Many of us know TalkTalk is the most complained about ISP in the UK, thanks to bandwidth throttling, blocking websites, and slow internet speeds.
Luckily, using a reliable VPN will help you bypass these issues.
And after testing and retesting dozens of providers, I found the most reliable VPN for TalkTalk is Surfshark!
NordVPN is another provider that offers similar VPN security measures (including a built-in ad-blocker and malware protection feature).
However, you’ll miss out on Surfshark’s superior VPN speeds and obfuscation.
Keep reading to find YOUR best VPN for TalkTalk ISP!
Top 3 VPNs for TalkTalk ISP
With a large RAM-only server network and the best security features in the VPN industry, it’s easy to see why NordVPN is one of the best. You can enjoy unlimited internet access, even with TalkTalk as your ISP!
Surfshark is my go-to VPN for TalkTalk, thanks to its blazing fast speeds, automatic Camouflage Mode obfuscation feature, and massive RAM-only server network. No more bandwidth throttling!
As an industry leader with VPN security to match, ExpressVPN consistently delivers premium-quality service and speed – so you can browse the internet without limitations with TalkTalk as your ISP!
If you’re located in the UK and TalkTalk is your ISP, your VPN solution needs fast speeds for unlimited bandwidth, the best security features for an anonymous internet experience, and a massive server network for unblocking websites.
Luckily, every VPN on my list fits the bill. Keep reading to find out more!
Is TalkTalk Throttling Your Bandwidth RIGHT NOW? Here’s a Sneak Peek of My Top VPNs for TalkTalk ISP!
If TalkTalk ISP is throttling your bandwidth right now, don’t waste any more time!
Choose one of my top five VPNs for TalkTalk to unlock unlimited bandwidth:
Surfshark offers world-class VPN security, including Camouflage Mode (an automatically-applied lightweight obfuscation feature) and CleanWeb – but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Surfshark’s RAM-only servers also offer some of the best VPN speeds available for unlimited bandwidth (even with TalkTalk), all for a very budget-friendly price!
Detailed List of the 5 Best VPNs for TalkTalk
1. Surfshark – Best VPN for TalkTalk ISP Overall
Surfshark has everything you need to overcome (almost) every issue TalkTalk ISP has become infamous for.
The only thing it can’t do is improve TalkTalk’s customer support standards!
To help protect your privacy from TalkTalk, Surfshark uses AES-256 bit encryption, has a proven no-logs policy, and 3,200+ RAM-only VPN servers in 65 countries worldwide.
These are essential features, as ISPs are known to be careless with their users’ data.
TalkTalk is no exception.
In 2017, the ISP was fined £100,000 for breaching data protection laws by allowing its staff access to thousands of user accounts through an unsecured company portal.
This is just one of several incidents involving TalkTalk hitting the headlines in a negative light.
So, if you want your browsing data to stay private even if TalkTalk fails to deliver, a privacy-conscious VPN is a must.
Luckily, you can have a privacy-conscious VPN without sacrificing other essential features like speed.
Surfshark gives me roughly 99% of my regular internet speed.
Here’s an example:
Speed without Surfshark:
Speed with Surfshark:
Minimal speed reduction is an absolute must for a TalkTalk VPN, which helps cement the provider’s place as my reliable top choice.
This is primarily because TalkTalk ISP is infamous for slow internet speeds – beyond bandwidth throttling.
So, if you want a stable connection with decent speeds, a VPN with minimal speed reduction is unavoidable.
As for streaming, Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Netflix and many others.
Imagine streaming with unlimited bandwidth – even as TalkTalk tries (unsuccessfully) to breathe down your neck!
Best of all, thanks to this exclusive discount deal, Surfshark is also the most budget-friendly VPN for TalkTalk ISP in my Top 3 recommendations!
Plus, the provider’s 30-day money-back guarantee makes it a risk-free investment.
2. NordVPN – Budget-Friendly VPN Security
NordVPN cements its position as an industry leader by being one of the most secure budget-friendly VPNs for TalkTalk ISP.
This is even truer with the provider’s 5,300+ RAM-only VPN servers.
Best of all, combined with their independently audited no-logs policy, NordVPN’s servers cannot store any user data – so TalkTalk can’t get ahold of your online activities while connected!
And as one of the best VPNs for privacy, NordVPN also uses AES-256 bit encryption and the best VPN protocols.
Take a look:
Speed without NordVPN:
Speed with NordVPN:
However, you’ll need to switch to the slower OpenVPN protocol if you want to take advantage of NordVPN’s obfuscated servers.
Slightly worse, it’s only available with OpenVPN TCP.
Using obfuscated servers might be a must for you if hiding your VPN usage from TalkTalk ISP is essential.
And if that’s the case, the slightly slower speeds are a worthy trade-off.
NordVPN is also another excellent streaming VPN, especially for services like Netflix.
This means you can enjoy streaming Netflix US from the UK, regardless of your ISP (looking at you, TalkTalk)!
Plus, purchasing a subscription is more than affordable!
But if you sign up with this link, you’ll get a HUGE discount off your two-year subscription, backed by the provider’s 30-day money-back guarantee!
3. ExpressVPN – Premium VPN for TalkTalk ISP
3,000+ TrustedServer (RAM-only) VPN servers optimized with PrivateDNS show exactly why ExpressVPN is a premium-quality VPN for TalkTalk ISP.
The provider was also one of the first to volunteer for independent audits to prove its no-logs policy is legit.
So you can trust the provider to keep your online activities hidden from TalkTalk and other third parties!
Best of all, ExpressVPN has a proprietary protocol called Lightway designed to offer maximum AES-256 bit encryption security with blazing-fast speeds!
Take a look at my latest speed results:
Speed without ExpressVPN:
Speed with ExpressVPN:
This means you won’t suffer from the ISP throttling your bandwidth or a speed reduction from TalkTalk’s already slow internet speeds.
But there are a couple downsides.
ExpressVPN is still one of the best when it comes to streaming, but they don’t offer built-in ad-blockers.
So, if annoying ads plague your internet experience – especially with TalkTalk’s base speeds – a third party app like AdGuard is a must.
Nevertheless, ExpressVPN makes accessing websites like Hulu from anywhere in the world easy – including the UK.
And with an ISP like TalkTalk, the possibilities of unblocking websites are endless!
It’s also worth noting ExpressVPN is the most expensive provider on this list.
But you can save BIG on a one-year subscription (and get three months free!) by signing up with this link!
Better yet, ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee ensures you won’t have any regrets if you want to switch providers.
4. Private Internet Access – Largest Server Network
Private Internet Access offers the largest server network by far, with 30,892+ VPN servers in 78 countries worldwide.
This makes unlocking unlimited bandwidth with TalkTalk as your ISP easy!
And since they were taken over by Private Internet Access Inc. (formerly Kape Technologies), the provider added an independent security audit to prove the trustworthiness of its no-logs policy.
This is a definite bonus, as PIA doesn’t use RAM-only servers – meaning without the independent security audit, your data might be at risk of being exposed to TalkTalk.
Luckily, that’s not the case!
PIA is similarly inconsistent when it comes to unblocking streaming services.
When we originally compared Private Internet Access and NordVPN, the former failed to unblock Netflix.
Luckily, I’ve had better luck since.
PIA also holds its own by offering great speeds – another essential feature to combat the bandwidth throttling ISP.
Take a look:
Speed without PIA:
Speed with PIA:
Better yet, their apps allow you to choose between the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols (the latter is significantly faster) or even the SOCKS5 proxy connection.
Best of all, with its 30-day money-back guarantee, you’ll enjoy trying PIA risk-free.
But if you click here, you can get a massive discount on your two-year subscription (plus two months free)!
5. CyberGhost – Beginner-Friendly VPN for TalkTalk ISP
If you’re new to VPNs, then CyberGhost offers a beginner-friendly solution that works well with TalkTalk ISP.
With 7,100+ VPN servers in 91 countries worldwide, defeating bandwidth throttling is as easy as pushing the big power button in any of the easy-to-use VPN apps.
And with all of their servers being RAM-only, I’m not too concerned about CyberGhost not having any audits for their no-logs policy.
The VPN provider is guaranteed to keep your data safe from TalkTalk ISP!
Better yet, when it comes to streaming, CyberGhost works well with Netflix, Hulu, and many others – though you might struggle with up to 50% speed reductions.
Here are the results from my latest speed test:
Speed without CyberGhost:
Speed with CyberGhost:
Luckily, CyberGhost does offer specialized streaming servers that minimize speed reductions!
I used one from the US optimized for Hulu to unblock the streaming platform – while enjoying decent streaming speeds!
Unfortunately, you can’t rely on CyberGhost’s ad-blocker to help boost your speed – it’s been reported by several users that the feature doesn’t work at all.
Instead, stick to an app like AdGuard, and let CyberGhost focus on things like encryption and masking your IP address to keep you hidden from TalkTalk!
CyberGhost also offers an Automatic Internet Kill Switch – so if your VPN loses connection in the middle of your online activities, TalkTalk won’t see what you’re up to!
Best of all, CyberGhost is moderately priced (especially for longer subscriptions):
But for a HUGE discount and three free months on a three-year subscription, sign up with this link!
CyberGhost makes it risk-free with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee – more than you’ll get from any other provider on this list!
Here’s How to Choose a VPN for TalkTalk ISP!
If you’re unsatisfied with my list of the most trustworthy VPNs for TalkTalk ISP (or you want to shop around), be sure to follow this checklist before purchasing a subscription:
- Robust Security & Privacy – Finding a VPN with robust security and privacy is essential with TalkTalk as your ISP, as they won’t be able to monitor your online activities or demand your user data from the provider you’re using. A thing to remember is ISPs are known to invade privacy and put users at risk – meaning this is an area you can’t compromise on. Luckily, with the proper security and privacy features, TalkTalk won’t know you’re using a VPN in the first place!
- Defeats Bandwidth Throttling – A reliable VPN will conquer TalkTalk’s bandwidth throttling by hiding your online activities from prying eyes. This is another area where robust security and privacy features are essential, but the line doesn’t end there. Speed also plays a vital role in defeating bandwidth throttling. And as speed is typically influenced by the number of servers offered, a VPN provider’s server network also plays a role. So, to thoroughly defeat bandwidth throttling, you need a VPN with fast speeds and thousands of servers.
- Unblocks Websites – If you want to get around TalkTalk’s many website blocks, you need a trustworthy VPN that offers unlimited internet access – including the ability to unblock overseas streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. A good way to identify if a VPN is likely to unblock websites is to check how many servers and server locations it has (the more, the better). However, even a VPN with a massive server network might fail in some areas (like unblocking Netflix), so do additional research and check user reviews.
- Affordable Subscription Fees – TalkTalk ISP is already eating up a small portion of your earnings every month – don’t let a substandard VPN service do the same. In fact, you don’t want a substandard VPN at all. For this reason, pay attention to a VPN provider’s subscription fees (including monthly, yearly, and other long-term plans) and the features they offer in exchange. Paying a premium price for a VPN is acceptable if they provide premium features in return. But consider your budget when shopping around – don’t settle for an expensive VPN if you can’t afford the subscription fees with your internet fees.
How to Use a VPN for TalkTalk ISP? It’s Easy – Follow These 7 Steps!
Once you decide on your VPN provider (I recommend Surfshark as the best VPN for TalkTalk), follow these steps to get started:
- Choose and purchase a VPN subscription plan (don’t forget your exclusive discount deal for Surfshark).
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Launch the app and sign in to your VPN account.
- Double-check the app settings to make sure the Kill Switch is enabled.
- Click or tap the Quick Connect button for the fastest VPN server near you. If necessary, manually choose a specialized server (such as for streaming) or one located in your preferred location from the app’s server list.
- Open your browser and check for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks (just in case).
- Enjoy an uncensored internet free from TalkTalk’s notorious bandwidth throttling!
Can I Install a VPN On My TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub?
While many top VPNs offer router set-up guides (or dedicated routers with their VPN software already installed), installing the VPN on the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub isn’t possible.
This makes sense, as ISPs like TalkTalk don’t want you to use a VPN.
They want to be able to monitor your online traffic and throttle your bandwidth through so-called “fair use” policies.
Unfortunately, this means you’re forced to install VPN apps on all of your devices and connect to each one.
This is one reason Surfshark is my top-recommended VPN for TalkTalk, as they give you unlimited simultaneous connections!
The other option is to buy a VPN-compatible router, but make sure to get one with an ADSL and VDSL (for fibre) modem, depending on your TalkTalk package.
TalkTalk is unsurprisingly very reluctant to help customers’ set up a non-TalkTalk router.
You might need to rely on the router manufacturer to help you connect before turning to your VPN provider’s router set-up guides.
This is, of course, a much more complicated way to do things, which is why the more simultaneous connections your VPN offers, the better.
This way, you can stick to using their (hopefully user-friendly) apps.
My VPN Won’t Connect With TalkTalk – How to Fix?
Assuming you’re using one of our recommended virtual private network service providers for TalkTalk, the issue is unlikely to be the VPN’s fault.
Instead, the reason your VPN is struggling to connect with TalkTalk is almost certainly the ISP’s “HomeSafe” or “KidSafe” feature blocking the connection.
You might be thinking that can’t be it – you’ve never enabled those features!
But many TalkTalk customers suddenly find that HomeSafe turned itself on, with no way of disabling it again.
TalkTalk support and spokespersons predictably give a lackluster response to this problem.
Even after (finally) admitting the sudden influx of blocked websites was related to the HomeSafe feature, they refused to admit it was also affecting those who weren’t using the feature at all.
8 Steps to Fix the Issue
- Log into your TalkTalk account.
- Click on My Services (in the Menu bar).
- Open the View HomeSafe Settings.
- Turn off any features you aren’t using. This might be KidSafe, Homework Time, or Virus Alerts.
- If prompted to confirm the action, do so.
- Wait a few minutes, and then try to connect your VPN again.
- If it still isn’t working, you might need to flush your device’s DNS
- As a last resort, try turning the router off for a half-hour before trying again.
How to Flush Your DNS?
Flushing your device’s DNS is a great online privacy practice!
Here’s how to do it, depending on your device.
If you want to clear your DNS on Windows 10 (similar for 7 and 8), follow the steps below:
- Hit WindowsKey+R
- If it already shows “cmd” in the search bar, hit Enter
- Type “ipconfig /flushdns” and hit Enter to run the command
To flush DNS on MacOS 10.12.0 (Sierra) you need to:
- Hit Command+Space
- Type “terminal.app” in the Spotlight Search bar and hit Enter
- Type “sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder” and hit Enter
Please note for older versions of the macOS, the command is different.
For smartphones, using a VPN typically flushes the device’s DNS.
But if you want to be extra-sure, manually enter each internet-connected app’s Settings and hit the “Clear Cache” button.
Alternatively, you can use an app like CloudFlare’s 220.127.116.11 to change your device’s DNS completely.
Can I Use a Free VPN for TalkTalk ISP?
I don’t recommend using a free VPN for TalkTalk ISP, as free (and even freemium) VPNs have slow internet speeds, severe bandwidth caps, and substandard security.
Most also bombard you with ads and/or sell your data.
As TalkTalk ISP already severely limits your bandwidth and slows your internet, this defeats the purpose of using a VPN in the first place – and might make the problem worse.
Is VPN for TalkTalk ISP Legal?
Using a VPN for TalkTalk ISP is legal, as the UK does not restrict VPN usage.
However, bear in mind anything illegal without a VPN is still illegal with a VPN!
Additionally, although TalkTalk doesn’t outright block VPNs, they sometimes make setting up a VPN as difficult as possible (for example, by not allowing VPNs their Wi-Fi Hub).
It’s always a good idea to use a VPN with TalkTalk ISP, so you can bypass their crazy censorship, avoid bandwidth throttling, and possibly give your internet speed a boost while protecting your online privacy.
Get your two-year Surfshark subscription with an exclusive discount deal by signing up with this link today!