PrivateVPN works perfectly with Sling TV. On top of unblocking the streaming service outside the US, the VPN delivers fast server speeds, allowing you to stream without buffering.
Plus, it’s highly compatible, so you can watch Sling TV on your favorite streaming device.
Ready to stream Sling with PrivateVPN?
You can grab our time-limited deal and save a few bucks.
Otherwise, keep reading to find out how to unblock Sling with PrivateVPN and watch live US TV channels from abroad.
Quick Guide: Unblock Sling TV With PrivateVPN in 5 Steps!
Watching Sling TV with PrivateVPN is straightforward and can be done in 5 quick steps:
- Subscribe to PrivateVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your streaming device.
- Launch the app and log in.
- Connect to a US server.
- Open the Sling TV app and start streaming.
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Stream Sling TV With PrivateVPN?
Here is a detailed guide for streaming Sling TV with PrivateVPN:
- Sign up for PrivateVPN.
PrivateVPN has apps for Mac, PC, iPhone, Amazon Fire TV, Android TVs, and Android smartphones.
Don’t worry if your streaming device isn't on this list. Below, I’ll outline the setup process for no-compatible devices (Apple TV, Roku, Xbox).
- Launch the application and sign in.
- On the home screen, click “Change” to open the “Server list” and connect to a USA server.
- Go to the Sling TV website or launch the Sling TV app to start streaming.
If you don’t have a Sling TV account, you can quickly create one through the Sling TV website or app.
I’ve also outlined how to subscribe to the streaming service from outside the US. Continue reading to learn how.
Easy, right? If you have a premium subscription, you can now access all your favorite Sling TV channels from outside the US.
Can I Subscribe to Sling TV Outside the US?
You can subscribe to Sling outside the US. Currently, the streaming company only accepts US payment methods, but you can still sign up with a gift card.
Alternatively, you can use a US virtual credit card to purchase your subscription.
I find gift cards much easier to use, and you can get one at any of the following online stores:
- PayPal Store
Here are the steps you should follow to purchase a gift card and subscribe to Sling TV outside the US:
- Open PrivateVPN and connect to a USA server location.
- Visit a trusted online store and search “Sling TV gift card.”
- Select the gift card amount.
Make sure the amount you select can cover your preferred Sling TV subscription package.
Sling offers 2 basic packages – Sling Blue and Sling Orange. Each is available at $35/month, and you can combine them at a discounted $50/month.
- Once you enter the amount, select “This is for me” and “Add to Cart” to checkout.
You’ll receive your Sling TV gift card in your PayPal email address.
To subscribe using the gift card, connect to a PrivateVPN US server to obtain a US IP. Then go to the Sling TV official website and click the “Gift cards” option on the bottom left corner.
Which Streaming Devices Work With Sling TV and PrivateVPN?
How you unblock Sling TV with PrivateVPN will depend on your device.
The streaming service is available on multiple devices, including
- Windows 10 PCs
- iOS (iPhone & iPad)
- Android (Smartphones & Tablets)
- Amazon FireTV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Smart TVs (Samsung, LG, Vizio)
While PrivateVPN only has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, you can use the VPN with all Sling devices.
Watch Sling TV on Streaming Devices
While watching Sling TV on desktop and mobile is straightforward, you need a few extra steps to unblock the platform on streaming devices.
That’s because most streaming devices lack built-in VPN functionality, so you can’t install PrivateVPN directly.
And you can’t unblock Sling TV with Smart DNS either since PrivateVPN doesn’t offer the service.
To watch Sling on streaming devices with PrivateVPN, set up the VPN on your router and connect to the protected WiFi network.
If you don’t have a router, you can set up the VPN on your Mac or PC and share the connection to your streaming device.
Both solutions should work with all Sling TV compatible devices, including Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, Chromecast, and smart TV.
Here is the step-by-step guide:
1. Set Up PrivateVPN on Your Router
PrivateVPN is compatible with multiple routers, including
- Asus RT
The setup process differs depending on the router firmware, but the provider has installation guides for each.
Generally, the setup process should be as follows:
- Find the VPN section in your router.
- Enter your PrivateVPN account details.
- Download and upload the PrivateVPN certificate.
- Choose a US server and enter the address to connect.
You can find the server addresses on the PrivateVPN server list.
Since you want to access Sling TV, make sure you pick a US server.
2. Set Up PrivateVPN on Your PC or Mac (Virtual Router)
If you don’t wish to set up the VPN on your router, you can install it on your computer and share the VPN connection via a mobile hotspot.
Here are the steps you should follow:
Start by installing the PrivateVPN client on your PC.
The provider offers a user-friendly client that you can download on the official website.
After you set up the app on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings>Network & Internet and select “Mobile hotspot.”
- Select “Wi-Fi” and toggle “Mobile hotspot.”
- In the same window, select “Change adapter options.”
- Right-click on “PrivateVPN Connection” and click Properties.
- Select the ”Sharing” tab and mark the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- Under “Home networking connection,” select your active network connection from the drop-down menu and press Ok.
- Launch PrivateVPN and log in with your account details.
- Connect to a US VPN server.
- On your streaming device, connect to the PrivateVPN-enabled WiFi network you just created.
You can now stream Sling TV on your Apple TV, Roku, or smart TV.
Mac allows you to share L2TP/IPsec VPN connections via WiFi.
Luckily, PrivateVPN is one of the few top VPN services that still offer the legacy protocol.
Here are the steps you should follow to use PrivateVPN with your streaming device via Mac:
- Go to the PrivateVPN website and download the macOS client.
- Right-click on the PrivateVPN installation package and click “Open.”
- You’ll be prompted to confirm opening a file from an unidentified developer. Again. Click “Open.”
- Click “Continue” and “Install” to complete the setup.
- If prompted, type in your admin username and password and click “Install Software.”
- Launch PrivateVPN to install the helper tool. When prompted, enter your admin username and password and click “Install Helper.”
- Enter your PrivateVPN account details to log in.
- Open “System Preferences” and click “Sharing.”
- Select “Internet Sharing” and set the following configuration:
- Share your connection from: VPN (L2TP)
- To computers using: Wi-Fi
- Go to “Wi-Fi options” and set the following:
- Network Name: (enter any name)
- Channel: (leave as default)
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: (enter a password)
- Verify: (re-enter your password)
- Turn on “Internet Sharing.”
That’s it! You’re now sharing your PrivateVPN connection.
Connecting to this new WiFi network should unblock Sling automatically.
PrivateVPN Not Unblocking Sling TV? Here’s What To Do
Few VPNs are as good at unblocking Sling TV as PrivateVPN.
You can expect a smooth streaming experience, but if you run into issues, try the following:
1. Clear Your Cookies
Browser cookies store lots of information, including your IP address.
This data can give up your actual location when connected to PrivateVPN.
Clear your browser cookies and restart your browser before reopening Sling TV.
2. Enable the Kill Switch
An IP leak beats the purpose of a VPN. It lets Sling know your real location and can even result in your PrivateVPN server being blacklisted.
Luckily, PrivateVPN comes with a kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection to help stop that from happening. Ensure all three options are enabled.
Best PrivateVPN Alternatives for Sling TV
PrivateVPN can easily access Sling TV from anywhere.
But the fact that the VPN provider doesn’t offer a Smart DNS service is a major drawback.
While traditional Smart TVs aren’t compatible with VPNs, most allow you to bypass Sling TV geo-restrictions via Smart DNS.
This eliminates the need to set up a VPN on your router when watching Sling TV on Apple TV, Xbox, or Smart TVs.
Smart DNS also delivers faster speeds than your average VPN internet connection, enabling you to stream Sling TV in HD even with as little as 5 Mbps download speeds.
Luckily, multiple providers support Smart DNS. Here are my top picks for Sling TV:
Surfshark supports Smart DNS, allowing you to access Sling TV on devices that don’t natively support VPNs. Besides Sling TV, the VPN service also works with Hulu, HBO Max, and other US streaming services.
Another thing I like about Surfshark is that it allows you to connect as many devices as you want. While PrivateVPN’s support for 10 simultaneous connections is commendable, with Surfshark, you can access Sling TV on all your devices and even share the VPN with friends and family.
NordVPN boasts faster US server speeds than PrivateVPN and unblocks Sling TV seamlessly. The provider also offers Smart DNS so you can access Sling TV on a broader range of devices.
CyberGhost is another Sling TV VPN that supports Smart DNS.
It also boasts streaming-optimized servers with fast and stable connections for crisp streaming.
While not as affordable as PrivateVPN, CyberGhost offers an unbeatable 45-day money-back guarantee so you can test the VPN risk-free.
It’s legal to watch Sling TV with PrivateVPN.
The US has no laws that ban VPNs or make using one with Sling TV illegal.
Sling TV doesn’t allow VPN or proxy services and actively tries to detect and block VPN connections. Still, you can reliably unblock the streaming service with a good VPN.
But while Sling blocks connections from detected VPN servers, it won’t ban your account for using a VPN.
You can stream Sling TV in Canada with PrivateVPN.
Just launch the VPN and connect to a US VPN server location.
The best PrivateVPN server for Sling TV is the one nearest to you.
Distance increases ping, and the lower ping, the better the streaming experience.
But since PrivateVPN indicates the ping for each of their US servers, I recommend connecting to the server with the lowest ping at any given time.
PrivateVPN is an excellent VPN for Sling TV, thanks to its fast and reliable geo-unblocking capabilities. All its US servers work with the streaming service, and the VPN is pretty easy to set up.
Whether you want to watch the NFL on ESPN or Chicago Fire on NBC, you can unblock Sling with PrivateVPN in Minutes.
Grab our exclusive PrivateVPN discount and save big on your first subscription.