With billions of daily searches, Google has become a critical platform for companies to optimize their online presence and connect with potential customers.
But what are the latest statistics, facts, and trends?
We will delve into the world of Google statistics and uncover fascinating facts about its impact on businesses and users, demographics, and search numbers shaping Google.
Whether you’re a business owner, a digital marketer, or curious about the world of Google, this blog will provide valuable insights into the ever-evolving world of the search engine giant.
Top 6 Google Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- “What time is it” was the most Googled question globally in 2022.
- More than half of Google’s audience in March 2023 was male.
- 4 in 10 Google employees as of Feb. 2023 were women.
- Google attracted a revenue of over $75.1 billion in Q4 2022.
- Google Maps used around 2.25 to 5 MB hourly in 2023.
- The Google Docs website had 6 billion visits in March 2023.
Google Usage Statistics
1. Google attracted 88.6 billion visits globally in March 2023.
In February 2023, it had 80.2 billion visits, 8.1 billion lower than January 2023 (88.3 billion).
2. Google.com was the most visited website in February 2023 in the United States.
Google had 17.11 billion visits—4.94 billion from desktops and 12.17 billion from mobile phones.
Google Search Statistics
3. Facebook was the most searched word on Google globally in 2022.
It had a 203,900,000 search volume; YouTube came second with 196,100,000, and Amazon third with 178,200,000.
4. In 2022, Amazon had a 147,600,000 search volume in the United States.
It was the most searched word on Google, followed by Facebook with 132,600,000 search volume and YouTube with 131,300,000.
5. “What time is it” was the most Googled question globally in 2022.
It had a 1.4 million search volume, “What is my IP” and “When is Easter 2022” were the second most googled questions, with 1.1 million search volume each.
6. “What to watch” had 911,500 Google searches in 2022 in the United States.
“What time is it” was the most searched with 1.3 million searches, “What is my IP” came third with 823,000 search volume, and “When is Easter 2022” had 804,800.
Google Demographics Statistics
7. More than half of Google’s audience in March 2023 was male.
57.99% of Google’s audience was male, while 42.01% was female.
8. Around 3 in 10 Google audiences in March 2023 were 25 to 34.
Approximately 1 in 4 were 18 to 24, 18.53% were between 35 and 44 years, 12.66% (45 to 54), 8.50% (55 to 64), and 5.68% were 65 and more.
9. 4 in 10 Google employees as of Feb. 2023 were women.
6 in 10 Google employees were men.
10. Around half of Google employees as of Feb. 2023 were white.
49.7% were whites, followed by Latinos or Asians, taking 18.2% each.
8.7% were Black Americans, while those with unknown ethnicity were 5.2%.
11. As of Feb. 2023, approximately a third of Google employees spoke Spanish.
33.2% spoke Spanish, 13.9% spoke French, and 7.3% spoke Mandarin.
12. 66.8% of Google employees had a bachelor's degree as of Feb. 2023.
14.5% had a master’s degree, 8.8% had an associate, and 4.8% had a High school diploma.
13. 31.5% of Google employees in the engineering department as of Feb. 2023 were women.
68.5% working in the department were men.
14. As of Feb. 2023, around 1 in 4 Google employees in the engineering department were Asian.
46.8% were white, around 15% were Hispanic or Latino, and 8.2% were African American. 5% had unknown ethnicity.
15. Around 6 in 10 Google employees as of Feb. 2023 were 20 to 30.
About 1 in 5 were 30 to 40, approximately 1 in 10 were between 18 to 20 years, 7% were 40+ years, and 2% were under 18.
16. 34% of Google employees worked for less than a year as of Feb. 2023.
32% worked for one to two years, 14% (5 to 7 years), 8% (8 to 10 years), 7% (11+ years), and 6% (3 to 4 years).
Google Ad and Marketing Statistics
17. Google’s advertising revenue recorded a 3.4% increment between 2021 and 2022.
It attracted a revenue of $32.78 billion in 2022 and $31.7 billion in 2021.
18. Direct Traffic drove 95.33% of visits to Google in March 2023.
Referrals contributed to 2.06% of the visits, followed by social media networks with 1.88%, and organic search drove 0.46%.
Facebook drove 13.16% of social media traffic to Google, followed by Twitter with 5.07%, WhatsApp Web (4.32%), Reddit (3.35%), and other platforms left with 13.98%.
Google Sales and Revenue Statistics
20. Google attracted a revenue of over $75.1 billion in Q4 2022.
In Q3 2022, Google generated $68.2 billion in revenue.
The table below shows the revenue generated by Google from Q1 2021 to Q4 2022.
|Period||Revenue Generated ($ Million)|
21. Google Cloud had $26.28 billion in revenue in 2022.
This figure was equivalent to 9.3% of total Google revenues.
In 2021, the total Google Cloud revenue hit $19,206 million, around a 37% decrease compared to the 2022 figure.
22. In Q2 2022, Google generated an operating income of approximately $22.91 billion.
This figure decreased by $77 million from approximately $22 billion in Q1 2022.
Q4 2021 generated over $25.1 billion, registering around an 8% increment from $23.3 billion in Q3 2022.
23. YouTube's ad revenue in 2022 contributed 11.35% of Google's total revenue.
In 2021, YouTube’s advertising revenue drove 11.2% of the total revenue generated by Google.
24. Google attracted the most revenue from the advertising segment in 2022.
It generated 80.2% of the total Google revenue, Google Cloud contributed 9.3%, and others attracted 10.3% of revenue. In 2021, Advertisement brought in 81.3%, Google Cloud (7.5%), and Others (10.9%).
Google Maps Statistics
25. The Google Maps website had 189.3 million visits in March 2023.
In February 2023, it had 152 million visits and 73.4 million in January 2023.
It attracted over 414 million visits between January and March 2023 and a 158% increment in March compared to January.
26. Direct traffic drove the most visits to the Google Map website in March 2023.
It generated 48.31% of traffic, followed by organic search with 26.13% and referrals with 24.75%.
YouTube attracted 32.66% of social media traffic to the Google Maps website, Reddit drove 7.81%, LinkedIn (5.37%), Discord (3.55%), and other platforms left with 12.87%.
28. In 2022, Google Maps attracted over 24.7 million downloads in the United States.
It was the most downloaded navigation app, followed by Waze Navigation & Live Traffic, with over 9.1 million, and GPS, Maps, Voice Navigation, with over 1.6 million downloads.
29. Google Maps Android app has surpassed 10 billion downloads as of April 2023.
The app has an average rating of 4.4 with 16 million reviews.
30. Google Maps used around 2.25 to 5 MB hourly in 2023.
It equates to around 200 to 445 hours to use up 1GB of data.
Google Play Store Statistics
31. As of March 2023, Google Play Store had over 2.6 million available apps.
It had a total of 2,673,292 available apps. The table below shows available apps in Play Store from March 2021 to March 2023.
|As of March 2021||2,980,000|
|As of June 2021||2,886,000|
|As of September 2021||2,783,000|
|As of December 2021||2,605,000|
|As of March 2022||2,591,578|
|As of June 2022||2,654,747|
|As of September 2022||2,683,925|
|As of December 2022||2,694,114|
|As of March 2023||2,673,292|
32. Personalization apps grew by 2.87% as of Q3 2022 in Google Play Store.
Gaming apps recorded the second most growth with 2.57%, dating apps came second with 2.49%, and Tools apps secured the third spot with 2.47%.
33. February 2023 saw 87,000 Android apps released through Google Play Store.
January 2023 had 89,800 Android apps released, December 2022 had 96,500, and November 2022 with 97,000. From November 2022 to February 2023, there was a difference of 10,000 apps released.
34. 77% of Android finance apps in 2021 had 5-star ratings in Google Play Store.
76% of the business services, healthcare, and travel apps received 5-star reviews.
35. Gaming apps were the most downloaded in Q1 2022 in Google Play Store.
In Q1 2022, gaming apps had 12.03 billion downloads, and in Q1 2021 had 11.79 billion.
Google Chrome Statistics
36. Google Chrome was the most popular web browser globally in March 2023.
It had a 62.30% market share, Safari followed with 24.29%, Edge had 2.25%, Firefox (2.55%), Samsung Internet (2.36%), and other browsers were left with 3.24%.
Safari iPhone held 14.31%, Chrome 108.0 grabbed 11.61%, and Chrome 109.0 had 9.4%.
38. In 2021, most global internet users preferred Google Chrome for browsing.
It had a total of 3,229,760,000 internet users globally, 165,150,000 more compared to the previous year.
39. Google Chrome had over 120k extensions in 2022.
The total number of extensions hit 123,034.
40. Google Chrome app has over 10 billion downloads in Play Store as of April 2023.
The app is 48 MB and has a 4.1-star rating with 40 million reviews.
Google Workspace Statistics
41. The Google Docs website had 6 billion visits in March 2023.
In February 2023, the site had 5.4 billion, and in January 2023, it had 6 billion visits.
42. In March 2023, direct traffic drove 88.78% of visits to the Google Docs website.
Referral attracted 5.50% of the traffic, followed by social media networks with 3.89% and organic search with 1.45%.
Facebook came second with 23.20%, followed by Reddit with 7.51%, Twitter (6.34%), Facebook Messenger (6.15%), and others (18.21%).
44. Google Docs app has hit over 1 billion downloads in the Play Store as of April 2023.
The app has a 4.4-star rating with 1 million reviews.
Other Google Statistics
45. Google spent $2.72 million on lobbying activities in the U.S. in Q4 2022.
The figure hit $2.47 million in Q3 2022, a decrease of $0.30 million compared to Q2 2022. Q2 2022 had $2.77 million, and Q1 2022 registered $2.96 million.
46. Google received 21,863 content removal requests from the Russian government and courts in H1 2022.
South Korea followed with 6,254 requests, India (2,488), Brazil (1,396), and Turkey (1,180).
It took a share of 93.18%, leaving 6.82% for Bing, Yahoo!, YANDEX, DuckDuckGo, and Baidu to battle for.
48. Google Mail was the second most used smartphone app in the United States as of Jan. 2023.
It had an audience reach of 61% after YouTube (74%).
Brazil came second with 89.11%. The table below shows the top five countries with the highest Google desktop market share.
|Country||Desktop Market Share (%)|
As one of the world’s most widely used search engines, Google provides extensive data and information that can help businesses, marketers, and researchers make informed decisions.
Since Google is a large platform with different links, check out these phishing statistics, facts, and trends to avoid falling into malicious hands.