We tested a popular VPN service provider CyberGhost to see whether it works with BBC iPlayer.
Fortunately, CyberGhost VPN works fine with BBC iPlayer.
Moreover, it offers servers optimized for various streaming services – including BBC iPlayer. Get CyberGhost today for only $2.25 per month and use it for three years plus get three months free!
Here’s how you can use BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost.
How to Quickly Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost VPN?
Unblocking a BBC iPlayer using PIA is a breeze and shouldn’t take much of your time. Simply follow the steps below:
- Register for a CyberGhost account. Choose a 1-month, 1-year or a 1-year plan.
- Go to your account and select “Download apps”.
- Download the right app for your device.
- Install and open the app as directed.
- Click on the Expand arrow button to show a list of servers and click on “For Streaming”.
- Choose the U.K. and the Optimized for BBC iPlayer option.
- Log into your BBC iPlayer account or create one if you don’t have one.
- Start watching!
My BBC iPlayer Is Not Working With CyberGhost
If You’re Using Windows
- Press the Windows icon on your keyboard and type in “cmd”.
- Right-click the Command Prompt app and click “Run as Administrator”.
Enter ipconfig/flushdns in the command line and hit “Enter”. This command flushes your DNS cache and removes the records of your recent website visits.
If You’re Using Mac Devices
- Open LaunchPad in the Dock and type in “Terminal”.
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sleep 2.
- Hit “Enter”. This command also flushes your DNS cache, similar to Windows.
What About iOS / Android?
- Open “Settings” on your device and go to “Apps”.
- Tap on the BBC iPlayer app.
- Click “Storage” and then select “Clear cache” and “Clear data”.
- After that, uninstall the app.
- Restart your device.
- Re-install the BBC iPlayer app.
You’re Watching Via Browser
If you’re using the streaming service through a browser and it’s not working, try restarting your browser. If that doesn’t work, try clearing your history and turning off geolocation.
If you’ve previously accessed BBC iPlayer from this browser, the server could’ve recognized your IP from that time from cookies.
Clearing your cache and browsing history stops that data from being sent to the server.
What Else Can You Do?
You can also try a few other things to make sure CyberGhost works with BBC iPlayer:
- Do a DNS Leak test to make sure that your real IP address isn’t leaking through the VPN tunnel. If it is, third parties like the BBC can see and therefore impose geographical restrictions on you.
CyberGhost promises no DNS leaks. We tested the VPN using DNSleaktest.com and saw that there were indeed no DNS leaks. You can do the same just in case.
- Check whether you need to update your CyberGhost application. If yes, make sure to do so and restart your device if required.
- Change the time zone on your device to GMT/BST and re-launch the VPN service and iPlayer.
- Disconnect and reconnect to BBC iPlayer.
- Turn your device off and back on again.
- Reboot your router and re-launch CyberGhost and iPlayer.
If the service still doesn’t work with CyberGhost, contact CyberGhost 24/7 Live Chat and let them know the problem. It might be that it’s a problem on BBC iPlayer’s side. In those cases, CyberGhost would announce unavailability of the streaming server on their support page, like below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Does CyberGhost VPN Come With BBC iPlayer Account?
No, CyberGhost doesn’t provide you with a BBC iPlayer account. You use your existing account with the streaming service to watch the content. If you don’t have one, you can register on the BBC website. Please note that you’d need a valid U.K. postcode to do so.
Is Streaming Included In The Price?
Yes, streaming is included in all CyberGhost’s subscriptions. You can choose the 3-year deal for $2.25 per month, the 2-year deal for $3.49 per month or the 1-year deal for $3.99 per month.
There’s also an option to get CyberGhost for 1 month for $12.99.
All these packages include BBC iPlayer streaming, as confirmed by Live Chat support below:
What Devices Can I Use?
You can use CyberGhost to watch BBC iPlayer content on up to seven devices at the same time. The VPN works on these operating systems and devices:
- Amazon Fire OS
- Web browser
You can use CyberGhost to watch BBC iPlayer even if you’re not in the U.K.
For your convenience, it even has servers optimized for that very type of streaming. This option, combined with how easy CyberGhost is to use, is what appeals to me the most. And the fact that my family and I can watch TV shows and football on seven devices at the same time is an even bigger bonus!
Take advantage of the CyberGhost 3-year deal and get 3 months free today!