Snapchat is a popular social media app that allows users to send photos and videos set to disappear after a set time. It is also famous for its filters, which can change users’ photos and videos’ appearance.
But beneath all those fun features lie significant numbers, data, statistics, and trends driving the direction of this social media monster. Below are a few.
Top 7 Snapchat Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Snapchat had 363 million daily active users worldwide in 2022.
- Snapchat filters debuted in January 2015.
- In 2022, Snapchat’s average revenue per user (ARPU) dropped to $3.11 globally.
- Male users were less than half of the global Snapchat users in 2022.
- 65% of Americans aged 18 to 29 reported using Snapchat in 2021.
- Snapchat was the 5th most downloaded mobile app in 2022 globally.
- Around 30 million users played Snapchat games monthly in 2021.
Snapchat Usage Statistics
1. Snapchat had 363 million daily active users worldwide in 2022.
Snapchat had the highest daily active users since its inception in Q3 2022, hitting 363 million. In Q2 2022, it had 347 million daily active users and 306 million in Q1 2022.
2. Snapchat is expected to hit 531.1 million users globally by 2025.
As of 2021, Snapchat had hit 428.4 million users globally. The number rose to 464.8 million in 2022, around a 7.8% increase. It is predicted to rise to 492.7 million in 2023 and 513.2 million in 2024 before hitting 531.1 million users globally by 2025.
40% of the respondents accessed Snapchat less frequently, while 14% accessed the platform about once daily.
Snapchat Advertising Statistics
4. Snapchat generated $3.1 billion in advertising revenue in 2021.
By 2026, it is predicted that Snapchat’s advertising revenue will increase to $5.9 billion.
5. Snapchatters were 45% likelier to recommend a brand after watching its ad on Snapchat.
In 2022, 34% of Snapchat users were also likely to buy a product they saw advertised on the platform.
Snapchat Filter Statistics
6. Snapchat filters debuted in January 2015.
In the first month of 2015, Snapchat launched “Discover” and “Lenses,” also referred to as filters. By the end of the month, the platform had hit 75 million users.
7. 71% of Snapchat users use augmented reality (AR) features daily.
In Q1 of 2021, when Snapchat had a daily active user base of 280 million, 200 million users used its Augmented Reality (AR) lenses daily.
Snapchat Revenue Statistics
8. In 2022, Snapchat's average revenue per user (ARPU) dropped to $3.11 globally.
2022 saw a drop in Snap’s ARPU from $4.06 in the Q4 of 2021 to $3.2 in the Q1 and Q2 of 2022. It dropped again to $3.11 by Q3 2022.
9. Snapchat had its highest ARPU in North America in 2022.
North America led with an $8.13 average revenue per user on Snapchat in Q3 2022. Europe came second with $1.83, and the rest of the world was left with $0.89.
10. Snapchat’s revenue hit around $1.3 billion in Q4 2021.
The figure dropped to around $1 billion in Q1 2022 before growing to $1.1 billion in Q2 2022. Snapchat revenue reached around $1.13 billion in Q3 2022 and hit $1.3 billion in Q4 2022.
Snapchat Demographic Statistics
11. Male users were less than half of the global Snapchat users in 2022.
In 2022, female users accounted for 52.9% of the total Snapchat users, while males made up the remaining 46.3%.
12. More than half of Snapchat users in the United States were female in 2022.
As of February 2022, only 44.9% of Snapchat users in the United States were male, leaving females with 55.1% of the audience.
13. 54% of Gen Z Snapchat users in the United States launched the app weekly in 2021.
In contrast, 63% also used Tiktok weekly, and 57% were on Instagram every week.
14. India had the most Snapchat users in 2022 globally.
India was followed by the United States, while France came in third.
Below is a table presenting the top 10 countries with the highest number of Snapchat users in 2022.
|Country||Number of Snapchat Users (Millions)|
15. 65% of Americans aged 18 to 29 reported using Snapchat in 2021.
In comparison, Instagram had 71% of American users aged 18 to 29, and 95% of the same age bracket used YouTube. Also, 48%, 42%, and 70% of Americans aged 18 to 29 used TikTok, Twitter, and Facebook, respectively.
Snapchat Business Statistics
16. There were over 30 million businesses on Snapchat’s map in 2021.
In a Q2 2021 report, over 250 million Snapchat users had access to more than 30 million businesses existing on the app.
17. Snapchat users held $4.4 trillion in global spending power in 2021.
The most significant contributions came from North American users ($1.9 trillion) and European Snapchatters ($1.05 trillion).
Other Snapchat Statistics
18. Snapchat was the 5th most downloaded mobile app in 2022 globally.
Snapchat had 330 million mobile app downloads in 2022.
In the first spot was TikTok with 672 million, and Instagram grabbed the second position with 548 million mobile downloads. The rest of the top five are shared in the table below.
|Mobile App||Downloads (in Millions)|
19. The longest-running Snapchat streak was at 2,825 days in January 2023.
Anton and Johanna held the longest streak at an impressive 2,825 days as of January 17, 2023.
20. Around 30 million users played Snapchat games monthly in 2021.
As of Q2 of 2021, approximately 30 million users played Snapchat games monthly, equivalent to about 90 million users in the quarter.
From the looks of it, Snapchat is here to stay. With new features and updates added all the time, it will only get better. So, if you still need to get on Snap, now is the time to jump on board.