Whether you’re a resident or a visitor, you need the best VPN for Greece.
And it needs to protect your privacy and allow you to stream Greek shows while traveling abroad (or access geo-locked content from home).
But this, plus Greece no longer protecting online communications, its strict defamation laws, and blocked torrent sites like The Pirate Bay and 1337, aren’t the only things your VPN needs to overcome.
Greece also has notoriously slow internet speeds – so your VPN should also be as fast as possible!
You won’t walk the journey alone, though.
Instead, I already tested hundreds of VPNs.
And my results brought me to NordVPN.
Not only does NordVPN offer competitively fast speeds and an impressive suite of privacy features – but it also reliably unblocks Greek shows from abroad and geo-locked streaming platforms (like Netflix and Hulu).
Keep reading for a complete comparison so that you can pick the best VPN for you!
Top 3 Best VPNs for Greece
At an affordable cost, Surfshark reliably offers lightning-fast VPN speeds. With Greece’s notoriously slow internet, this is a huge plus – on top of the provider’s excellent privacy and security features. Even better, Surfshark is P2P friendly, compatible with most streaming platforms, and offers Greek server options.
NordVPN offers 5,300+ RAM-only servers (including Greek options) capable of unblocking content (including streaming platforms and P2P networks) while still delivering competitive speeds. Better yet, NordVPN offers some of the best privacy and security features in the market – including an obfuscation option and an Onion Over VPN feature.
ExpressVPN is one of the few VPNs that offer military-grade privacy and security features without sacrificing speed. The provider is also one of the best options for streaming geo-locked content in Greece (Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more) – or keeping up with your favorite local shows when you’re traveling abroad!
Considering the country’s growing online privacy issues, the VPN you use needs to be highly secure and privacy-friendly.
And the inevitable speed reduction should be kept at an absolute minimum!
For me, this means thousands of RAM-only servers – ideally with obfuscation features – and the ability to access blocked sites and content in Greece.
After thorough testing, I narrowed it down to five reliable VPNs.
Join me below to find out why they made my list!
Running Low on Time? Here’s a Quick Glance of My Top 5 Picks!
If you don’t have time to read the full comparison right now, here are my top five VPNs for Greece at a glance:
- NordVPN – Best Overall
- Surfshark – Affordable Plans
- ExpressVPN – Security & Speed
- CyberGhost – Best for Greek Servers
- Mullvad – Anonymous Torrenting
But it’s worth reading my full report – I show what makes each VPN a top-choice to use in (or out of) Greece!
A massive network of RAM-only servers – including options in Greece – help NordVPN users bypass online censorship with ease. Together with an obfuscation feature to keep you hidden from Greek authorities while torrenting, competitively fast speeds, and the ability to unblock streaming platforms (and watch Greek TV from abroad), NordVPN delivers one of the best VPN experiences money can buy.
Detailed List of the 5 Best VPNs for Greece
Ready for the full expose?
Here are my top VPNs in detail – including their best features, weaknesses, and in-depth comparisons on which VPN is best for what:
1. NordVPN – Best Overall for Greece
One way the provider stands out from the other VPNs on this list is its Onion Over VPN feature.
This is one of the most privacy-friendly options out there to keep you hidden from Greek authorities, as it routes your connection through the Tor network via one of NordVPN’s 5,300+ RAM-only servers.
Having such a huge server network (including 15 Greek servers) also helps users unblock content in and out of Greece, such as Netflix, Hulu, and 4E TV.
And by spreading users out to help avoid server overload, the provider ensures excellent speeds too!
NordVPN was also one of the first VPN providers to introduce a proprietary VPN protocol based on WireGuard: NordLynx, which pushes the provider above Mullvad, CyberGhost, and even Surfshark.
So, if you want to give your VPN speeds an extra boost, I recommend using NordLynx instead of the slower OpenVPN options.
Speed Without NordVPN:
Speed With NordVPN:
But if you don’t mind a speed reduction, NordVPN’s obfuscation feature is worth using – especially if you want to combat Greece’s growing online privacy issues.
You’ll also get two great options for torrenting with NordVPN: specialized P2P servers or (for even better speeds) the NordVPN SOCKS5 proxy with qBittorrent.
In my opinion, this – plus the provider’s ability to unblock popular torrenting websites – puts it above the other providers on my list, making it one of the most reliable VPNs for torrenting!
Best of all, NordVPN’s one-month plan is the most budget-friendly compared to runner-ups Surfshark and ExpressVPN.
Its longer subscriptions also come at competitive prices with a 30-day money-back guarantee:
But if you want to enjoy EVEN BIGGER SAVINGS, sign up with this link!
2. Surfshark – Affordable Plans
Speed With Surfshark:
This is especially true when using CleanWeb, Surfshark’s built-in feature for blocking ads and malware.
It’s the best one in the VPN market, even beating NordVPN’s CyberSec.
Considering Greece’s slow internet speeds, this is great news!
Users who use Surfshark instead of other VPNs on this list will have a far less speed reduction, along with a stable connection!
Most users in Greece don’t typically need obfuscation, so you can also give your speeds an extra boost by using the WireGuard protocol.
But if you want to stay hidden from Greek authorities with an obfuscation feature that won’t heavily impact your internet speeds, all OpenVPN connections are automatically obfuscated with Camouflage Mode.
Surfshark’s Camouflage Mode is also the most lightweight obfuscation option on this list!
Moving on, one of Surfshark’s biggest advantages over the competition is its unlimited simultaneous connections!
Compared to the six connections NordVPN gives you (and five from ExpressVPN), this makes Surfshark great for protecting the whole family without resorting to complex router setups.
Here’s a quick table showcasing each provider’s simultaneous connections limit:
Even better, all 3,200+ RAM-only Surfshark servers are P2P-friendly by default and come with Private DNS.
This means torrenting in Greece – and accessing blocked torrent sites like The Pirate Bay and 1337 – is easy!
That said, Surfshark blocks P2P uploads, so it’s not the overall best torrenting option here.
But you don’t have to rely on specialized servers for streaming, at least, making Surfshark one of my favorites for watching Netflix!
Plus, you can stay updated on your favorite Greek shows (like “Do You Keep A Secret?” via Alpha TV) with servers in Greece while traveling abroad.
As for price, Surfshark’s affordable subscription plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
But for a MASSIVE discount, check out our exclusive deal!
3. ExpressVPN – Security & Speed
ExpressVPN is another well-known VPN provider that deserves its recognition, not least because it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with other top providers like NordVPN and Surfshark regarding security and speed.
When comparing ExpressVPN to NordVPN, I often find my speeds are around 5.8% faster with ExpressVPN.
This puts it neck-to-neck with Surfshark as one of the fastest VPNs for fighting Greece’s slow internet speeds.
Speed Without ExpressVPN:
Speed With ExpressVPN:
It also makes ExpressVPN the best streaming VPN on this list, allowing you to unlock content from Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu (among many others) without buffering!
Plus, with server options in Greece, you can also access Greek TV stations like 4E TV, MAD Greekz, Alpha TV, and more.
I often find fast VPNs cut corners when it comes to security.
But there’s no worry with ExpressVPN, as all 3000+ servers run on its proprietary TrustedServer setup.
This is a RAM-only configuration, preventing any data from being permanently recorded.
Instead, everything is written to the RAM and permanently deleted every time the servers are rebooted.
This is a massive advantage to Greek users trying to maintain privacy while torrenting, especially as the TrustedServer technology was independently audited!
In fact, ExpressVPN’s TrustedServer technology surpasses almost all other VPNs on this list in terms of security – making it an excellent choice for torrenting (including accessing The Pirate Bay, 1337, and other blocked torrent sites).
You can also use Lightway, the proprietary ExpressVPN protocol, to enjoy the same security as OpenVPN or WireGuard without speed loss issues.
For users in Greece, this is a great option, as it means you can enjoy your favorite online activities without jeopardizing security or speed.
That said, ExpressVPN is more expensive than the other providers on my list.
But you still get a 30-day money-back guarantee:
If ExpressVPN is the one for you, sign up with this link to enjoy an ENORMOUS discount!
4. CyberGhost – Best for Greek Servers
CyberGhost is one of the most beginner-friendly VPN services – and the best option for Greek servers, with 24 of them in Athens!
This beats out all other providers on my list, including my top choice (NordVPN)!
Another thing CyberGhost boasts over the other reliable VPNs for Greece: its CyberGhost Security Suite for Windows – a beginner-friendly approach to security tools.
The Security Suite for Windows includes:
- Intego Antivirus – CyberGhost partnered with Intego for this feature, which acts as a regular antivirus (similar to Surfshark’s CleanWeb, but without ad-blocking);
- Privacy Guard – a tool that helps you easily disable many intrusive Windows functionalities with the click of the button;
- Security Updater – allows you to scan all of your installed software to see when new updates are available.
Altogether, the Security Suite for Windows is a fantastic add-on for securing your connection in (or out of) Greece, though it does cost extra.
But even without the Security Suite for Windows, CyberGhost still keeps your browsing secure and your activities private, thanks to its RAM-only 7,100+ servers.
CyberGhost also does a fantastic job at unblocking streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime (to name a few) for residents in Greece.
Your best bet is to use the “For Streaming” optimized servers.
However, if you’re traveling abroad and trying to catch up on your favorite Greek shows (on Alpha TV, for example), connect to one of CyberGhost’s Greek servers instead!
The VPN provider also offers dedicated servers for “Gaming” and “Torrenting” – and, of course, unblocks a myriad of websites, including all of Greece’s blocked torrent sites.
Unfortunately, one drawback to CyberGhost is it’s the slowest VPN on my list.
In the past, I experienced up to a 50% reduction in speed.
For Greek users already struggling with slow internet, this might be a deal-breaker.
But, to be fair, CyberGhost performed better than usual in my most recent tests.
Speed Without CyberGhost:
Speed With CyberGhost:
Back to the pros – one of the best things about CyberGhost (especially when compared to ExpressVPN) is its affordable pricing.
And though its one-month plan only includes a 14-day money-back guarantee, the annual and three-year plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
But you can save even more (or use the extra cash on the Security Suite for Windows) with our exclusive deal!
5. Mullvad – Anonymous Torrenting
Mullvad is a very privacy-friendly VPN – and close to perfect for torrenting anonymously in Greece.
How anonymous, you ask?
Mullvad doesn’t ask for any personally identifiable information when you create an account!
Instead, you generate an anonymous account number.
Despite being fifth on my list, this pushes Mullvad ahead of the competition for torrenting in Greece and anonymity in general.
You can even pay with cash or cryptocurrencies to keep things as anonymous as possible!
And for torrenters, Mullvad is a safe haven with excellent speeds.
Compared to NordVPN, Mullvad’s only slightly slower – you’ll barely notice the difference without running tests.
Speed Without Mullvad:
Speed With Mullvad:
Not only that, but you can use any of its 771 servers to torrent: no specialized servers necessary!
Of course, this isn’t a huge server network compared to other VPNs on this list, but it’ll get the job done.
And while Mullvad can’t unblock streaming services (though it does offer server options in Greece), torrent sites are another story!
You can also opt to use port forwarding, though Mullvad blocks some ports to protect its servers (ports 25, 137, 138, 139, and 445).
However, as the only other VPN on this list that offers port forwarding is ExpressVPN through its router setup, this yet again pushes Mullvad ahead of its competition.
Finally, Mullvad further stands out from others on this list by offering an affordable, flat rate that hasn’t changed since it launched in 2009:
This means you always pay the same rates, without feeling obliged to choose a long-term plan to save money!
And all of the plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee (cash payments aren’t eligible for refunds).
If you want to save on your Mullvad subscription, the provider offers a 10% discount on cryptocurrency payments.
Just bear in mind Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash refunds are a little trickier, so read the Refund Guide before using either to pay for your Mullvad subscription!
How to Choose the Best VPN for Greece?
Not sure how to choose the best VPN for Greece that matches your specific needs?
Here’s a thorough buying guide to make the decision easier!
What Features to Focus On for a Greek VPN?
While I’m confident you won’t find a better VPN for Greece than the five providers above, make sure to look for these features if you shop around more:
- Privacy Features – if you’re living in or visiting Greece, online communications won’t be protected by the country’s laws. And considering its harsh defamation laws (which can land you in prison), you must use a VPN that truly protects your privacy as a user. At the very least, this should include a strict no-logs policy, the best protocols (OpenVPN and WireGuard – or proprietary WireGuard forks like NordLynx), military-grade encryption (256-bit AES), and a kill switch. Ideally, you also want the VPN to use RAM-only servers and an obfuscation feature.
If your VPN accepts anonymous payment methods like cash or cryptocurrency, this is a great way to add extra layers of privacy to your account!
You can also use an anonymous email address (like a free ProtonMail account) and a pseudonym to limit the amount of personally identifiable information you use to create your VPN account.
- Unblocks Websites – Greece doesn’t block many websites, but some websites might block Greek users for their own reasons. The best way to access them (no matter who’s doing the blocking) is to use a VPN that consistently and reliably unblocks geo-restricted websites and other online content.
- Streaming Capabilities – whether you want to watch Netflix shows that aren’t available in Greece or you’re a resident wanting to continue enjoying your favorite Greek shows while traveling, a VPN that works for streaming is a must! Unblocking platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer is always a good sign for unblocking other streaming services, as these three tend to be the toughest.
- P2P Support – with Greece blocking many popular torrent websites, it’s essential you use a VPN for all P2P file-sharing activities. Your VPN should have as many privacy and security features to protect your P2P connection while also unblocking torrent sites. Ideally, all of the VPN’s servers should be P2P-friendly, but if not, there should be specialized servers you can connect to from the app!
- Speed – Greece has notoriously slow internet in general and, unfortunately, using a VPN can make it even slower. But the most reliable VPNs will have a minimal impact on your connection speeds – so small that you won’t notice the difference! This is especially important if you’re streaming or torrenting, as both activities use a lot of bandwidth. Ideally, there should be speed-optimizing features available, like the option to use WireGuard or a proprietary protocol instead of OpenVPN. Ad-blocking features also help, though you can use a separate ad-blocker if your VPN doesn’t include one.
- Large Server Network – a large server network doesn’t just give you more options for connecting to a VPN server near you but also helps keep users spread out. By doing so, the provider can minimize each server’s load, which goes a long way in ensuring great speeds. And as an added benefit, lots of servers mean it’s harder for streaming services like Netflix to identify and block VPN server IP addresses.
- Greek Servers – whether you want to stream Greek shows from another country or protect your online privacy in Greece, you need to connect to a Greek server. Connecting to a local server also means your data doesn’t have to travel as far, which helps preserve your internet speed. So, of course, the more Greek servers your VPN has, the better.
- Fair Prices – running a VPN service is expensive work, especially when implementing essential security features and offering a large server network. Always pay careful attention to the features available to ensure the VPN isn’t overpriced or cutting corners. This way, you know you’re getting the most trustworthy VPN for your budget.
Can I Use a Free VPN in Greece?
I don’t recommend using a free VPN in Greece – or in general.
Like I said above, running a VPN service is expensive.
Free VPNs aren’t getting their servers, encryption, app development, or even the web-hosting and domain name for their website for free.
This means they’re more likely to cut corners when it comes to privacy and security features.
Even worse, they might be fake (typically infected with malware) or selling your private data to the highest bidder.
The only time I even remotely trust a free VPN is when it’s a freemium version of an otherwise paid-for VPN.
This is because the provider uses some of the profits from its premium subscriptions to subsidize the cost of offering limited free accounts.
My favorite of these is ProtonVPN, but it isn’t suitable for users in Greece.
Instead, I recommend sticking to a premium VPN subscription from the start.
My best pick for Greece is NordVPN.
Don’t forget you can save money when you sign up with this link!
How to Use a VPN for Greece? Just Follow These Easy 6 Steps!
Using a VPN for Greece is easy if you follow these six steps:
- Use my buying guide above or skip the hassle by picking one of my recommended VPNs for Greece and purchase a subscription.
- Download the VPN app for your device(s) and install them.
- Launch the app and sign in to your account.
- Click the Connect button to let your VPN find the fastest server near you. Or, if you want to connect to a specific location, choose the country in the server list.
- Open your browser and do an IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks test.
- Enjoy torrenting anonymously or streaming Netflix from Greece!
How to Watch Greek TV Overseas?
Like how a US IP address will help you watch Netflix US, a Greek IP address will help you watch Greek TV from overseas!
And getting a Greek IP is easy – just follow these steps:
- Choose a VPN that has servers in Greece. Here’s how many Greek servers each VPN in my list has:
|VPN Provider||Servers in Greece?||Number of Servers|
- Download and install the VPN app onto your device(s).
- Sign in to your account after opening the VPN app.
- Open the Server List and scroll down to the Greece option – or use the search function if there is one.
- Click one of the Greek servers to connect.
- Open your browser and do an IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks test.
- Enjoy your favorite Greek TV shows from anywhere in the world!
Torrenting in Greece
In 2018, Greek Internet Service Providers (ISPs) were ordered to block a total of 38 website domains that include torrent sites, local streaming sites, and even sites where you can download Greek subtitles.
Although the order is set to expire this year (2021), it’ll likely be renewed.
So what sites are included? Here’s the full list:
You should also remember that even though the order excludes legal action against torrenters, using a P2P file-sharing site or service to download or distribute copyright material still goes against international copyright laws.
If you use a VPN for torrenting in Greece, make sure only to use a VPN that supports P2P connections, has a strict no-logs policy (ideally proven through independent auditing), and is 100% free from IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
Are VPNs Legal in Greece?
Although the Greek government is pushing for stricter internet censorship via site blocking, VPNs remain legal in Greece.
What Is the Fastest Greece VPN?
In general, there is no “fastest Greece VPN,” as many things affect your VPN speed.
However, NordVPN and Surfshark VPN are almost always the fastest options.
If you’re struggling to establish a fast and stable connection, try using a protocol like WireGuard (or a proprietary WireGuard fork, like NordLynx).
You can also try connecting to a VPN server closest to your physical location.
What Is the Cheapest Greece VPN?
The cheapest Greece VPN that doesn’t cut corners with security and privacy is Mullvad.
But if you want to stream Netflix or watch Greek TV from another country, NordVPN has the cheapest one-month subscription, and Surfshark has the most affordable two-year subscription.
What Are the Online Privacy Laws Like in Greece?
Online privacy laws in Greece aren’t as good as they used to be.
Even though the Processing of Personal Data laws previously protected all communications, Greek courts recently ruled that online communications are no longer protected.
Unfortunately, this means Greek authorities can now legally monitor all internet traffic in the country.
Greek residents and visitors can still enjoy a mostly-free internet.
But the country’s tricky defamation laws, ban of all torrent sites, and the recent court ruling that Greece’s privacy laws no longer protect online communications mean it’s more important than ever to use a VPN.
And NordVPN is the most reliable option for a VPN in Greece.
NordVPN will help you negate Greece’s slowly-changing privacy laws, stream international content, torrent safely, and protect your online communications from government surveillance.
Throw in its impressive speeds, and you won’t be breaking plates in frustration.
But you can always break a few in celebration – especially if you sign up with this link to unlock a MASSIVE discount on your NordVPN subscription!