You can set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) on your NordVPN account by activating it on the NordVPN PC/mobile app settings or via the web account, preferably using a third-party authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator.
Enabling multi-factor authentication ensures a higher level of account security to keep out unauthorized users and hackers.
Learn how to set up this vital security feature on NordVPN to enjoy better online privacy.
How to Set Up NordVPN’s Multi-Factor Authentication? (Stepwise Guide)
You can easily set up the multi-factor authentication via the NordVPN app (smartphone and PC) by following the steps below:
- Open the NordVPN app and click on Settings for PC. For mobile users, tap the Account icon > Settings icon.
- Open the “Profile” section to see your account information.
- Click “Multi-factor authentication.”
- Click “Manage MFA.”
- You’ll need to verify your account to prove you’re the one making sensitive changes.
- Next, select your verification mode. You can use an Authentication app or Security key.
Here’s how to correctly set up MFA using your preferred method:
Through an Authentication App
You need to download a preferred authenticator app for this method.
I highly recommend Microsoft Authenticator as it works with everyday devices and across PC and mobile operating systems.
Do these after downloading and logging into your authenticator app:
- Choose “Authenticator app” as your preferred MFA mode on the NordVPN page. A QR code appears.
- Open the authenticator app on your smartphone, and click the plus sign to add an account.
- Choose Other the account type.
- Scan the Quick Response (QR) code on NordVPN’s multi-factor authentication setup page with your smartphone.
- Optional: Copy the link below the QR code and paste it into your authenticator app.
- Click “Continue” to finalize your MFA setup.
- Paste a newly-generated code from your authenticator app to NordVPN.
- You’ll get backup codes to regain access if you lose your MFA app. You can take a screenshot or print it and keep it secure.
With Security Keys
Your security key could be a FIDO2-certified USB (preferred for PCs), an NFC, or a Bluetooth-enabled device (best for smartphones).
Follow these easy steps to set up security keys for MFA:
- Click “Set up” in front of the security key option.
- Insert the security key device and press the button on the key to activate it for NordVPN.
- Once you’ve completed the setup, you’ll be prompted to log out from all devices.
While setting up multi-factor authentication with a security key is easy, it requires an extra hardware device. Still, it guarantees arguably better privacy than an authenticator app. Also, most popular security keys have apps that work with them.
Benefits of Using NordVPN's Multi-Factor Authentication
Multi-factor authentication provides an extra layer of privacy to your NordVPN account since anyone logging in must provide more information than your email and password.
MFA also protects your privacy tool from hackers or friends guessing your password.
Thus, locking out unauthorized users. Likewise, it’s an effective tool against data loss via device theft since a stolen device no longer means a stolen NordVPN account.
Can’t Set Up NordVPN’s Multi-Factor Authentication? 3 Easy Fixes
The wrong setup procedure or an unsupported security key is mostly the cause of NordVPN’s multi-factor authentication errors.
Here are easy fixes to try:
- Change to a supported browser to set up the process. I recommend Google Chrome or Safari.
- Generate and use a new multi-factor authentication code from your authentication app.
- Contact customer care.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, NordVPN’s multi-factor authentication, or MFA, is better than 2-factor authentication (2FA) as it uses more than two ways to protect your Nord account.
Yes, you can turn off NordVPN’s MFA from the account settings, but it’s not advisable. Instead, you can reduce the MFA options you have enabled or switch to other options the provider offers.
You can use one of the pre-saved backup codes to log into your NordVPN account and disable multi-factor authentication. You can also contact NordVPN customer care for more guidance.
Multi-factor authentication will add an extra layer of privacy to your NordVPN account.
That way, you keep unauthorized users out and guarantee the safety of your account’s sensitive information.