The Voice over Internet Protocol market has grown significantly since its inception, popular with social messaging apps like WhatsApp. However, governments have moved to ban it, telcos have found ways to regulate it, and users continue to adopt VoIP massively.
That is why we dived into the trending topic to unearth what users think about it globally, where the industry is headed in a few years, and other interesting statistics that will make you drop the phone.
Top 7 VoIP Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Android devices accounted for over 75% of global VoIP mobile market revenue in 2021.
- There are 119 VoIP businesses in USA in 2023.
- The US VoIP industry employs over 25,000 people as of February 2023.
- VoIP reached a $40 billion market size in 2022.
- The US VoIP market size was $13.5 billion in February 2023.
- The US will pay $2.4 billion in wages to VoIP industry employees in 2023.
- The global mobile VoIP market is expected to cross $492 billion by 2027.
General VoIP Statistics
1. There are about 21.2 employees per average VoIP business in the USA.
2022-2023 data also shows that the US VoIP industry ranks 28th among other information industries in employment. It is the 588th largest industry (by employment) in the US.
2. There was a 315% increment in DDoS attacks directed at the VoIP industry between Q4 2021 and Q1 2022.
Of the largest 500 attacks by industry in Q1 2022, the telecoms industry encountered 73%. Most of the attacks on the VoIP section of the telecoms industry targeted its session initiation protocol (SIP).
Mobile VoIP Statistics
3. Android devices accounted for over 75% of global VoIP mobile market revenue in 2021.
This translated to roughly $37 billion from the total $49.23 billion haul for the year. The Android segment is also expected to dominate the mobile VoIP market by 2031.
4. The iOS mobile VoIP market segment will grow by a CAGR of 22.4% between 2021 and 2031.
Even though it only accounted for about a quarter of mobile VoIP revenue in 2021, it is expected to be the fastest-growing mobile segment till 2031.
5. The premium mobile VoIP segment generated over 2/3 of the market’s value in 2021.
Thus, bringing in more than $32.8 billion to lead every other model in the year.
It is also expected to hold the largest share by model in 2031. However, it will grow slower than the enterprise model, seeing a 23.2% CAGR explosion by 2031.
6. Asia Pacific will be the fastest-growing mobile VoIP market region between 2021 – 2031.
Even though North America leads in revenue, APAC regions will experience a 23.7% compound annual growth rate.
VoIP Statistics by Demography
The North American market scored north of $15 billion in a $40 billion global market share. Thus, accounting for 37.5% of the market value.
8. As of 2023, the Oman government requires VoIP providers to register their services before operating.
Failure to do so might result in jail terms (up to two years), fines (up to 50,000 Omani Rial), or both.
9. Omani police raided 120+ Internet cafes suspected of offering VoIP services in Oman in 2009.
This raid on 121 internet cafes in the country led to the arrests of 212 VoIP service users and providers.
10. The UAE still blocks access to VoIP services on WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, etc., in 2023.
Skype was allowed in the past but was blocked by the government and major ISPs in January 2018. Instead, the government allows citizens to use the C’ME and BOTIM (paid and government-owned) VoIP platforms.
11. In 2021, 61% of Brazilian WhatsApp users preferred to make a WhatsApp call over a standard mobile call.
Only 39% opted to make a traditional mobile call, even though they had the WhatsApp option.
12. Younger females were likelier to make mobile video VoIP calls than their male counterparts in 2022.
40.7% of females aged 16-24 made a mobile video call in Q3 2022, compared to 33.8% of males in the same age bracket.
Likewise, 40.5% of female users in the 25-34 age bracket also made similar mobile video calls, while 35.9% of male users followed suit.
13. Ladies aged 35 - 64 relied on mobile video calls more than men the same age in 2022.
As of Q2 2022, there was a higher number of ladies aged 35 – 64 making mobile phone video calls than men in the same category.
14. The US VoIP industry ranked 27th among information industry sectors based on market size in 2023.
Overall, it was the 489th largest industry sector in the USA by February 2023.
15. The US VoIP industry employs over 25,000 people as of February 2023.
However, the industry has a 0.7% employment growth rate decline compared to 2022.
VoIP by Zoom Statistics
16. Zoom’s VoIP service helped boost employee productivity across organizations in 2022.
The software’s ease of use and setup contributed up to 52 minutes weekly per employee to productivity time. The VoIP also helped organizations troubleshoot employee issues 75% faster.
17. Sales professionals using Zoom closed sales 70% faster than before using the platform.
The 2022 data also shows that these salespeople could dedicate the saved time to make more sales and improve their organization’s revenues.
18. Zoom’s VoIP solutions contributed up to $4 million in annual savings to surveyed organizations in 2022.
The voice-over-internet protocol offering helped save up to $1.9 million in travel expenses for some companies.
19. Companies invested in Zoom’s VoIP service enjoyed a 261% ROI in 2022.
These organizations expected a return of over $46 million on costs of just over $12 million across three years. Thus, offering a net present value reaching $33.42 million to generate ROI.
VoIP Revenue & Financials Statistics
20. VoIP reached a $40 billion market size in 2022.
The market is expected to continue growing at a CAGR of 10% between 2023 – 2032. Thus, reaching a $100 billion valuation at the end of the projection period.
21. The VoIP services market pulled $123.3 billion in revenue in 2021.
The revenue was estimated to be $133.9 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.2% to $354.7 billion in 2032.
22. The mobile VoIP market is expected to hit almost $330 billion in 2031.
The mobile industry pulled in $49.23 billion in revenue in 2021.
It was projected to grow at a CAGR of 21.1% over the next ten years to hit $327.5 billion in 2031.
23. North America accounted for over 3/5 of mobile VoIP market revenue in 2021.
That means over $29.5 million in revenue came from the region, which is expected to keep dominating the market until 2031.
24. The US VoIP market size was $13.5 billion in February 2023.
The market closed at $13.39 billion in 2022 and ended the year at over $13.4 billion in 2021.
25. The US VoIP market grew by 0.8% between 2022 and the start of 2023.
This was according to figures taken in February 2023. However, it has seen a 0.2% annualized growth decline between 2018 – 2023.
26. The US will pay $2.4 billion in wages to VoIP industry employees in 2023.
This is a drop from the $3.62 billion paid in 2014, the highest in the past decade. Likewise, the 2023 wages ($2.442 billion) represent a 0.4% decline from the $2.452 billion paid in 2022.
27. The average VoIP business employee in the USA is projected to earn $25,349 in 2023.
However, the average wages per employee in the USA dropped by 0.73% over the past five years (2018-2023).
VoIP Usage and Adoption Statistics
Likewise, a 5% integrated access growth (combining current phone systems in companies with VoIP) is expected across the same period.
29. Residential and non-business VoIP consumers will increase by 10% by 2032.
As of 2022, VoIP was already responsible for 7% of the global telecoms market, with sustained growth expected in the region.
VoIP Challenges Statistics
30. There is an estimated 2.3% employment growth rate decline in the US VoIP industry between 2018-2023.
There were over 28,000 employees in the US VoIP market in 2018 and 2019, individually. The numbers dropped to just over 26,000 (each) in 2020 and 2021.
By 2022, there was a further drop to 25,532, with more decline in 2023.
VoIP Statistics for Small Businesses
31. There were 119 VoIP businesses in the USA by February 2023.
2015 recorded 185 VoIP companies in the USA, the largest over the last decade.
But VoIP businesses in the USA have declined at a 0.8% rate in the previous five years (2018 – 2023).
32. Purchases accounted for 35.5% of VoIP business operating costs in the USA in 2023.
Wages are second, accounting for 18.3% of all costs, while rent and utilities took 2.3% of the companies’ operating expenses.
VoIP Price & Savings Statistics
33. Zoom’s VoIP solutions cost businesses less than 50% of their previous call solutions in 2022.
Notable examples of Zoom-related savings included:
- $10 million annual savings on internal conferencing tools by a financial company.
- $8 million annual savings on external conferencing tools by a financial company.
- $45 million in savings (spread over four years) from adopting Zoom Phone over traditional telephone solutions.
VoIP Global Forecast Statistics
34. The global mobile VoIP market is expected to cross $492 billion by 2027.
This section was valued at just $124.9 billion in 2020 but is expected to grow at a CAGR of 21.6% to reach the 2027 numbers.
35. Android OS has an expected mobile VoIP growth of 22.5% between 2020 – 2027.
This will make it the biggest operating system in the mobile VoIP market, accounting for $352.8 billion of the segment’s $492.2 billion revenue share.
36. The iOS VoIP market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.1% between 2020 – 2027.
Other existing mobile operating systems, and those that might come out between now and then, will conform to a 12.3% CAGR.
37. The VoIP market segment for corporate players is expected to hit an $83 billion valuation by 2026.
This market was worth $68.3 billion in 2021, showing a CAGR of 4% between 2021 – 2026.
38. Business VoIP services will generate over $284 billion in revenue by 2027.
This market segment pulled in $80.4 billion in 2020 but is expected to do over 3.5x that in 2027. In other words, the market will grow at a CAGR of 19.8% to hit $284.3 billion by the end of the forecast period.
39. Computer-to-phone business VoIP applications market will achieve a 20.3% CAGR between 2020 – 2027.
This is ahead of the expected growth in the computer-to-computer segment (18.1% CAGR), helping the computer-to-phone section to $121.3 billion in revenue by 2027.
VoIP Regional Forecast Statistics
40. The mobile VoIP market in APAC regions will grow by 20.3% between 2022 – 2028.
The Chinese market was the leading adopter and revenue driver in the Asia Pacific region in 2021. Likewise, it is expected to retain dominance in 2028 with over $14.3 billion in revenue contribution to this market.
41. Japan’s mobile VoIP market is expected to grow at a 19.6% CAGR between 2022 – 2028.
India will see more significant growth (21%).
42. The UK’s VoIP market is projected to increase by $4.83 billion between 2021 and 2026.
This will represent a 9.08% CAGR for the forecast period.
43. The European mobile VoIP market will grow at a 19% CAGR between 2022 – 2028.
The UK market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 18% during the forecast period, behind France (19.8%).
44. Germany is expected to keep dominating the European mobile VoIP market in 2028.
The German market was also dominant in 2021 and is expected to cross $11.2 billion in revenue by 2028. Likewise, the German business VoIP market will enjoy a 15.9% CAGR between 2020 – 2027.
45. The Chinese business VoIP market will increase by a 25.4% CAGR between 2020 – 2027.
Thus, hitting $65.8 billion in generated revenue for the global market by the end of the reporting period.
46. The Canadian business VoIP market will expand by a 17.7% compound annual growth rate by 2027.
Figures were measured from as far back as 2020 for this market.
The Japanese market (14.5% CAGR) is another notable mention.
The VoIP Voices Will Get Louder
VoIP services might still be banned in some regions, but this global revolution in personal and corporate communications is not stopping.
By opting for VoIP solutions, users save more on international, long-distance, and long-duration calls.
As the explosion of these voice services continues, we recommend that you get familiar with the best VPNs for VoIP services like Pinger, Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, and more. That way, you can keep your conversations away from hackers and unblock the service in regions where it is unavailable.