Are you struggling to set up VyprVPN on Roku? In this quick guide, I’ll show you how. That’s the good news!
The not-so-good news is that Roku does not support VPNs. You can only install a VPN on the media player through a router – physical or virtual.
Don’t worry, though, as I’ve made sure all the setup methods below are simple and easy to follow.
Does VyprVPN Work With Roku?
VyprVPN works seamlessly with Roku. In my tests, the VPN unblocked virtually all Roku channels, including Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus.
Easy Methods to Set Up VyprVPN on Roku
As mentioned earlier, you can use VyprVPN with Roku only via a router. And there are two ways you can achieve this:
Solution 1: Setting Up VyprVPN on Roku Via Physical Router
First, you’re going to need to make sure that your router is compatible with VyprVPN. At the moment, supported firmware includes:
- AsusWRT and AsusWRT-Merlin
If your router meets all the hardware requirements, then proceed to the steps below.
Step 1: Sign Up for a VyprVPN Account
First, you’re going to need to have an active account.
The provider has three subscription plans to choose from – 1 month, 12months, and 36 months.
If you’re interested in making maximum savings, then I recommend the 36-month plan as it will allow you to save up to 87%.
Once you’ve selected your preferred subscription length, enter your name, email address, and password to create your account.
Next, enter your billing country and choose one of the available payment options to complete the signup process.
Step 2: Configure Your Router With VyprVP
Flash your router with the latest OpenVPN-capable build of DD-WRT or any of the other supported firmware, and follow the steps below:
1. On your browser, enter http://192.168.1.1/ to go to your router’s control panel.
2. Click Setup tab and then Basic Setup.
3. Under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP), enter the following:
- Static DNS 1: 184.108.40.206
- Static DNS 2: 220.127.116.11
- Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Check
- Use DNSMasq for DNS: Check
- DHCP-Authoritative: Check
Then Save and Apply the new configuration.
4. Click the IPv6 sub-tab, select Disable and Save and Apply the settings.
5. Go to Services>VPN and enable the OpenVPN client.
6. Next, set the following configurations:
- Server IP/Name: Select and enter the desired VyprVPN server. You can find the various server addresses here.
- Port: 443
- Tunnel Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256 CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256
- User Pass Authentication: Enabled
- Username: Your VyprVPN account email address
- Password: Your VyprVPN account password
- Advanced Options: Enable
- TLS Cypher: None
- LZO Compression: Adaptive
- NAT: Enable
- Firewall Protection: Enable
Note: You should leave all other fields with their default values.
7. In the Additional Config box, enter or paste the commands below:
keepalive 10 60
verify-x509-name us4.vyprvpn.com name
7. Download the .crt configuration file here and open it in any text editor. Next, copy and paste its contents in the CA Cert box.
Note: Make sure you paste the entire text, including the —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– and —–END CERTIFICATE—– lines.
8. Click Save and then Apply Settings.
9. Navigate to Administration>Management and click Reboot Router.
Your VyprVPN connection is now active. You can proceed and connect your Roku device to the Wi-Fi connection.
Step 3: Connect Roku to Your Router
After your router has rebooted, follow the steps below to connect Roku:
1. From your Roku home screen, navigate to Settings>Network.
2. Next, select the “Set up new wireless connection” option and click OK.
3. Wait for Roku to scan for available Wireless networks. If yours pops up, click it and enter your password to Connect.
That’s! You’ve successfully set up VyprVPN on your Roku.
Solution 2: Setting Up VyprVPN on Roku Via Virtual Router
Another way you can go about it is to install the VPN on your computer and share the connection with Roku.
Both Windows and Mac support mobile hotspots, and I’ve covered each below.
Follow the steps below to set up VyprVPN on Roku through your Windows PC:
Step 1: Get VyprVPN
Step 2: Download and install the app on your Windows PC.
Step 3: Next, navigate to Settings>Network & Internet.
Step 4: Click Mobile Hotspot on the left sidebar.
Step 5: Next, click “change adapter options” on the right top corner.
Step 6: Double-click on the Tap-VyprVPN Adapter and select the Sharing tab.
Step 7: Mark the box next to the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” field.
Step 8: Under “Home networking connection,” select Wi-Fi.
Step 9: Open the VyprVPN app and connect to a US server location.
And you’re done. Now, connect Roku to your Windows hotspot to unlock a whole new world of content!
With Mac, you cannot use the app to share your connection. That’s because the VyprVPN setup does not work with OpenVPN or Chameleon, and for best results, you need to set up a native L2TP/IPSec connection.
I’ll walk you through the process step by step. Just make sure your Mac is connected via Ethernet.
Step 1: Sign up for VyprVPN.
Step 2: Open System Preferences and navigate to Network.
Step 3: Press the (+) button to add a new connection and enter the following:
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP over IPSec
- Service Name: VyprVPN
Step 4: Next, enter your account details and preferred server address to configure your new VyprVPN connection:
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: Pick a US location from the VyprVPN server list.
- Account Name: Type in your email address
Step 5: Open the Authentication Settings and enter your VyprVPN password in the password field.
Step 6: On the same popup window, under Machine Authentication, pick Shared Secret and enter thisisourkey.
Step 7: Click the Advanced Options button and check “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
Step 8: Press Apply to save your configurations.
Step 9: Now click Connect to establish your VyprVPN connection.
Step 10: Return to System Preferences and click Sharing.
Step 11: Select Internet Sharing and set the following:
- Share your connection from: VyprVPN (or the name you used for your new VyprVPN connection).
- To computers using: Wi-Fi
Step 12: Click Wi-Fi Options enter the following details (You’re creating a Wi-Fi hotspot for your Roku device to connect to):
- Network Name: (enter a name)
- Channel: (leave as default)
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: (enter a password)
- Verify: (re-enter your password)
Step 13: Check the box next to Internet Sharing to start sharing the connection.
Step 14: If prompted, click Start to activate the mobile hotspot.
Step 15: Open Roku and connect to the Wi-Fi network.
I Can't Watch Roku With VyprVPN. What Should I Do?
The first thing you should do if you can’t watch Roku with VyprVPN is to check whether your Roku region and VPN server location match.
Also, sometimes servers go down. Instead of waiting for it to come back online, you can switch to another server and continue enjoying your content.
If nothing works, I suggest contacting customer support for help. You could also check to see if some of the other top VPNs for Roku can help you solve your problem.
Setting up VyprVPN on Roku can be very confusing for the novice VPN user. Just follow the steps above, and you’ll be circumventing geo-blocks on Roku in no time.
I’ve used VyprVPN for over 2 years now, and I’m still impressed by how great the VPN works with Hulu. Its speeds are fast, and the provider has servers worldwide.
Why wait around? Grab our exclusive VyprVPN deal and unblock your favorite content on Roku.