Yes, Atlas VPN works with BBC iPlayer. Although you only get one UK server location, it works like a charm!
Its speeds are equally impressive and allowed me to stream in HD when testing the VPN.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to unblock BBC iPlayer with Atlas VPN and stream your favorite TV series from outside the UK.
Let’s dive in!
Unblock BBC iPlayer With Atlas VPN in Minutes!
Here are the steps to stream BBC iPlayer with Atlas VPN:
- Sign up for Atlas VPN.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Launch Atlas VPN and log in.
- Connect to a server located in the UK.
- Open BBC iPlayer and watch your favorite shows.
How to Stream BBC iPlayer With Atlas VPN?
Depending on your streaming device, you can unblock BBC iPlayer using the Atlas VPN app or indirectly via Windows mobile hotspot.
Unblock BBC iPlayer With the Atlas VPN App
Follow the steps below to watch BBC iPlayer on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV:
- Sign up for Atlas VPN.
- Download and install the Atlas VPN on your device. If your device isn’t compatible with the VPN service (e.g Smart TVs and gaming consoles), skip to the second method for unblocking BBC iPlayer.
- Launch the VPN app and enter your Atlas VPN account email address to sign in. You’ll receive a sign-in code and an authentication link. Use either to log in.
- Search for the United Kingdom server location. Click on it to connect.
- Open the BBC iPlayer app or website and log in.
- When asked if you have a TV license, select “I have a TV Licence. Watch now.” You won’t be required to provide proof.
- That’s it. You can now stream your favorite BBC shows free from outside the UK.
Unblock BBC iPlayer With Atlas VPN via Windows Hotspot
If your streaming device isn’t compatible with Atlas VPN, you can still access BBC iPlayer via Windows Hotspot. This is best for Apple TV, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
You’ll need to install the VPN on your PC, create a VPN-protected hotspot, and connect your device to the resulting WiFi network.
Here are the steps you should follow to unblock BBC iPlayer via Windows hotspot:
- On your Atlas VPN Windows app, navigate to Settings > Protocols and select IPSec/IKEv2.
- Connect to the United Kingdom server location.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and enable “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- Click “Change adapter settings” to open the Network Connections window.
- Right-click on the AtlasVPN IKEv2 Connection adapter and select Properties.
- Select “Sharing” and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- On the same window, click “Select a private network connection” and click on the Windows mobile hotspot connection.
- Click OK.
- Go to your streaming device and connect to Atlas VPN-protected mobile hotspot.
- Open the BBC iPlayer app and start streaming!
Is Atlas VPN Good for Watching BBC iPlayer?
Atlas VPN is an excellent VPN for streaming BBC iPlayer. After using it to watch Crossfire on BBC iPlayer from Sweden, here are a few things I liked:
- It reliably unblocks BBC iPlayer. Despite the VPN having a single UK server location, I didn’t experience proxy issues when streaming.
- Atlas VPN has fast speeds. It allowed me to retain over 70% of my internet speed, which is more than enough to stream in HD on most networks.
- The VPN provider offers unlimited bandwidth, allowing you to stream as much as you watch. But this only applies to premium users. Free Atlas VPN accounts are limited to only 5GB per month, translating to about 4 HD episodes of your favorite series on BBC iPlayer.
- Atlas VPN has an effective kill switch and DNS leak protection. So, BBC iPlayer can never get a whiff of your actual IP address and interrupt your stream.
- It has apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV. It also lets you share your VPN connection over a PC hotspot and stream BBC iPlayer on Apple TV, Xbox, PlayStation, and Smart TVs.
- Atlas VPN is quite affordable and my best budget VPN for BBC iPlayer. And to top it off, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Limitations to Unblocking Atlas VPN With BBC iPlayer.
While Atlas VPN is reliable for streaming BBC iPlayer, it has some notable limitations:
- It doesn’t offer Smart DNS. The feature enables you to directly unblock BBC iPlayer on devices that don’t support VPNs, like Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV. I recommend NordVPN or Surfshark if you’re looking for a BBC iPlayer VPN that supports Smart DNS.
- Doesn’t work with routers: You must rely on your Windows PC hotspot to unblock BBC iPlayer on non-compatible devices. Alternatively, most VPN providers support routers, including NordVPN and Surfshark.
To recap briefly, here are the key pros and cons of using Atlas VPN with BBC iPlayer:
Fix Atlas VPN Not Working With BBC iPlayer?
So far, I’ve had a smooth experience with the Atlas VPN-BBC iPlayer combo.
But if you can’t access the streaming service, try the following fixes:
- Disconnect and Reconnect: BBC iPlayer might have blacklisted your Atlas VPN IP address. Since Atlas VPN has only one UK server, you need to disconnect and reconnect to get a new IP address.
- Clear Browser Cookies: Like all other streaming services, BBC iPlayer stores cookies to improve your viewing experience. Unfortunately, this information can tell your real location even when using Atlas VPN. To avoid this, clear cookies or use incognito mode when visiting the BBC iPlayer website.
- Switch VPN Protocols: Atlas VPN supports WireGuard and IKEv2. If you’re stuck, switch between the two protocols. But remember, you can’t use WireGuard when unblocking iPlayer via Windows hotspot.
- Enable Kill Switch: Prevents IP leaks during internet connection drops for a seamless streaming experience.
- Speak With Customer Support: If none of the above troubleshooting tips work, contact customer support for personalized support. Also, if the issue is on their side, this can help expedite the solution.
Yes, it’s not illegal to watch BBC iPlayer abroad using Atlas VPN.
But BBC iPlayer strictly enforces its geo-restriction by blocking known VPN IPs.
Luckily, Atlas VPN is one of the few VPN services that works reliably with BBC iPlayer.
You can’t unblock BBC iPlayer with the Atlas VPN free plan because it doesn’t offer any servers in the UK on this plan.
Atlas VPN can help you bypass BBC iPlayer geo-blocks and access shows like Doctor Who and Peaky Blinders from anywhere.
It’s also super fast, affordable, and straightforward to use.
Why wait? Grab our exclusive Atlas VPN deal and enjoy an extra discount.