Roku doesn’t support NordVPN’s native app. Luckily, you can still use NordVPN on Roku via SmartDNS, router, or Windows Hotspot.
This means you can quickly get around content restrictions and enjoy risk-free streaming on Roku using NordVPN.
How to Use NordVPN on Roku via SmartDNS?
SmartDNS is the easiest way to use NordVPN on Roku. Follow these steps:
- Select a NordVPN subscription. Use your preferred browser on your smartphone or computer to log into your NordVPN account.
- Find “NordVPN” on the left side of the screen in the Services section. Click on it to open up the NordVPN Services page.
- Select “Activate” in the “SmartDNS” tab. Your IP address will now register, and the SmartDNS will go live.
- You’ll receive an email address that SmartDNS is enabled.
- Open your router settings and change the DNS to match with NordVPN SmartDNS.
- Some Roku devices have Google DNS configured as the default setting, which can’t be modified. If so, you must disable Google DNS on your router by configuring its custom firewall rules:
- #Block Google’s DNS
- iptables -I FORWARD –destination 188.8.131.52 -j REJECT
- iptables -I FORWARD –destination 184.108.40.206 -j REJECT
How to Use NordVPN on Roku via Router?
- Open your browser window and input the IP address from the back of your router. It’s usually 192.168.1.1, then hit enter.
- A popup box will open up, asking for your username and password. Input the username and password you use for your dedicated VPN router.
- Once signed in, tap on the VPN tab and click “Add New profile.” Type in the correct text for the following settings:
- Description: Select a description of your choice.
- Username: Input the NordVPN Roku username you received in your email.
- Password: Enter the NordVPN password you used during the registration process.
- Go to NordVPN’s recommended server page and download the NordVPN config file. Select your preferred VPN server from the list, and the file will download automatically.
- Next, choose your preferred VPN server. The file will download automatically.
- Head to the VPN tab in your browser and click “Choose file” to locate and import the .ovpn file you downloaded.
- Select the WAN tab and choose No for “Connect to DNS Server automatically.” Input the following addresses and select apply:
- DNS Server 1: 220.127.116.11
- DNS Server 2: 18.104.22.168
- Go back to the VPN Client tab, find your newly added profile, and hit “Activate.”
- Start your Roku and connect it to your router!
How to Use NordVPN on Roku via Windows Hotspot?
To install NordVPN on Roku via a Windows hotspot, follow these steps:
- Subscribe to NordVPN and set up your account.
- Open Settings, then Network & Internet on your computer.
- Select Mobile Hotspot and turn it on to share your computer’s internet connection with other devices.
- Select Change Adapter Options.
- Right-click on Tap-NordVPN Windows Adapter and open Properties.
- Open the Sharing tab, then select “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s wireless connection.”
- On the drop-down menu, select your hotspot and click Ok.
- Open the NordVPN app on your computer and connect to a NordVPN server.
- Connect to the Windows hotspot on your Roku.
- Start streaming content on your Roku device.
Why Choose NordVPN to Unblock Roku?
As a streaming enthusiast, I found NordVPN good for unblocking Roku for several reasons. They include:
- SmartDNS: Since NordVPN has no native Roku app, SmartDNS is the most reliable and fastest way to connect a Roku device to NordVPN.
- Large Server Network: NordVPN has an extensive network of servers consisting of 5000+ servers in 60 countries, which allows you to access a wide range of geo-restricted content on Roku.
- SmartPlay: SmartPlay is activated on all NordVPN’s servers, allowing you to access geo-restricted content on Roku in numerous locations. It also helps with fast and buffer-less streaming.
- Fast Speeds: NordVPN is super-fast, making it best for Roku use. To get fast speeds, ensure you connect to a server near you. I also recommend using the NordLynx protocol whenever possible.
Top NordVPN Alternatives to Use With Roku
Although NordVPN is a great option, it’s not the fastest VPN I’ve used for Roku.
Here are the other VPN alternatives you can use:
ExpressVPN has ultra-fast speeds needed for streaming on Roku with no delays.
A connection to the Lightway protocol will deliver almost double the speeds of NordVPN for streaming 4K content.
Second, it has 3000+ servers in 94 countries. These are enough for unblocking content on your Roku anywhere.
Moreover, ExpressVPN offers a native router app for easy setup (vs. NordVPN’s manual config). You can also use its MediaStreamer (SmartDNS) to configure your Roku device.
Check out these exclusive discounts for using ExpressVPN with Roku.
Surfshark is an affordable VPN alternative for Roku with a SmartDNS tool to help you use the VPN with your Roku device.
Additionally, Surfshark has 3200+ servers worldwide, so you can unblock content even in the most-restricted regions. And if you switch to the WireGuard protocol, you’ll get the fastest speeds for streaming content.
Ready to try out Surfshark with Roku? Try these fantastic deals to save more.
Another top VPN alternative for Roku is CyberGhost. It boasts 9200+ servers in 91 countries, the most on the list. The vast network of servers is great for bypassing geo-blocks and streaming on Roku with no restrictions.
CyberGhost also has streaming-dedicated servers for the best speeds.
You can also connect to the IKEv2 protocol to improve the connection speeds.
Additionally, CyberGhost has a user-friendly interface for easy Roku setup.
Besides, CyberGhost also has a reliable Smart DNS for quick installation on your device.
Grab these huge discounts if CyberGhost sounds like a good deal!
You now know how to use NordVPN on Roku via SmartDNS, Windows Hotspot, and VPN router. So, you can get unlimited access to content without worrying about geo-restrictions!
Ready to try NordVPN with Roku? Grab this exclusive deal to get a discount with a 30-day money-back guarantee.