Social media has become an integral part of our lives and a powerful tool for businesses.
Keeping up with the latest statistics and trends can help companies stay ahead of the competition and make informed decisions about their social media strategy.
From the continued growth of visual content to the rise of new platforms, this is an exciting time for social media. It is time to dive into the latest statistics and industry trends to keep you updated.
Top 10 Social Media Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Social media users globally hit 4.26 billion in 2021.
- The United States has the highest number of TikTok users in 2023.
- 5 billion YouTube videos were watched per day in 2022.
- Instagram Stories’ advertising revenue will hit $20.03 billion globally in 2023.
- YouTube users post around 720,000 hours of new video content daily in 2023.
- Users spend 26% more time watching Twitter advertisements than other platforms in 2023.
- YouTube generated over $8.6 billion in advertising revenue in Q4 2021.
- Cristiano Ronaldo was the most followed person on Facebook in 2022.
- @barackobama is the most followed Twitter account in 2023.
- In 2022, Twitter had 2 billion daily video viewers.
General Social Media Statistics
1. Social media users globally hit 4.26 billion in 2021.
This number grew to 4.59 billion in 2022, and by 2023, the number hit 4.89 billion. Social media users are expected to reach 5.85 billion globally by 2027.
Facebook had 2.91 billion monthly active users globally in January 2022, and YouTube came second with 2.562 billion. WhatsApp made it to position three with 2 billion active monthly users.
The table below shows the top 10 most popular social media platforms as of January 2022.
|Social Media Platform||Number of Monthly Active Users (Million)|
|Weixin / WeChat||1,263|
3. Social media firms generated $153 billion from advertising in 2021.
It is predicted that by 2026, these firms will generate $252 billion from advertising.
Facebook Usage Statistics
4. Facebook hit 2 billion daily active users (DAUs) globally in 2022.
As of December 2021, Facebook’s DAUs were at 1.93 billion, around a 4% YoY increase to December 2022.
5. Facebook was the third most visited website in 2022.
As of December 2022, Facebook had attracted over 10 billion visits to rank in the top 3. Google had the highest number of visits, with over 92 billion, and YouTube came in second, with over 76 billion.
Twitter Usage Statistics
6. Twitter users averaged 11.05 minutes per session on the platform in 2021.
Twitter was second to YouTube (21.53 minutes), and Facebook grabbed third place with 10.19 minutes.
TikTok Usage Statistics
7. Globally, the TikTok Android app ranked second in monthly engagement in 2021.
The TikTok and Facebook Android apps had an average monthly usage of 19.6 hours in 2021. YouTube had the highest as users engaged with the app for about 23.7 hours every month.
8. In 2022, TikTok had about 29.72 million daily active users (DAU) globally across iOS devices.
As of January 2021, TikTok had 18.42 million daily active iOS users worldwide.
By July 2021, the number had hit 25.25 million before rising to 29.72 million in January 2022.
YouTube Usage Statistics
9. 2.5 billion people used YouTube each month in 2021.
Of the 2.5 billion YouTube users, there were 30 million paid subscribers.
10. 5 billion YouTube videos were watched per day in 2022.
The figure equates to 35 billion watched on YouTube each week and 150 billion a month.
Instagram Usage Statistics
11. Instagram had 1.21 billion users globally in 2021.
The number rose to 1.28 billion users in 2022 and is expected to continue to 1.35 billion in 2023.
12. Instagram users averaged 11.2 hours monthly on the platform in 2021.
This represents a 10% increase from the previous year (2020).
Facebook Demography Statistics
13. 18.4% of global Facebook users aged 25-34 in 2022 were male.
As of January 2022, 12.6% of Facebook users in this age bracket were female.
For those aged 65 and more, 2.8% were female, while 2.5% were male.
14. India had the highest number of Facebook users globally in 2022.
As of January 2022, India had hit 329.65 million Facebook users.
The United States took the second spot with 179.65 million users, and Indonesia came third with 129.85 million users.
Twitter Demography Statistics
15. More than half of the Twitter users in 2022 were male.
56.4% of Twitter users in January 2022 were male, while 43.6% were female.
16. Most Twitter users in the United States were 18 to 29 years old in 2021.
42% of Twitter users in the United States were 18 to 29 years as of February 2021. Users aged 65 and more represented 7% of the total user count in that period.
Below is a table showing the percentage of Twitter users by age bracket.
|18 to 29||42%|
|30 to 49||27%|
|50 to 64||18%|
17. The United States had the highest number of Twitter users as of 2021.
In 2021, the United States had 69.3 million Twitter users. Japan got the second spot with 50.9 million, and India came third with 17.5 million Twitter users.
TikTok Demography Statistics
18. The United States has the highest number of TikTok users in 2023.
TikTok had attracted 113 million users in the United States by January 2023.
Indonesia came in second with around 110 million, and Brazil got third with about 82 million users.
19. TikTok users in the United States hit 86.9 million in 2021.
The number was predicted to rise to 94.1 million users in 2022, then grow in 2023 to 97.6 million before hitting 100.7 million in 2024. By 2025, the number of United States TikTok users is projected to reach 103.3 million.
YouTube Demography Statistics
20. India has the most YouTube audience globally in 2023.
India had 467 million YouTube users by January 2023. The United States came second with 246 million users, and Indonesia came third with 139 million.
21. Males were the most YouTube users aged 25 - 34 in 2022.
11.6% of YouTube users in 2022 were aged 25 – 34 and male, compared to 8.6% for females in the same age bracket.
Instagram Demography Statistics
22. India had the highest number of Instagram users in 2022.
India had hit 230.25 million Instagram users by January 2022.
The United States clinched the second spot with 159.75 million users, and Brazil came third with 119.45 million Instagram users.
|Country||Number of Instagram Users (Millions)|
23. In 2022, Instagram users aged 25 to 34 accounted for the most significant percentage of global users.
The 25 to 34 age bracket represented 31.7% of Instagram users globally as of April 2022. 30.2% were aged 18 to 24, and 15.8% were aged 35 to 44.
Facebook Advertising Statistics
90% of social media marketers utilized Facebook in 2022. Instagram came second with 79%, and LinkedIn took the third spot among 61% of marketers.
25. US advertisers spent $50.30 billion on Facebook advertising in 2021.
The number was projected to be $58.11 billion in 2022, an increase of 15.5% from the previous year. It is expected to increase again by 12.2% in 2023 to hit $65.21 billion.
Twitter Advertising Statistics
26. 50 of the top 100 Twitter advertisers stopped advertising in 2022.
Twitter has received nearly $2 billion in ad spending from these 50 advertisers since 2020, with over $750 million in 2022 alone.
27. Users spend 26% more time watching Twitter advertisements compared to other platforms in 2023.
This proves that the likelihood of Twitter users being the first to purchase new goods is 53% higher than other social media platform users.
TikTok Advertising Statistics
28. The biggest advertisers on TikTok in the US in 2022 were HBO and Amazon.
Between January and May 2022, Amazon spent $22.5 million on TikTok advertisements, while HBO made second with $19 million spending on TikTok in the United States.
29. TikTok had a global advertising revenue of $3.88 billion in 2021.
The amount rose to $11.04 billion in 2022 and is expected to hit $18.04 billion in advertising revenue in 2023. By 2024, the amount is predicted to grow to $23.58 billion.
YouTube Advertising Statistics
30. YouTube generated over $8.6 billion in advertising revenue in Q4 2021.
The amount dropped in Q1 2022 to $6,869 million before growing to $7,340 million in Q2 2022. The advertising revenue dropped again to $7,071 million in Q3 2022.
31. 69% of US digital media professionals advertised or monetized content on YouTube in 2022.
By 2023, 50% of the respondents will monetize content or advertise on YouTube in the US.
Instagram Advertising Statistics
32. Instagram Stories' advertising revenue will hit $20.03 billion globally in 2023.
It was predicted to rise to $11.43 billion in 2021, up from the $6.9 billion it generated in 2020. Over the next two years, Instagram stories advertising income would reach an estimated $20.03 billion.
33. Ages 18 - 34 comprised 61% of Instagram's advertising audience in 2022.
17.1% of Instagram’s 2022 users were 18 – 24-year-old males, while similarly-aged females made up 13.5% of all users on the social media platform.
Likewise, 16.5% of Instagram users were males aged 25 – 34, while 13.9% were females.
Facebook Content Removal Statistics
The number dropped to 27.3 million in Q4 2021. By the end of Q1 2022, sexual and nudity-related content removal reached 31 million, and the number rose again to 38.4 million in Q2 2022 before dropping to 29.3 million in Q3 2022.
35. Most requested Facebook content takedown by the Indian government came in H2 2021.
India issued 50,382 government and court requests for Facebook content removal in H2 2021, which rose from 45,275 in H1 2021.
Twitter Content Removal Statistics
36. Data removal requests issued to Twitter were higher in H2 2021 than in H1 2021.
In H1 2021, Twitter received 43,387 removal requests from government agencies, courts, and police. The number rose to 47,572 requests in H2 2021.
37. Twitter received over 146,000 DMCA takedown notices for content removal in H2 2021.
This number reduced from around 171,000 in Q2 2021.
TikTok Content Removal Statistics
38. The most frequent reason for video removals on TikTok in Q3 2022 was minor safety.
43% of removed videos in Q3 2022 were on the back of minor safety.
Next were 21% of the total removals due to illegal activities and regulated goods.
39. Q1 2022 saw 102.31 million videos removed from TikTok.
In Q2 2022, the number rose to 113.81 million before dropping to 110.95 million in Q3 2022.
YouTube Content Removal Statistics
40. Most YouTube videos removed in Q3 2022 were due to child safety concerns.
Between July to September of 2022, 36% of the videos removed on YouTube were due to child safety reasons, representing over 2 million videos.
The table below shows the number of videos removed on YouTube with the reasons for removal in Q3 of 2022.
|Reason for Removal||Number of Videos|
|Violent or graphic||18.4%|
|Nudity or sexual||13.7%|
|Harmful or dangerous||11.4%|
|Harassment and cyberbullying||10%|
|Spam, misleading and scam||3.9%|
|Hateful or abusive||2.8%|
|Promotion of violence and violent extremism||1.2%|
41. 534,278 YouTube videos from the United States were pulled down in Q3 2022.
India saw the highest number of videos removed on YouTube between July and September 2022, totaling over 1.7 million. Indonesia came second with 628,539 videos removed.
Instagram Content Removal Statistics
42. Meta pulled down 23 million pieces of Facebook and Instagram content created by Indians in November 2022.
43. 1 million Instagram content were removed in India in 2022 due to Suicide and Self-Injury reasons.
In November 2022, violent and graphic content ratings were the reason behind another 727,200 Instagram content removals, while 712,000 removals were due to sexual activity reasons.
Popular Facebook Accounts Statistics
44. Cristiano Ronaldo was the most followed person on Facebook in 2022.
Ronaldo took the top spot with 152 million Facebook followers in 2022.
By February 2023, Ronaldo has hit 161 million followers.
Shakira grabbed the second spot in 2022 with 115 million, and Will Smith came third with 111 million Facebook followers.
Below is a table showing the top 10 most followed people on Facebook as of 2022.
|Facebook Account||Number of Followers (Millions)|
45. Converse was Facebook's most popular retail and consumer merchandise brand in 2021.
In June 2021, Converse had 46.33 million Facebook followers. As of February 2023, it has reached 47 million. Walmart came in second with 34.27 million fans which dropped to 33 million in February 2023. In third place was Amazon, with 29.36 million fans.
Popular Twitter Accounts Statistics
46. @barackobama is the most followed Twitter account in 2023.
Barrack Obama, the former United States president, had 133.54 million followers on Twitter by January 2023. Elon Musk, Twitter’s owner, closed in on Obama with 127.13 million followers.
The table below shows the top 10 most-followed people on Twitter as of January 2023.
|Twitter Account||Number of Followers (Millions)|
47. Katy Perry was the first person to hit 100 million followers on Twitter.
Katy Perry, a singer, reached 100 million followers on 16th June 2017.
Popular TikTok Accounts Statistics
48. Khaby Lame was the most followed person on TikTok in February 2023.
Khaby Lame had hit 154.2 million followers by January 2023. As of February 2023, his account has 154.5 million. Charli D’Amelio took the second position with 149.8 million, and Bella Poarch had 92.8 million TikTok followers at position three.
49. Charli D’Amelio was the first to hit 100 million TikTok followers.
She hit and surpassed the 100 million followers milestone in November 2020.
Popular YouTube Accounts Statistics
50. T-Series was the most subscribed YouTube channel in 2022.
As of November 2022, the T-Series channel had hit 229 million YouTube subscribers. YouTube Movies channel was the second with 158 million subscribers, and the Cocomelon channel made third with 147 million.
51. Roel Van de Paar’s channel has the most all-time uploads in 2023.
Roel Van de Paar’s YouTube channel hit 2.02 million uploads by January 2023 after knocking out CODblackopsPS in April 2021. CODblackopsPS (in second) had 1.06 million uploads, while Doubtnut closed the top three with 1.059 million uploads.
Popular Instagram Accounts Statistics
52. Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram in 2023.
As of January 2023, Cristiano Ronaldo, a footballer, had hit 542 million followers.
Leo Messi, a footballer, grabbed the second spot with 425 million followers, and Kylie Jenner took the third spot (379 million).
53. “Niepsclub” has the most Instagram posts.
“Niepsclub” Instagram account had 38.8 million posts as of January 2023.
“Benc4n” took the second spot with a little over 10 million posts, and “uglies” grabbed the third with 10 million posts.
Facebook Video Statistics
54. Godzilla vs. Kong was the most-watched video on Facebook in 2021.
In 2021, the short “Godzilla vs. Kong” clip garnered over 199 million views.
In second place was a video named “Who knew road marking would be so mesmerizing to watch?” which managed 136 million views.
The third most watched video was titled, “You’re never bored when you’re a parent,” which attracted over 131 million views by 2021.
55. Facebook videos had a click rate of 59.3% in 2021.
26 surveyed marketers in a 2021 survey also claimed photos only receive 29.6% of all clicks. 11% of the group stated they did not care.
Twitter Video Statistics
The video already has over 24 million views as of February 2023.
It was followed by Elon Musk’s video about fighting in the metaverse prison yard, which has 5.2 million views.
57. In 2022, Twitter had 2 billion daily video viewers.
This converts to 14 billion weekly video viewers and approximately 60 billion monthly video viewers.
TikTok Video Statistics
58. Zach King's Magic Ride was the most viewed TikTok video as of 2022.
As of 2022, Zach’s magic ride TikTok video had attracted over 2.2 billion views.
Below is a table showing the top 5 most viewed videos on TikTok as of 2022.
|Video||Number of Views|
|Magic ride||2.2 billion|
|Christmas sisters party||1.7 billion|
|Unexpected hiding spots||1.1 billion|
|Glass and cake illusion||966.4 million|
|M to the B||690.6 million|
59. The most-liked Tiktok video in 2021 was “M to the B.”
By 2021, the “M to the B” video by Bella Poarch had reached 49.7 million likes on TikTok. The mouth-drawing video took the second spot with 47.4 million likes.
YouTube Video Statistics
60. YouTube users post around 720,000 hours of new video content daily in 2023.
That is approximately 5 million hours a week and over 20 million hours of new video content posted monthly.
61. As of February 2023, "Baby Shark Dance" was the most viewed YouTube video.
The “Baby Shark Dance” video had 12.3 billion views on YouTube as of February 2023. The “Despacito” music video came second with 8.1 billion views, and “Johny Johny Yes Papa” secured the third position with 6.59 billion views.
Instagram Video Statistics
62. Instagram’s video posts were more engaging compared to images as of 2022.
Instagram videos attracted 24.25 comments per post, while photos got 14.65 comments per post. Additionally, videos received an average of 1097.95 likes per post compared to 476.15 for images.
63. 6 in 10 Instagram users will have sound on while watching Instagram Stories.
60% of those who watch Instagram Stories do so with the sound on.
This indicates that 40% of viewers watch without sound.
The social media world is constantly evolving, and it is important to stay current on the latest statistics and trends. Whether it is understanding the power of visual content, or discovering new platforms to reach your audience, staying updated can help you make informed decisions and stay ahead of the competition.