Setting up and using Surfshark with qBittorrent is easy and takes only a few steps.
You can use the Surfshark app for system-wide encryption or bind the Surfshark IP to qBitTorrent for added security.
For many users, qBittorrent is the complete torrent client — lightweight, cross-platform, feature-rich, and reliable.
However, using qBittorrent, or any torrent client for that matter, comes with its share of risks. If your IP remains visible and your data transmission unencrypted, it is open to outside access and monitoring from your ISP, government agencies, copyright trolls, and hackers.
In this guide, I’ll walk you through setting up and using Surfshark with qBittorrent to protect your torrenting activities.
How to Use Surfshark With qBittorrent?
You’ll need the qBittorrent software installed on your computer and an active subscription from Surfshark. You can easily sign up with an attractive discount here.
Then, you can configure Surfshark on your system using the Surfshark app, which enables it system-wide. Or, you can bind your Surfshark IP to qBittorrent by configuring the relevant settings inside the software.
Let’s take a look at both methods.
Use Surfshark App With qBittorrent
This approach works with both Mac and Windows computers and Linux environments. You simply install the Surfshark app from their website and turn on the VPN switch.
Follow these steps to set things up:
- Buy a Surfshark plan. Get discounts and deals here.
- Download and install the Surfshark app from the official website.
- Open the app and log into your Surfshark account.
- Click the Settings cog wheel and go to VPN settings.
- Change the protocol option from Auto to WireGuard. This guarantees you the best speed without compromising on security.
- Choose a server from the list of available locations. Your nearest server is best for speed and security.
- Wait for the connection to complete.
- Click on the upward arrow showing the server location under the section.
- Turn on the VPN Kill Switch toggle here to ensure no network activity in the event of a connection drop.
- You’re done! Now you can launch and use qBittorrent, as usual, to hide your IP and encrypt your traffic.
Bind Your Surfshark IP to qBittorrent
While this method takes a little more work, it can be a good idea to bolster your privacy and security further. Binding your Surfshark IP to qBittorrent ensures it only routes data through the VPN.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Complete all the steps detailed in the above section.
- Open qBittorrent and go to Tools > Options. You can also use the convenient keyboard shortcut Alt + O.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- In the Network Interface option, click on the dropdown and choose the Surfshark WireGuard option.
- Click Apply and OK to exit the settings window.
- That does it! You just need to restart the qBittorrent app once, and it will now be IP-bound to your Surfshark virtual network interface.
What Makes Surfshark Ideal for qBittorrent?
Surfshark can be an excellent option if you’re a heavy torrent user and need a VPN for safe usage or if torrenting is blocked/illegal in your country.
It has several P2P-focused features that make it an optimal choice for torrenting applications, such as:
- Vast P2P-Friendly Network of Servers. Sufshark operates over 3,200 servers spread across 100+ countries, with many of these optimized for P2P traffic. This ensures that you never run out of options while torrenting.
- Strict No-Logs Policy. Surfshark doesn’t collect or store any identifying customer information. The company has a strict no-logging policy and will never monitor or store your browsing history, torrenting activities, or IP address.
- Military-Grade Encryption. Any data passing through a Surfshark connection is protected from prying eyes using AES 256-bit military-grade encryption.
- Efficient Kill Switch Feature. This feature shuts down all network traffic in case of a connection drop or outage. Enable the kill switch, and you’ll ensure no data leaks, even when the VPN fails.
- Lightning Speeds for Fast Downloads. The fast WireGuard protocol, along with many P2P-optimized servers to choose from, culminates in a speedy, convenient experience when using Surfshark for torrent downloads.
Why Is My Surfshark-qBittorrent Connection Not Working: 7 Quick Fixes
Your Surfshark-qBittorrent connection may not be working due to a pending Surfshark or qBittorrent app update, not having connected to a P2P-optimized server, having the IPv6 protocol enabled on your local network, or DNS caching errors.
Here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
- Connect to P2P-Optimized Servers. Instead of randomly choosing a server from the list, filter P2P-optimized servers by typing “P2P” in the search field.
- Disable IPv6 Protocol. Surfshark doesn’t support the IPv6 protocol. If this is enabled for your local network, it can create conflicts while using the VPN. Try disabling it and connecting to Surfshark again to resolve any issues.
- Perform a DNS Flush. Connection and performance issues arising from DNS caching errors can be easily handled by manually flushing the cache. Use the appropriate method for your platform and restart your computer before connecting to Surfshark.
- Update the Surfshark App. An update can fix issues resulting from bugs and software problems. You can check for an update to the Surfshark app from within the settings.
- Update the qBittorrent App. Similarly, you can check if the qBittorrent app has a pending update to take care of issues. Use the Help section of the app for this.
- Restart Both Surfshark and qBittorrent. Sometimes, restarting the Surfshark and qBittorrent apps might do the trick if you face low speeds or problems establishing a connection.
- Contact Surfshark Customer Support. If all else fails, get in touch with Surfshark customer support. Support representatives are helpful and respond quickly.
That’s it. You can see how easy it is to get up and running with Surfshark and qBittorrent. My experience using it has been trouble-free, and I hope yours will be too.
Ready to get started? Grab a Surfshark subscription today and enjoy an attractive discount on your first purchase!