SoundCloud is one of the most popular music streaming platforms, mostly known for allowing independent music creators to share music and build a credible fan base.
Since its inception in 2007, this music platform has attracted millions of users and creators visiting the site daily to listen to and upload music.
In this piece, we dive deep into fascinating facts and trends shaping SoundCloud and their impact in the years to come.
7 Key SoundCloud Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- 64% of US respondents knew about SoundCloud in 2022.
- 74% of UK digital music users in 2022 knew SoundCloud.
- SoundCloud has a market value of $800 million as of March 2023.
- 52% of German digital music users in 2022 knew SoundCloud.
- In March 2023, 67.75% of SoundCloud’s website audience was male.
- There were 150 million tracks available on SoundCloud in 2021.
- As of 2022, SoundCloud had received funding worth $552 million.
SoundCloud Key Statistics
1. 64% of US respondents knew about SoundCloud in 2022.
While 27% used it and 30% liked it. Furthermore, 17% of US digital music users used the brand, and 19% liked it.
2. In 2022, 12% of US digital music users said they were likely to use SoundCloud again.
On the grander scale, 71% of the brand’s US users are loyal.
3. 74% of UK digital music users in 2022 knew SoundCloud.
21% of them liked the brand, and 28% of respondents who knew SoundCloud liked it. In addition, 19% of UK digital music users used SoundCloud, and 14% said they were likely to use the brand again.
4. In February 2023, the SoundCloud app was downloaded in Poland about 35,490 times.
The app download in Poland peaked in January 2023 with 41,410 downloads.
SoundCloud Financials Statistics
5. SoundCloud’s average monthly revenue in Poland between February 2022 and February 2023 was $1,536.
The highest monthly revenue was recorded in September 2022 at $1,834.
6. SoundCloud made $273 million in revenue in 2021.
This increased from 2020 when the brand made $218 million.
7. SoundCloud has a market value of $800 million as of March 2023.
This is on the back of its last $75 million raised from SXM in 2020.
8. As of 2022, SoundCloud had received funding worth $552 million.
This was up from $447 million in 2017.
SoundCloud Usage Statistics
9. As of 2021, SoundCloud had 130 million registered users.
This is up from 115 million in 2020 but down from 150 million in 2015.
This massive drop was due to the brand deleting about 70 million users between 2015 and 2018 due to inactivity.
10. There were 150 million tracks available on SoundCloud in 2021.
This dropped from 200 million tracks in 2020, the highest number in SoundCloud history.
11. As of March 2023, SoundCloud had 127.7 million website visitors.
This dropped from January 2023, when the platform had 131.5 million website visitors.
12. In March 2023, SoundCloud users visited an average of 4.43 pages per website visit.
They also spent an average of 7 minutes and 3 seconds per visit.
13. 65.85% of SoundCloud website users in February 2023 visited the platform with their desktops.
While 34.15% used their mobile device.
14. 52% of German digital music users in 2022 knew SoundCloud.
29% of these users liked SoundCloud, 23% used the platform, and 67% were loyal to the brand.
SoundCloud Music Creator Statistics
15. In 2021, SoundCloud had 30 million creators.
This is an increase from 25 million in 2020.
16. Artists using SoundCloud’s fan-powered royalties (FPR) in 2021 generated 60% more streaming revenue.
In the same period, the company paid over $1 million per month to platform creators.
17. In July 2021, a music band generated 400% more streaming revenue through the FPR model.
This was more than the pro rata model would have generated.
18. SoundCloud revenue from creators grew by 23.7% in 2021.
It grew to $103 million, while its fans’ business revenue increased by 16.6% to $170 million. The fan’s business accounts for 62.2% of the company’s overall revenues.
19. Since March 2021, over 9 in 10 fans have contributed to artists they love.
These fans have individually contributed more than $5 through FPR.
20. In 2021, SoundCloud’s profit surged 33.7% to $97 million.
However, its operating loss increased to $25 million from about $18.2 million the previous year.
21. SoundCloud’s marketing spending increased by 70% in 2021.
In addition, the brand ended the year with $50 million in cash and cash equivalents.
SoundCloud Demography Statistics
22. In March 2023, 67.75% of SoundCloud’s website audience was male.
And 32.25% were female.
23. Most SoundCloud website visitors (32.53%) in March 2023 were between 18 and 24 years old.
In contrast, visitors aged 25-34 came second with a 32.06% market share, while 35-44-year-olds rounded up the top three (16.59%).
24. The majority (27.15%) of SoundCloud’s website audience in March 2023 was in the US.
The UK comes next at 5.89%, followed by Germany with 5.33%.
France (3.48%) and Canada (3.31%) were in the top five.
SoundCloud Traffic Statistics
25. Direct traffic is the major source of the traffic to SoundCloud’s website in March 2023.
81.18% of SoundCloud’s website traffic in March 2023 was direct traffic, 11.68% was organic traffic, and 5.25% was from social media.
26. The top keyword driving organic traffic to SoundCloud’s website in March 2023 was “soundcloud.”
It had 1.6 million searches. Other keywords were ‘sound’ with 58.7k searches, ‘sound cloud’ with 43.9k searches, and ‘SoundCloud’ in other languages.
27. SoundCloud's top paid search term (37.55%) between December 2022 and February 2023 was ‘soundcloud.’
In second place was “sound clouds” at 4.72%, then “sound cloud” at 2.55%.
These were followed by “soundcloud subscription” (1.93%) and “souncloud” (1.52%).
Facebook followed with a 24.33% share, while Instagram (10.91%) completed the top three.
Start Your Journey to Fame
SoundCloud is one of the few open-source music platforms that allows music creators to grow on their terms. It operates differently than most platforms, as evidenced by the statistics provided throughout this guide.
As a rising artist, this platform is an excellent place to explore your creativity and launch a music career. As a music lover, it is a great way to discover new music and artists and support their growth if you desire.
But our Spotify statistics article offers many insights if you prefer other music platforms.