Want to get started ASAP?
Whether you use a Firestick 4K or the first-gen dongle, installing IPVanish isn’t complicated.
I’ve outlined the steps you need to take to make it easier for you.
In my tests, I found IPVanish intuitive to use.
It seamlessly handled everything I threw its way, from 4K videos to accessing geo-restricted content.
Read on to learn how to set up and use IPVanish on Firestick.
4 Quick Steps to Set Up IPVanish on FireStick
- Open the search icon on the home screen of your Firestick and type IPVanish.
- Click “Download” or “Get” to install the app.
- Launch the app and connect to a server in your target country.
- Open your streaming app and enjoy a whole new world of content.
Step-By-Step Guide on How to Install IPVanish on FireStick
IPVanish has a user-friendly Fire TV Stick app that you can download directly through the Amazon App Store.
Currently, the app is only compatible with 2nd and newer generation Fire TV devices.
But, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the VPN on a first-gen Firestick.
I’ll show you how in a bit.
But first, here’s how to install IPVanish on Firestick using the native app:
Step 1: Sign up with IPVanish.
Go to the IPVanish pricing page.
The provider has three pricing plans—monthly, quarterly, and yearly.
All plans have similar features, with the difference being price and subscription length.
The yearly plan offers the biggest discount and, as a result, the best price per month.
After selecting your preferred plan, click “START NOW” and enter your email address and password.
Lastly, choose your payment method and complete the checkout process.
Step 2: Download IPVanish on Your Firestick.
On your Firestick, follow the steps below to download and install the IPVanish app:
- Open Fire TV home screen.
- Navigate to the Find section and click the Search icon.
- Type “IPVanish” and select the VPN from the search suggestions.
- Click on the “IPVanish” app.
- Depending on your Firestick model, press “Download” or “Get” to install the app.
And you’re done.
This method will also work with your Amazon Fire TV Cube and can be done hands-free using Alexa.
How to Use IPVanish on FireStick?
If you can effortlessly use the IPVanish computer or smartphone app, then you’ll likewise have an easy time with its Firestick app.
Follow the steps below to connect to IPVanish and enjoy unrestricted streaming:
- Once the app is installed, click “Open.”
- Log in with your username and password.
- If you want to connect to a specific location, click on “Country” and select your preferred region. You can also narrow it down to a particular city or select “Server” to connect to the fastest server.
- Finally, click “Connect” to connect to IPVanish.
How to Set Up IPVanish on a First Gen FireStick?
Unfortunately, you can’t set up IPVanish on a first-generation Firestick.
Even if you can install the app, it won’t connect and may end up damaging your device.
The only solution is to connect your Firestick to an IPVanish protected connection.
You can do so by setting up the service on a physical or a virtual router.
1. Setting up IPVanish via a Router
First, make sure your router is compatible with IPVanish.
You can install the VPN on:
- Asus Merlin
If your router isn’t compatible, you can change that by flashing it with one of the above firmware.
In my tests, I used a TP-Link router with stock firmware.
If you use a similar router and aren’t ready to flash to the DD-WRT or Tomato, follow the steps below:
- Open your browser and enter 192.168.1.1 or tplinkwifi.net into the address bar.
- On the left side of the dashboard, select “Advanced” and then the “Network” tab.
- Next, click on “Internet.”
- Enter the following under IPv4:
- Internet Connection Type: L2TP
- Username: Your IPVanish username
- Password: Your IPVanish password
- Secondary Connection: Dynamic IP
- VPN Server IP/Domain Name: Enter your chosen IPVanish server name
- MTU size: 1460 (default)
- Connection Mode: check Manually
- Max Idle Time: 0 minutes
- Click “Save.”
- Now, click “Connect” to establish the VPN connection.
- Finally, connect your Firestick to your router.
You should now be able to stream previously inaccessible content.
2. Setting up IPVanish on a Virtual Router
If you don’t have a compatible router, you can set up IPVanish on your Mac or PC and share the VPN-protected connection to your Firestick.
1. Use IPVanish on Firestick via Windows PC
Start by downloading and installing the Windows app if you don’t have it yet, and then follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Hotspot and enable mobile hotspot.
- Click “Change adapter settings” under “Related settings.”
- Right-click on the IPVanish TAP-Windows adapter and then click Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- From the drop-down menu, select the mobile hotspot you just created.
- Launch IPVanish and connect to a server in your target country.
You’ve enabled internet connection sharing on your PC.
Now connect Firestick to the IPVanish-enabled Wi-Fi network you just created.
2. Setting up IPVanish on FireStick via Your Mac
Since IPVanish still supports L2TP/IPsec, you can set up the VPN on your Mac and share its connection to your Firestick.
But unlike Windows, you’ll need to set up the VPN manually and via the macOS app.
Here is a quick walkthrough:
- Go to System preferences>Network.
- Press the Add (+) button to create a connection profile. A popup window will appear, enter the following and click “Create.”
- Interface: VPN
- VPN type: L2TP over IPSec
- Service Name: IPVanish (or any other relevant name)
- Select the connection profile you just created and enter the following:
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: Pick your desired server from the IPVanish server list.
- Account Name: IPVanish_Username
- Press Apply and click on Authentication Settings.
- Enter your IPVanish password in the password field. Under Machine Authentication, select Shared Secret and enter “ipvanish.”
- Click “Advanced,” select “Send all traffic over VPN connection,” and click OK.
- Ensure the “Show VPN status in menu bar” box is checked, and click “Apply” to save all configurations.
- Click “Connect” to start your IPVanish VPN connection.
- Go back to “System preferences.”
- Navigate to Sharing>Internet Sharing and select your IPVanish connection from the “Share your connection from” drop-down menu.
- On the same window, select “Ethernet” in the “To computers using:” drop-down menu.
- Check the “Internet Sharing” box in the “Services” panel. A dialogue box will pop up; click “Start.”
You’re now sharing your IPVanish VPN connection.
All you need to do now is plug in your Firestick to your Mac with a crossover Ethernet cable.
Whichever method you use, you will get equally fast speeds to stream without interruptions.
But when it comes to ease of use, the native app is miles ahead.
I also had an easy time using the service on Firestick via PC.
Like the Fire OS app, the Windows client makes it easy to pick and switch servers to unblock new content.
IPVanish FireStick Connection Failed? (Troubleshooting)
If you get this error on a native client, check whether your Firestick is a second-generation (or newer) model.
If you’re using a compatible device, switch to a different IPVanish server.
When your VPN server is overloaded, it can become unstable, causing your connection to fail.
You should also make sure not to use an inactive server, especially if you configured IPVanish manually.
To change servers, select “Server” and then click “Connect” on the home screen to connect to the best available server.
If you’re still having trouble, I suggest contacting customer support for personalized assistance.
You can reach out to them via email and live chat.
IPVanish Alternatives for FireStick
IPVanish is, without a doubt, an excellent VPN for Firestick.
But for all its benefits, it does have a few weaknesses.
For instance, it no longer works with BBC iPlayer.
So, if you’re a British expat looking to catch up to your favorite shows from back home, IPVanish may not be your best choice.
So what are the best IPVanish alternatives for Firestick?
I tested tens of premium VPNs, and I was impressed with:
The one thing I like the most about NordVPN is its geo-unblocking powers.
In my tests, it unblocked every streaming service, even the stubborn ones like Hulu and BBC iPlayer.
I also found NordVPN to be faster than IPVanish, but not by much.
With the service, you get 5400+ servers worldwide.
Unlike IPVanish, NordVPN offers dedicated IPs.
You also get a user-friendly native app for Firestick.
But the provider only allows 6 simultaneous connections, which is a far cry from the unlimited connections offered by IPVanish.
ExpressVPN delivers arguably the fastest connections of any VPN.
The service only lowered my speeds by about 8% on average when connected to nearby servers.
Even distance servers performed fairly well, allowing me to stream 4K shows on Hulu from Europe.
Plus, the provider supports Smart DNS (MediaStreamer), which you won’t get with IPVanish.
A major drawback with ExpressVPN is its high subscription prices.
The VPN also does not support dedicated IPs and is limited to 5 devices at a go.
CyberGhost offers Smart DNS, dedicated IPs, and even streaming-optimized servers.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly alternative, CyberGhost is an ideal choice.
And it comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Yes, IPVanish is compatible with Firestick.
The provider has a native app that works with second-generation (or newer) Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Cube.
It’s also compatible with Fire TV Edition smart TVs, such as Toshiba, JVC, and Best Buy’s Insignia TV.
You can also set up the service on a first-generation Firestick through your Wi-Fi router or by sharing your IPVanish connection from your Mac or Windows PC.
The IPVanish Firestick app has a split tunneling feature that you can use to specify which apps connect to the internet through the VPN.
IPVanish is free to download on Firestick but not free to use.
You’ll need to purchase a subscription before you can use the VPN.
If you want to test the VPN, you can do so risk-free using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
As you can see, it’s pretty easy to set up IPVanish on Firestick.
Its app is simplistic, and you don’t need to upgrade to a newer model to use the service.
Ready to unlock and stream geo-restricted content on Firestick?
Grab our one-time IPVanish discount, follow this guide, and Bob’s your uncle!