Only the latest Chromecast models allow you to install a VPN directly.
Fortunately, you can still use a VPN with Chromecast via a native VPN app, virtual router, or mirroring your screen.
I’ll discuss these methods in this guide, along with my top 3 VPN recommendations for Chromecast.
So continue reading if you want to bypass geo-restrictions with a Chromecast VPN!
Step-By-Step Guide to Use Chromecast With a VPN
I’ve documented all the different methods to use Chromecast with a VPN in the most simplified manner.
Method 1: Download the Native VPN App
The most straightforward way to install a VPN on Chromecast is through the Google Play store.
Or, If you have a newer model of Chromecast, you can even use Chromecast with Google TV to download the VPN app.
Hold the Google Assistant button and say “Install NordVPN” or any other VPN, and it will take you to the installation page of that app.
Method 2: Install a VPN on Your Wi-Fi Router
If your TV doesn’t have the play store, install the VPN on your physical router, so when you connect the Chromecast through Wi-Fi, it will use the VPN connection via your router.
Not all routers support VPNs, so first, find a VPN compatible with your router.
I’ll be installing ExpressVPN on an Asus router for this demonstration.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN and go to the setup page.
- Select the router option from the left menu, pick your router and download the firmware.
- Open the admin panel of your Asus router. (this typically is 192.168.1.1)
- Login with your router credentials.
- From the left menu, click on VPN under “Advanced settings.”
- Select the VPN client tab and click on “Add profile.”
- Select the “OpenVPN Protocol” and fill in the following details:
- Description: Give a name to your VPN connection.
- Username and Password: ExpressVPN credentials
- Upload the .ovpn config file that you downloaded in the second step.
- Press OK to add the VPN profile, then click on Activate.
- Lastly, go to your Chromecast’s settings and connect to the Wi-Fi router you’ve set up to enjoy an interrupted VPN connection.
Method 3: Set Up a Virtual VPN Router
Never mind if your router is unsupported by your preferred VPN or the setup seems too complex. You can also use Chromecast With a VPN by creating a virtual router on your PC or Mac.
For starters, sign up for a VPN and download its app on your device.
Ensure you connect to any VPN server before following these instructions.
- Open “Network & Internet” from your PC settings and choose the “Mobile hotspot” feature.
- Turn on the mobile hotspot and pick Wi-Fi from the “Share my Internet connection from” dropdown.
- Go to the “change adapter settings,” right-click on the VPN adapter you built, and view its “Properties.”
- In Properties, go to the “sharing tab” and enable “Allow other network users to connect through the computer’s connection.
- Select the VPN network you created in the “Home Network connection” dropdown and click “OK.”
- Now, connect to your PC hotspot on your Chromecast to relish the VPN connection.
- Visit the System preferences of your Mac and select “Network.”
- Select “Add VPN Configuration” by clicking on the three dots in the lower right corner and choose L2TP over IPSec.
- Then, enter the following details in the pop-up:
- Make up your own server address.
- Enter your VPN credentials in the account name and password.
- Make up your own shared secret.
- Select the “Options” menu and toggle “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
- After that, click on the “Create” button.
- Once this is done, go to the “Sharing” tab from General.
- Toggle “Internet sharing” and click on the “i” next to it.
- Pick the VPN adapter from the “Share your connection from” dropdown and check the Wi-Fi box in the “To computer using” menu.
- Finally, connect your Chromecast to your Mac’s hotspot to start sharing the VPN connection.
Method 4: Cast or Mirror Your Screen to Chromecast
If you have an older Chromecast dongle, casting your screen is the simplest way to use a VPN. Sadly, the stream quality will not be as crisp as other methods.
I recommend mirroring your screen to Chromecast only if you cannot utilize the other techniques.
Otherwise, you can do so using Google Chrome on Windows, Mac, or Linux.
- Open Google Chrome and click the three-dot menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on the “Cast” option and then “Sources.”
- Pick the Chromecast device above the “Sources” tab as the cast destination.
- Ensure your VPN can access devices on your local network from the VPN app.
- Connect to any VPN server and start streaming your content. The tab will automatically be cast to your Chromecast.
The Benefits of Using a VPN With Chromecast
The combo of a VPN and Chromecast has many benefits, including
- Bypass ISP throttling and restriction. In rare cases, ISPs throttle or stagnate your connection if they see you’re streaming on Chromecast. With an active VPN connection, your online activity is hidden from your ISP, leaving no place for bandwidth throttling.
- Access geo-blocked streaming services. Many streaming platforms restrict their content to certain regions per their license agreements with rights owners. When you use a VPN with Chromecast, you can appear anywhere in the world to enjoy limitless streaming.
- Enhanced security and privacy. VPNs encrypt your Chromecast traffic so your ISP or third-party advertisers can’t access your streaming activity, true location, or personal data.
The Best VPNs for Chromecast
Let me help you pick the right VPN for Chromecast. These VPNs support all the connection methods for Google Chromecast described in the above guide.
NordVPN: Fastest Streaming Speeds on Chromecast
Its Google TV app has an intuitive interface and is well-optimized for TVs of any size. There are 5500+ servers in 60 countries to choose from.
NordVPN is also our favorite VPN for BBC iPlayer. Hardly any VPNs perform so seamlessly with the streaming service, especially on Chromecast.
You also get top-notch security with a strict no-logs policy, RAM-disk servers, and obfuscation.
The Nordlynx protocol delivered me a lightning fast 97.37 Mbps download speed and 61.79 Mbps Upload speed on a 100Mbps connection.
With a 30-day money-back guarantee and our exclusive discounts, you can seize an amazing deal on NordVPN for Chromecast.
ExpressVPN: Widest Server Range on Chromecast
ExpressVPN is on the pricey side but has many benefits for streaming that make it worth the extra cost. It is the only VPN with dedicated router firmware.
I use ExpressVPN on Chromecast to unblock HBO Max, DAZN, Sling TV, Hulu, and Disney+ streaming services. My only gripe is that the ExpressVPN Chromecast app should have a Dark mode since the white UI is too harsh on the eyes during late-night binge-watching.
The speeds are phenomenal; I received 95.60 Mbps download and 84.38 Mbps upload, thanks to the Lightway protocol.
Get three months of free VPN access with this exclusive deal. You can always claim money back within 30 days.
Surfshark: Best Affordable Chromecast VPN
Surfshark offers the most bang for your buck. It is less than half the price of ExpressVPN but still works flawlessly on Chromecast. With Surfshark enabled, I unblocked 15+ libraries of Netflix, including the US, UK, and Germany.
The speed is not as swift as NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
I acquired 87.84 Mbps download and 60.38 Mbps upload. However, This is enough to stream your favorite movies in Ultra HD video quality. Here’s a guide to Setup Surfshark on Chromecast.
Like the other Chromecast VPNs, Surfshark has a seven-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why Shouldn't I Use a Free VPN for Chromecast?
The market certainly has free VPNs you can use Chromecast to work with.
However, using a free VPN with Chromecast is a terrible idea since you’re letting your privacy fall short to save a few bucks. Also, you don’t want to see ads pop-ups while watching shows on platforms you paid for.
Free VPNs use outdated encryption and sneaky tactics to make money.
Therefore, I recommend you buy any of the trusted Chromecast VPNs above, especially NordVPN.
To cast with a VPN, your casting device and Chromecast must be on the same network. Since the laptop is on another virtual network, it won’t work if you try to cast with a laptop connected to a VPN and Chromecast connected with Wi-FI.
To solve this, install the VPN on your router and connect all devices so they can communicate coherently on the same network.
You can use Chromecast with a VPN for Netflix. So, if you want to watch a show restricted to Netflix US, connect to any US server via a VPN and relaunch the Netflix app on Chromecast.
BBC iPlayer works with reliable VPNs on Chromecast, like NordVPN.
With NordVPN, I could stream 4K content with no buffering.
You can also watch live TV on BBC iPlayer on Chromecast via a VPN.
Disney+ works great with Chromecast on reliable VPNs. For example, NordVPN lets you stream thousands of Disney movies and shows on Chromecast, including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, The Simpsons, and other classics at up to 4K Ultra HD resolution!
That's a Wrap!
Now you can gladly relish streaming your favorite TV shows and movies through Chromecast with a VPN.
In addition to unblocking streaming libraries worldwide, the right VPN service will provide you with the utmost privacy, so cybercriminals and internet spies can rever get to you.
A trusted VPN and Chromecast go hand in hand. I recommend buying NordVPN for your Chromecast to eliminate censorship forever.