Chromecast doesn’t support VPNs. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t set up Surfshark. For example, you can use a router or virtual router and then connect your Chromecast.
In this guide, I’ll take you through setting up Surfshark on Chromecast in simple, easy-to-follow steps. Keep reading!
Easy Steps to Set Up Surfshark on Chromecast (Quick Fix)
Here are the quick steps you need to use Surfshark on Chromecast:
- Subscribe to Surfshark.
- Download and install the Surfshark app on your computer or laptop.
- Launch the app and log in.
- Connect to a VPN server in your preferred country. For example, connect to an American server if you want to stream US Netflix.
- On your PC, go to Settings-Network & Internet.
- Click “Mobile hotspot” and turn ON the “Share my Internet connection with other devices” option.
- Connect Chromecast and your phone to the virtual router.
- Stream. You have access to previously blocked movies and TV shows.
Using Chromecast With Surfshark (Physical Router)
This approach requires a Surfshark VPN client-compatible router and VPN app.
- Open the router configuration panel. To do this, enter your router’s IP address in your browser, just like a URL.
- For Windows 10 users, open the “Start” menu, type “Command Prompt,” and open the program. Then type “ipconfig” and press enter. Your router’s IP address is on the “Default Gateway” line.
- For Mac users, head to “System Preferences.” Find and click the “Network” icon, select your network connection (Wi-Fi, wired), and click the “Advanced” button at the bottom. Go to the “Network” window, and select the “TCP/IP” tab. You should see your router’s IP address listed as “Router.”
- Next, follow Surfshark guides for setting up a VPN. Here are Surfshark’s instructions for setting up a VPN on Tomato routers, Asus routers, and DD-WRT routers.
Once the setup is complete, all devices connected to that router are VPN secured, and all data is encrypted.
- Connect to the server of your choice and use your Chromecast as usual.
Using Chromecast With Surfshark - Virtual Router (Windows 10)
Windows 10 has a useful mobile hotspot function that makes it simple to share your VPN connection over Wi-Fi. Here’s how to do it.
- Navigate to “Settings,” then “Network and Internet,” and then “Mobile Hotspot” on your PC.
- Turn the “Mobile Hotspot” ON.
- On the right, click “Change adapter options.”
- In the window that opens, right-click on the theTAP-Surfshark Driver and select “Properties.”
- Go to “Sharing” and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Choose your newly-created hotspot in the drop-down menu. Click “OK.” Your virtual router is good to go!
- Next, open the “Google Home app on your device.”
- Hit the ”discover” button.
- Pick the Chromecast device and select “Set up.”
- On the Connect to Wi-Fi screen, pick the virtual router you set up.
- Type the password and hit “Next.”
Your Chromecast is connected to your VPN-enabled virtual router.
You can now explore a wide range of new content!
Using Chromecast With a VPN Method 2: Virtual Router (MacOS)
You can also create a mobile hotspot to share your VPN-protected connection from your macOS computer. You will need an Ethernet cable to do this.
Use a USB adapter if your Mac doesn’t have an Ethernet port.
- Download the Surfshark app from the Mac App Store.
- Connect your Mac to your router with an Ethernet cable. This won’t work if you connect using Wi-Fi.
- Open the Surfshark app. It’ll open in your Mac’s menu bar.
- Use the OpenVPN (UDP) protocol. You’ll find it in Settings > Protocol.
- Connect to your preferred VPN server.
- Add VPN configuration. Two boxes will pop up. Click “Add VPN Configuration” on the first and “Allow” on the second.
- Next, share your VPN connection on Wi-Fi. To do this, return to System Preferences, and hit Sharing. Click Internet Sharing and select “Surfshark OpenVPN (UDP)” from the “Share your connection” drop-down menu.
- Now, create a secure connection by clicking on Wi-Fi Options. Then use these details:
- Network Name: (Create one that you can remember)
- Channel: leave as the default
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: (Create one that you can remember)
- Start sharing. Return to the Sharing menu and select Internet Sharing. When the prompt opens, press the “Start” button. Once enabled, a green light will appear next to “Internet Sharing,” and the Wi-Fi sign in your Mac’s menu bar will show an upwardly pointing arrow.
- Connect your Chromecast and mobile device to the new shared Wi-Fi connection. They must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
To create a new Wi-Fi network on Chromecast, delete/forget the current one using the Google Home app. To do this, navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi and choose to Forget this network. After that, you can connect to your new virtual router.
Use the password you set up in Step 8 above.
Setting Up Surfshark on Chromecast With Google TV
Use the steps below to install Surfshark on Chromecast with Google TV.
- On your Chromecast with Google TV screen, select ”Apps” from the main menu.
- Click the “search” bar and search for Surfshark.
- Click “Install” to download.
- After the download process is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to Log in to your Surfshark Account.
- Click “Quick-connect.”
- Surfshark on Chromecast with Google TV is now activated.
Alternative Method: Mirror Your Screen to Chromecast
You can mirror your screen from any computer using the Google Chrome browser.
Then, connect your computer to Surfshark to watch streaming content on your Chromecast.
This method uses Google Chrome on Chrome, Linux, Windows, and macOS.
However, the streaming quality will be worse than the other methods covered.
Here’s how to use Chromecast from the Google Chrome browser:
- Disconnect your computer from the VPN.
- Open Google Chrome and click the “menu button” in the top right corner.
- Click “Cast.”
- Click the down arrow next to “Sources” and make sure the “Cast” tab is selected.
- Pick your Chromecast device as the destination.
- Open the VPN app and ensure the network discovery option is checked in the app’s settings.
- Connect to your preferred VPN server in the country that you want. For instance, pick a server in the US to watch US Netflix.
- That’s it. The content will automatically show on your Chromecast.
You can get an awesome deal here if you haven’t already purchased a Surfshark subscription.
Unfortunately, you cannot use Smart DNS with Chromecast devices.
This is because, even if you set your router to use your VPN’s Smart DNS function, the Chromecast is designed to only communicate with Google’s DNS servers.
Chromecast requires the same IP address as the device from which you are casting. Technically, this means they must both use the same network.
However, because a VPN changes your IP address, this might be complicated if you change your IP address on your phone but not your TV.
Wrapping It Up
That’s how to use Surfshark with Chromecast! Now you can watch your favorite shows and movies on your Chromecast whenever you want! Plus, you’ll have super-fast streaming speeds.
If you don’t have a subscription, purchase a Surfshark plan now to benefit from robust online security!