Are you annoyed by the fact that some of the streaming content on your Roku device is geo-blocked?
I know I am.
But luckily, I found out that there is a simple solution to this – you need to install a VPN.
Since some of the streaming services on your Roku device use strong geo-blocking techniques, you’ll have to use an advanced VPN, like ExpressVPN.
So, let’s get you started by showing you how to setup ExpressVPN on Roku.
What You Will Need to Follow This Tutorial
Setting up ExpressVPN on Roku will be a slightly more complicated process than it is to set it up on your smartphone or computer.
That’s because Roku does not have built-in VPN support.
So downloading an app as you would on your other devices won’t be possible.
Instead, you’ll have to try other alternatives.
Before we start, to be able to follow this tutorial, first make sure you have the following things:
- ExpressVPN account and software
- Roku account
- Router and stable internet connection
- Your PC
- Android device (optional)
Setting Up ExpressVPN on Roku - Step By Step Instructions
There are at least three possible alternatives for doing this.
The first one is to install a VPN on your router.
That way, you will protect all your internet-connected devices, including Roku.
You can also create a VPN hotspot through your computer.
Or if you have an Android phone, you can also use it as a shortcut to using Roku with ExpressVPN.
Keep in mind, before we start, make sure you have ExpressVPN installed on the devices you will be using.
Set Up ExpressVPN on Roku Through Your Router
You can install ExpressVPN on your physical router that is if the router supports VPNs.
For more information, you can visit ExpressVPN’s website.
You can look for your router here, to see if that particular model supports VPN and how to proceed.
Basically, if your router model supports VPN, you get two options. Either use a native app or if your router does not have a built-in VPN support, you can manually install ExpressVPN.
If you are having trouble installing ExpressVPN on your router, you can get help from the Setup tutorials, or contact ExpressVPN’s customer support.
After you complete the installation process, follow these few easy steps:
- Connect to ExpressVPN.
- Make your Roku location matches the server location you are on.
- Open Roku’s Settings > Network > Setup Connection > Wireless.
- Connect to your (now VPN protected) Wi-Fi and enter the password.
- Stream content on Roku safely, and without geo-restrictions.
For additional guidance, you can also check out the video below:
When you set up ExpressVPN on your router, not only do you get the chance of using it with Roku, but you also set up protection for all of your devices.
As long as your router stays connected to the VPN server, it will shield all of your devices that use that network.
Set Up ExpressVPN on Roku Through Your PC
Another way is to use your Windows PC that will act as a virtual router to establish a VPN connection, and then connect it with Roku.
It’s a fast and convenient method, and you only have to follow these quick steps:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN, and install the VPN client on your computer.
- Open Network & Settings on your PC from your internet connection icon in the taskbar.
- From there, open Mobile hotspot and pick the option to share your internet connection with other devices.
- On the left side of the menu, select Status > Change adapter options.
- Choose the ExpressVPN Tap Adapter > Properties and chose to option that allows other network users to connect through your internet connection.
- Log in to ExpressVPN with your credentials, and pick a server.
- Make sure to configure Roku to the same location as the VPN server you chose. If you don’t know how to do it, see the explanation below.
- On your Roku Settings menu, go to Network > Set up connection > Wireless.
- Choose the VPN-protected hotspot you just created, enter the password, and start using Roku with ExpressVPN.
How to Change Roku’s Location?
Make sure that the VPN server you are going to use will match Roku’s DNS.
If they don’t, you won’t be able to access the geo-blocked content.
In case you need to change it, it will take you no more than a few minutes doing the following:
- After you connect to the VPN server, open https://owner.roku.com/, and select the right country.
- You’ll need to enter a zip code, but with a quick online search, you can find one that works. For example, for the US you should use a 5 digit zip code like 99501 thru 99524 for Alaska, or 90001 thru 90089 for California, etc.
- Factory reset your Roku device by clicking on the Reset button, usually on the back of your device.
- After you reset it, log in again and you now have a changed location.
Cast From Your Android
Here is an extra tip on how to use Roku with ExpressVPN.
It’s pretty simple, but it doesn’t work on all Android devices.
What you need to do first is to check whether your Android phone and Roku are both connected to the same internet source.
Open your Roku and do the following:
- Open the Settings>System.
- In the System menu, open the Screen Mirroring feature.
- In Screen Mirroring Mode Choose “Prompt” or “Always Allow”.
After you do with this, open your phone and follow these steps:
- Launch ExpressVPN and connect to a server.
- In your phone settings find Bluetooth and Device Connection or just Connections.
- Open Connection Preferences> Cast.
- Select Roku Player from the available devices and start casting.
I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and even more so that you found it helpful.
Make sure to get the best out of ExpressVPN and Roku, and remember to stay protected every time you go online.