge in popularity. With increasing concerns about online privacy and data tracking, many users are turning to DuckDuckGo as an alternative to traditional search engines.
This guide explores some of the latest statistics and trends related to DuckDuckGo.
We will be taking a closer look at its user base, search volume, market share, growth trajectory, and potential for the future.
Find out the latest figures and trends.
Top 6 DuckDuckGo Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- DuckDuckGo browser had more than 50 million downloads in 2021.
- In 2022, most DuckDuckGo employees were aged 18 to 30.
- In 2021, DuckDuckGo handled more than 35 billion search requests.
- The cost of advertising on DuckDuckGo can be up to ten times lower than on Google.
- DuckDuckGo had a desktop search engine market share of 0.84% globally in December 2022.
- DuckDuckGo paid an average annual salary of $52,536 in 2022.
DuckDuckGo Usage Statistics
1. DuckDuckGo browser had more than 50 million downloads in 2021.
Between January and March of 2021, it was the most downloaded browser on iOS and the second-most downloaded browser on Android.
2. DuckDuckGo had 869.6 million visits in January 2023.
This search engine hit 839 million in November 2022 and grew to 855.2 million total visits in December 2022.
DuckDuckGo Demographics Statistics
3. The United States sent the most traffic to DuckDuckGo in January 2023.
The United States was responsible for 50.05% of traffic to DuckDuckGo, while the United Kingdom sent 5.33%. The table below shows the countries that sent traffic to DuckDuckGo in January 2023.
|Country||Traffic Sent to DuckDuckGo (%)|
4. DuckDuckGo has 3x more male than female users.
As of January 2023, males represented 73.62% of users, while females were 26.38%.
5. DuckDuckGo employed more women than men in 2022.
Women comprised 71% of the DuckDuckGo workforce, while men accounted for 29%.
6. In 2022, White people were the majority race among DuckDuckGo's employees.
Whites represented a 60% share of DuckDuckGo’s employees, followed by Latinos (24%) and African Americans (12%). Asians made up 4% of the total DuckDuckGo employees in the same period.
7. Users aged 25 to 34 visited DuckDuckGo mostly in January 2023.
In January 2023, 25.81% of DuckDuckGo visits came from the 25-34 age group.
This was followed by 19.12% from 18 – 24-year-olds. The below table shows how different age groups visited DuckDuckGo in January 2023.
|Age Group||Visits (%)|
|25 to 34||25.81|
|18 to 24||19.12|
|35 to 44||18.35|
|45 to 54||14.74|
|55 to 64||12.39|
8. More than half of the DuckDuckGo employers had bachelor’s degrees in 2022.
54.5% of the DuckDuckGo employees had bachelor’s, followed by 18.2% who had high school diplomas and another 18.2% with an associate’s degree. Different 4.5% of employee groups had doctorates and masters.
9. In 2022, most DuckDuckGo employees were aged 18 to 30.
56% of the total employees at DuckDuckGo were aged 18 to 30 in 2022.
14% of its employees were under 18, while those aged 30 and more were 28%.
DuckDuckGo Search Statistics
10. DuckDuckGo hit 98.8 million daily average searches in February 2021.
That was the highest figure in 2021, dropping to 97.65 million in March 2021.
The figure dropped further till July 2021 (92.53 million), growing to 94.43 million in August 2021.
11. In 2023, DuckDuckGo controls 2.1% of the US search market.
Google had the highest command in the US search market with 88.11%, followed by Bing with 6.67%. Yahoo! Came third with 2.73%.
Google had the lion’s share (92.9%) of the global search engine market share in January 2023. The table below shows the top search engines with their market share globally in January 2023.
|Search Engine||Search Market Share (%)|
13. In 2021, DuckDuckGo handled more than 35 billion search requests.
DuckDuckGo was used for about half a billion searches globally just a decade ago.
By 2021, however, that number had grown 70 times to hit 35 billion search inquiries.
14. In 2021, the US accounted for more than half of DuckDuckGo's search volume.
50.9% of DuckDuckGo searches were generated in the United States in August 2021. Germany came second with 6% of the searches, and Japan grabbed third with 5%.
15. The “duckduckgo” keyword had over 6 million searches in the US as of January 2023.
“duck duck go” was the second most searched related keyword, with a 450,000 search volume. “duckduckgo browser” came third with 74,000 searches.
DuckDuckGo Advertising and Marketing Statistics
16. Direct traffic was the primary source of visits to DuckDuckGo in January 2023.
In January 2023, the privacy-focused search engine directly garnered 95.16% of traffic. In second place was email-driven traffic, accounting for 1.66%.
17. The cost of advertising on DuckDuckGo can be up to ten times lower than on Google.
DuckDuckGo’s pay-per-click campaigns typically cost $0.41 per click, but Google’s advertising costs $4.93 per click.
YouTube drove 61.55% of social media-related traffic to DuckDuckGo, followed by Facebook, with 17.72%. Twitter and Reddit made it third with 5.07% each, while WhatsApp Web drove 1.45% of the traffic. Other social media platforms combined to supply the remaining 9.13% of social traffic to DuckDuckGo.
Other DuckDuckGo Statistics
It had the same desktop market share (0.84%) in November 2022. The table below shows DuckDuckGo’s monthly desktop search engine market share in 2022.
|Month||Desktop Market Share (%)|
20. DuckDuckGo paid an average annual salary of $52,536 in 2022.
An entry-level staff in the company pocketed about $21,000 in 2022.
21. In 2022, graphic design and computer science were the most popular majors among DuckDuckGo employees.
Computer science and graphic design majors had a 13% share of the employee count each. The second most popular majors include psychology, business, interdisciplinary studies, English, and culinary arts, with 8.7% each.
22. In 2022, 45% of the DuckDuckGo workforce left the company after less than a year.
24% of DuckDuckGo employees stayed in the company for up to two years, while 5% stayed for 3 to 4 years. The table below shows DuckDuckGo employees’ average length of service.
|Number of Years||Those Who Stay (%)|
|Less than a year||45|
|1 to 2||24|
|3 to 4||5|
|5 to 7||8|
|8 to 10||11|
23. DuckDuckGo was launched in February 2008.
This search engine was founded by Gabriel Weinberg and launched in Valley Forge.
24. DuckDuckGo’s Private Browser has hit over 10 million downloads on the Google Play Store.
As of February 2021, the browser has attracted an average rating of 4.5 stars with approximately 1.8 million reviews.
The latest statistics and trends show that DuckDuckGo’s user base, search volume, and market share are all on the rise, and its potential for future growth is substantial.
As online privacy continues to become a more pressing issue, we expect to see even more growth for DuckDuckGo in the coming years.
DuckDuckGo does not collect or store personal information, but it is advisable to stay alert while browsing to avoid identity theft.