IPVanish is one of the best VPNs for torrenting. But how do I know that?
The VPN provider offers P2P-supported servers, lightning-fast speeds, SOCKS5 proxy support, and robust security, all handy for torrenting.
Also, IPVanish provides smooth compatibility with the most popular torrent clients like Vuze, uTorrent, Deluge, BitTorrent, and qBittorrent.
Want to give IPVanish a shot for torrenting and P2P file sharing?
Read on for everything you need to know, including the best settings.
How to Use IPVanish to Torrent Securely?
Torrenting with IPVanish requires purchasing an IPVanish subscription plan, enabling the kill switch, selecting a suitable protocol, and connecting to the right P2P server.
For better understanding, I’ll show you how to download torrents with IPVanish using two examples.
How to Set Up IPVanish for Torrenting on a PC?
Follow the steps below to set up IPVanish for torrenting on your PC:
- Purchase an IPVanish subscription plan.
- Download and install the app on your PC. I’ll use my Windows PC for this example.
- Launch the app and log in with your IPVanish account credentials.
- Activate the kill switch to prevent accidental data leaks on VPN disconnection. Go to Settings > Connection, then toggle the “Kill Switch” button.
- Click “Protocol” under Settings and select WireGuard.
- Click the “Location” icon and connect to a preferred P2P server. Note that all IPVanish servers are P2P-enabled.
- Verify against IP/DNS leaks. You should get the VPN IP address back, not your IP address. Otherwise, disconnect from the VPN and reconnect.
- Download your preferred torrent client on your PC. I’ll use uTorrent.
- Open your preferred torrenting site, search for your torrent and click either “Download” or “Download Magnet Link.” I’ll use The Pirate Bay.
- Your torrent client (uTorrent, in my case) will automatically prompt you to accept the download. Accept the prompt.
- Your secure and anonymous download should start immediately!
How to Set up IPVanish's SOCKS5 Proxy for Torrenting?
- Select “SOCKS5 Proxy” and click “Reset Credentials.”
- Open your favorite torrent client. I’ll use uTorrent.
- Go to “Options,” then “Preferences.”
- Click “Connection.”
- Unmark all boxes under “Listening Port.”
- Select “SOCKS5” as the proxy server type.
- Next to Proxies, enter the preferred IPVanish SOCKS5 address from the “Host Names” list in step #3 above.
- Type “1080” as the port.
- Mark all boxes under “Proxy Server” and “Proxy Privacy.”
- Enter the username and password generated in step #3 above.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to restart uTorrent.
- Open your torrent site and search for the torrent you want to download. Click on the torrent link to initiate the download.
- Your torrent client will prompt you to accept the download.
- Enjoy fast and secure torrenting with IPVanish’s SOCKS5 Proxy.
IPVanish Torrenting Speed Tests
To determine IPVanish’s torrent speeds, I thoroughly tested the VPN over its nearby and faraway P2P servers. Also, I tested its speeds with the SOCKS5 proxy enabled.
The following are my findings!
Baseline Download Data and Speed
First, I downloaded a 4.43GB copyright-free movie series using uTorrent without IPVanish’s VPN connection.
|P2P server location||None|
|Time Taken||18m 40s|
|Max Download Speed||568KB/s|
|Average Download Speed||462KB/s|
So, I’ll use these baseline data to compare IPVanish’s torrent speed when connected to the nearest server, remote server, and over its SOCKS5 Proxy.
Speed Tests on IPVanish’s Nearest P2P Server
I was in Kenya during these tests, where IPVanish has no servers.
So, I connected to the IPVanish South African P2P server (the closest) to download the same 4.43GB movie on uTorrent.
|P2P server location||Johannesburg - South Africa|
|Time Taken||12m 0s|
|Max Download Speed||956.6KB/s|
|Average Download Speed||723.1KB/s|
It’s pretty impressive that I completed the download in 12 minutes with an average download speed of 723.1KB/s. This shows that my download speed increased by 56.5%, even better since my IP and torrent traffic was encrypted.
Moving on, I switched to a faraway server for further tests!
Speed Tests on IPVanish’s Faraway P2P Server
Here, I connected to IPVanish’s Mexico server, which is approximately the farthest from Kenya.
Here are the results from downloading the same 4.43GB film on uTorrent.
|P2P server location||Guadalajara - México|
|Time Taken||14m 32s|
|Max Download Speed||786.5KB/s|
|Average Download Speed||600KB/s|
It took me 14 minutes with an average download speed of 600KB/s to download the film.
So, using a remote server mathematically resulted in a 29.9% speed increase compared to my test results without a VPN connection.
However, that isn’t as fast as when connected to a nearby server in South Africa!
Speed Tests With SOCKS5 Proxy Enabled
I also tested speed with IPVanish SOCKS5 Proxy enabled to determine how it compares with torrenting speeds on nearby and faraway VPN servers.
Here are the results I got!
|P2P server location||None|
|Time Taken||8m 58s|
|Max Download Speed||1.3MB/s|
|Average Download Speed||984.6KB/s|
Clearly, that’s faster (113%+) than all other test results above!
But let’s compare the four tests now!
IPVanish Torrenting Speed Tests (Bottom Line)
The table below briefly compares all of my tests above.
Have a glance!
|Average download speed||Max download speed||Time Taken|
|Baseline data (No VPN)||462KB/s||568KB/s||18m 40s|
|Nearby server||723.1KB/s||956.6KB/s||12m 0s|
|Faraway server||600KB/s||786.5KB/s||14m 32s|
|SOCKS5 Proxy enabled||984.6KB/s||1.3MB/s||8m 58s|
IPVanish offers reliable torrent speeds, bypassing ISP throttling to ensure better download speeds. While a nearby server is better than faraway servers, you can get the best results on its SOCKS5 proxy servers.
Reasons Why IPVanish Is Good for Torrenting
IPVanish offers robust encryption, an audited no-logs data policy, and a kill switch to protect your torrent history and traffic. Likewise, you’ll get an extensive library of P2P-supported servers, unmatched speeds, SOCKS5 proxy support, and unlimited connections.
But how are these IPVanish extras handy for torrenting?
Let’s take a closer look!
Though not the fastest VPN I’ve tested, IPVanish offers ultra-fast download speeds.
I’m satisfied with IPVanish’s server speeds to download a 4.43GB copyright-free movie in 12 minutes.
Anyone with whom you share the same peer network can see your IP address.
And if that’s not scary, your preferred torrent site may carry corrupted files which introduce viruses/malware to your computer.
Thankfully, IPVanish offers military-grade AES 256-bit encryption to protect your internet connection. This encryption also keeps out Wi-Fi snoopers, cybercriminals, copyright trolls, and your ISP, ensuring total online privacy.
IPVanish’s internet kill switch prevents IP/DNS leaks when the VPN connection drops unexpectedly.
To enable the kill switch in the app, click Settings > Connection, then toggle the button next to “Kill Switch.”
That way, your internet connection will be blocked whenever you’re not connected to the VPN. This will come in handy to ensure your ISP or copyright trolls don’t find out, even for a second, that you’re grabbing torrent files.
IPVanish supports multiple protocols that prioritize both torrenting speed and security. Its WireGuard protocol is the most recommended one, offering faster speeds and stronger cybersecurity.
Other reliable IPVanish protocols to consider include IKEv2 and IPSec.
IPVanish offers 2000+ servers in 75+ countries. This means the more servers to explore, the higher the chances of finding a nearby server to experience better torrent speeds.
The better part is that all those servers are P2P supported, meaning you can freely torrent on a preferred server without restriction.
Device Compatibility and Simultaneous Connections
IPVanish has dedicated apps for PCs (macOS, Chromebooks, Linux, Windows) and iOS/Android devices. And most importantly, you can torrent on as many devices as possible since IPVanish supports unlimited simultaneous connections.
Torrent Client Compatibility
IPVanish is compatible with popular torrent clients like BitTorrent, uTorrent, Vuze, Deluge, and qBittorrent. So, you can use more than just a few torrenting apps.
Despite not offering port forwarding, IPVanish supports the SOCKS5 proxy service, which provides better torrent speeds. However, always remember that SOCKS5 Proxy doesn’t use encryptions on its servers like the standard IPVanish servers.
Instead, the SOCKS5 Proxy provides better online anonymity by channeling your traffic via a remote server to make it look like you’re using the internet from a different location.
3 IPVanish Alternatives for Torrenting
IPVanish doesn’t offer port forwarding like some competitors.
Also, if you’re on a budget or need better speeds, it’s reasonable to check how IPVanish compares with other VPN services.
So, let’s closely examine my three IPVanish VPN alternatives for torrenting.
ExpressVPN offers blazing-fast torrenting speeds, averaging 6 minutes to download a 4.43GB movie when connected to a nearby server and 8 minutes while connected to a remote server.
On top of that, ExpressVPN also offers:
- IP/DNS leak protection – ExpressVPN’s built-in kill switch prevents WebRTC/IP/DNS leaks in case the VPN connection drops.
- P2P-supported servers – The VPN provider boasts 3000+ P2P servers in 94 countries, so you can easily connect to a nearby server and enjoy fast download speeds.
- Split tunneling – ExpressVPN uses split tunneling to connect the VPN only on selected apps (like your torrenting client) while allowing direct local network connection on other apps.
- Port forwarding – Enjoy enhanced torrenting speed and seeding with ExpressVPN’s port forwarding feature. However, it’s only supported on the router app.
Convinced? Grab these ExpressVPN deals to try it for 30 days!
NordVPN impresses with its Threat Protection feature to block annoying ads and secure my device(s) from malware-infected downloads.
Also, the VPN provider offers other torrent-suitable features such as:
- Strong encryption – NordVPN’s AES 256-bit encryption ensures your IP/DNS requests don’t leak to third parties.
- Strict no-logs policy – NordVPN offers an independently audited no-logs policy, meaning it doesn’t log your torrent activities.
- Dedicated P2P servers – Unlike other VPN providers, NordVPN is the only preferred alternative VPN I reviewed that offers dedicated P2P servers. Thus, you’ll enjoy fast, safe, and easy torrenting.
- Kill switch – NordVPN offers two kill switches; a standard internet kill switch that stops the internet connection if your VPN disconnects unexpectedly, and an app kill switch. With the second option, you can configure your torrent client app to disconnect when the VPN disconnects.
Want to give NordVPN a shot? Don’t forget to grab these NordVPN deals while they last!
Private Internet Access (PIA)
Here’s Private Internet Access (PIA), offering a one-click port forwarding solution to enhance your torrenting experience with fast speeds. Besides that, PIA also has:
- P2P-friendly servers – PIA offers an extensive library of P2P-optimized servers in 84 countries. Thus, you can easily find a reliable server near you to torrent hassle-free.
- Kill switch – PIA also provides an automatic kill switch to prevent IP/DNS leaks by disconnecting you when the VPN connection drops.
- Incredible speeds – Enjoy fast torrenting speeds on all PIA’s regular servers. The VPN provider also supports port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxy servers that offer enhanced speeds.
- Impenetrable encryption – In addition to PIA’s securely fast WireGuard protocol, the VPN provider also offers military-grade AES 256-bit encryption. Thus, you’re always safe against IP/DNS/WebRTC leaks whenever torrenting.
Interested! Get these PIA offers now.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Using IPVanish to torrent is legal in most countries.
However, torrenting copyrighted materials is illegal in some nations. Likewise, it might be illegal to torrent using IPVanish in some countries that restrict VPN usage.
Yes, you can use IPVanish’s free version for torrenting.
The free version gives you full access to all VPN features, including an extensive server network, unthrottled speeds, and strong protection.
No, IPVanish doesn’t offer specialized servers for P2P traffic.
Instead, all its servers are P2P friendly, meaning you can connect to nearby servers and enjoy hassle-free torrenting.
Yes, you can seed torrents using IPVanish, as its customer care personnel reported. However, it’s subjective, and you won’t get it every time due to ISP and torrent site limitations.
Putting Everything Together!
IPVanish is an ideal VPN service for downloading torrents and P2P file sharing.
It has robust security to hide your identity and torrent traffic, offers fast download speed, and provides an extensive network of P2P-optimized servers.
Want to get started with IPVanish for torrenting? Take advantage of these IPVanish offers and save more on your subscription!