Surfshark’s NoBorders feature is an obfuscation feature that masks VPN traffic to look like regular internet activity, which is helpful in countries where internet restrictions are present.
When Surfshark VPN detects any kind of region-specific blocks, it activates the NoBorders feature automatically.
It provides optimized servers capable of bypassing many network restrictions you might encounter in places like Russia and China.
Although the NoBorders Mode is helpful, there are times when it might not work as expected.
You can find out more about how NoBorders Mode can help you, fix any issues you encounter, and some VPN alternatives that offer a similar version of NoBorders further into this article.
Why Is Surfshark Noborders Mode Useful?
Surfshark NoBorders Mode lets you access a world of censored content without boundaries.
Countries such as the UAE, Russia, and China have some of the strictest internet censorship policies globally.
For that reason, most users are unable to access the content they want from their home country.
China, for example, deploys the Great Firewall to lock down access to internet freedoms, meaning users in China will have difficulty communicating with the outside world.
Connecting to websites like Facebook and Whatsapp or even playing games like Lost Ark passes through the Great Firewall, which blocks the connection.
Fortunately, using a VPN with features like Surfshark’s NoBorders Mode is the solution.
When NoBorders Mode is enabled in a country like Russia or China with heavy internet restrictions, the VPN identifies this and provides servers that bypass these restrictions.
Connect To Countries With Heavy Censorship From Anywhere
In the same way that Russia, China, etc. blocks access from users connecting within the region, it also employs these strict rules for VPN users accessing Asian/Russian content from outside the territory.
Again, NoBorders makes this possible using obfuscation techniques to allow users from Europe, for example, to access Russian servers, opening access to services like ivi.ru.
How to Connect to Surfshark in Countries With Internet Restrictions
To connect Surfshark in regions where internet activity is restricted, NoBorders mode is the best option.
Fortunately, it takes just a few clicks to begin unblocking geo-restricted content.
Turn on NoBorders on Windows
- You’ll see the NoBorders option, and if it’s not enabled already, please click the toggle to turn on the feature.
Surfshark NoBorders Mode is now enabled.
For informational purposes, the image below shows what effect disabling NoBorders Mode has and the warning prompt you’ll receive by turning off the feature.
Turn on NoBorders on macOS
- Sign up for a Surfshark account.
- Download and install the Surfshark application for macOS.
- Log in using the credentials you would have set up upon signup. These are usually your email and a password of your choosing.
- Click the Settings option five times, then scroll to the very bottom to find the NoBorders setting.
- If it’s not already highlighted green, please click the toggle to enable it.
NoBorders Mode is now enabled.
Turn on NoBorders on Android
- NoBorders won’t appear at this point. Instead, tap the Protocol option for three seconds and it will reveal the NoBorders setting.
- Enable NoBorders if it’s not highlighted green.
NoBorders is now set up and ready to use.
Turn on NoBorders on iOS
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings menu and you will find the NoBorders option.
- Toggle the NoBorders option to green to enable the settings.
You’re now set up and rocking NoBorders on iOS.
Having Issues With NoBorders Mode? Try These Fixes
Although NoBorders works well for most users, there have been reports of people experiencing problems when trying to access content like Disney+ from restricted territories.
Here are a few things you could try to resolve the issues:
Switch to a Different Server
If you are having trouble connecting or getting an error from a streaming service/website saying the content is not available in your region, try switching servers.
Let’s say you are in Russia and you connect to a UK server in London; it is worth attempting to connect to the Manchester server to see if this makes a difference.
Ensure Surfshark Is up to Date
Surfshark regularly releases updates for its applications, so you should check the Surfshark website and compare your version with the one available for your device on the website.
If it’s outdated, download and install the update to see if this makes any difference.
Check Noborders Is Enabled
As per the steps listed above detailing how to enable NoBorders for your specific device, please check that this option is enabled; otherwise, connecting from restricted territories will not work.
If you still have issues connecting, please contact Surfshark support to see if they can assist you.
Surfshark VPN Alternatives That Use a NoBorders Mode
Although Surfshark offers NoBorders to allow unblocking restrictions in different countries, various other VPN providers use a similar technology to bypass restrictions.
- NordVPN provides a range of obfuscated servers optimized to work in countries that place heavy restrictions on internet usage. The option doesn’t have a naming convention like NoBorders but does essentially the same job.
- ExpressVPN’s motto is to offer “Internet access for all in a safe and private manner,” allowing people in places like China to access the same content the rest of the world gets to experience using obfuscation techniques.
- CyberGhost is a little different from other providers. Yes, it uses obfuscation technology to mask VPN traffic from regular internet traffic but goes one step further to provide optimized servers depending on the activity you perform. For example, if you intend to torrent, they have a server for that. Want to watch BBC iPlayer from Russia? There’s a server for that too.
Surfshark’s NoBorders feature is helping users in countries with heavy internet censorship reclaim their freedoms.
The setting opens access to services like Netflix, Facebook, Whatsapp, and more, which would have been blocked in places like China or Russia.
Surfshark is not the only provider to offer a NoBorders option.
My next recommended VPN provider, NordVPN, comes in at close second with affordable prices, comprehensive server coverage, and excellent privacy features.
However, Surfshark still comes out on top and ticks all the right boxes, and you can save BIG with a huge discount right now.