Twitter is one of the world’s most influential social media platforms, and it has become an essential tool for businesses, influencers, and everyday users.
Thus, collecting, analyzing, and diving into relevant data identifying Twitter statistics & trends for informed decisions is vital.
Top 6 Twitter Facts, Stats & Trends (Editor’s Pick)
- A minimum of 500 million tweets are sent daily.
- Twitter users are expected to grow by 1.8% in 2023.
- 42% of Twitter users in the United States have a college education.
- The most common age group on Twitter globally is 25 to 34 years.
- Twitter had a 22% increase in year-over-year ad revenue.
- The first ever published Tweet was sold for $2.9 million.
Twitter Usage Statistics
Twitter was ranked at position 15 for the most popular social network globally in 2022, averaging 436 million users. Facebook took the top position with over 2.9 billion users, followed by YouTube with over 2.5 billion users.
2. A minimum of 500 million tweets are sent daily.
There are approximately 6,000 tweets sent every second on Twitter. This translates to more than 350,000 tweets sent every minute, 500 million tweets per day, and roughly 200 billion tweets per year.
3. Over 90% of tweets came from 10% of US Twitter users.
Since November 2019, 10% of Twitter users have generated 92% of all tweets from American adults. 69% of these incredibly-active people identify as Democrats.
4. Twitter users are expected to grow by 1.8% in 2023.
We predict a 1.8% rise in users in 2023 and a 1.6% rise in 2024.
5. Twitter users have an average of 707 followers.
80% of Twitter accounts have fewer than ten followers, and 391 million have no followers.
Twitter Demographics Statistics
6. The highest number of Twitter users in 2022 were men.
In 2022, 56.4% of Twitter users were men, while women took the 43.6% share globally. As of October 2020, males were 70% of the total Twitter users, while females were 30%.
7. The United States had the most Twitter users in 2022.
The United States has 76.9 million Twitter users. Japan clinched the second spot with 58.98 million users, and India came in third with 23.6 million Twitter users.
The United Kingdom was 6th, with 18.4 million users.
8. 42% of Twitter users in the United States have a college education.
25% have a high school or less cohort, and 33% have more than a college education. In contrast, LinkedIn has the most educated users on social media, with 56% having a college education or higher.
9. The most common age group on Twitter globally is 25 to 34 years.
38.5% of the Twitter audience worldwide as of April 2021 were 25 – 34 years old. Users aged 35 – 49 made up the second-largest age bracket on the platform, with a share of 20.7%. Users under 24 years took a 23.7% share, while users of 50 years or older made up roughly 17.1%.
Twitter for Business Statistics
10. 118 million businesses use Twitter.
These businesses will drive a projected $9.61 billion ad revenue to Twitter by 2026.
Most Popular Twitter Accounts Statistics
11. Barack Obama’s account is the most followed on Twitter.
Barack Obama, the former president of the United States, is the most followed Twitter user with 133.3 million followers. Elon Musk is closing the gap at position two with 126.1 million followers. Justin Bieber grabs the third spot with 113.6 million followers as of January 2023.
12. YouTube has 78.4 million followers, making it the most popular brand account on Twitter.
Twitter takes the second spot (on its platform) with 65.3 million followers, and CNN comes third with 60.9 million followers.
13. In 2022, 497,000 Twitter accounts were suspended.
Likewise, 877,000 accounts were deactivated between the same timeframe of October 27 and November 1, 2022. This explains why 1.3 million Twitter profiles vanished during the early days of Elon Musk’s business ownership.
Twitter Revenue and Ads Statistics
14. A 46% drop in Twitter ad revenue was recorded in November 2022.
The first full month after Elon Musk took control, November 2022, saw a 46% decrease in Twitter’s ad revenue compared to the same period in 2021.
15. Twitter had a 22% increase in year-over-year ad revenue.
Twitter generated $1.41 billion in ad revenue by the end of 2021, making up a 22% year-over-year rise.
Twitter Publishing Statistics
16. Wednesday and Friday are the best days to publish a post on Twitter.
Since most users are online on Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 AM, they become the most significant times for marketers to post on Twitter. Saturdays are the least engaging days to publish on Twitter.
17. The first ever published Tweet was sold for $2.9 million.
The first tweet, “Just setting up my twttr,” was published by Jack Dorsey, Twitter founder, on 21st March 2016. Mr. Jack Dorsey auctioned the tweet for charity.
Other Twitter Statistics
18. 67% of US adult Twitter users think only a few people see their content.
Around 21% think nobody sees their content, and approximately 11% think many people see their content.
19. The most liked tweet has 7 million likes.
As of January 2023, the most liked tweet was posted by the family of an American actor after he passed away in August 2020. Elon Musk had the second most-liked tweet in April 2022 about his desire to purchase Coca-Cola, which hit 4 million likes.
The third spot is held by former United States President Barack Obama’s 2017 tweet against racism, which gained 1.4 million likes.
20. The most retweeted photo had 3.8 million retweets in 2022.
A Japanese millionaire, Yusaku Maezawa, asked Twitter users to retweet a photo he posted and follow his account, promising 100 random users one million yen each. The photo has garnered 4 million retweets.
The same Japanese millionaire also posted the photo with the second-highest retweets. This time, promising one billion yen to 1000 random users who would retweet and follow his account. The photo had 3.3 million retweets.
21. Ashton Kutcher was the first person on Twitter to reach one million followers.
Actor Ashton Kutcher became the first person to have his name in the Guinness World Record for hitting one million followers on Twitter.
Using Twitter statistics and trends, you can gain valuable insights into the conversations on the platform. It can also help identify potential influencers and brand advocates who can help spread your message.
Even though some countries like North Korea, Uzbekistan, and Russia have banned Twitter, you can access it using a reliable VPN like NordVPN.
Simply subscribe, launch the VPN on your device, pick a server location where Twitter isn’t banned (like the United States), and enjoy access.