Unblock Netflix With Surfshark in 5 Easy Steps
Surfshark is fast and unblocks Netflix seamlessly, which makes it an excellent choice for streaming fans.
Below is a quick walkthrough on how to watch Netflix with Surfshark:
- Sign up for a Surfshark account (Get a limited-time discount).
- Download and install the VPN application for your device.
- Launch the VPN application and log in with your username and password.
- Connect to a server in the country whose Netflix version you want to view.
- Open Netflix and watch your favorite movies and TV shows. and start watching.
When it comes to watching Netflix, few VPNs work as well as Surfshark. Besides providing incredible performance, Surfshark is also easy to use and is compatible with almost all streaming devices.
But how do you use it with Netflix? And which servers should you choose for the best results? I tested servers in all the 15 Netflix regions Surfshark claims to unblock.
Keep reading to find out how to unblock Netflix with Surfshark and the best servers for the job.
Does Surfshark Work With Netflix?
Yes, Surfshark does indeed unblock Netflix. Plus, the VPN service is fast, so you can seamlessly stream movies and TV shows in 4K without buffering.
Best Servers to Stream Netflix
Overall, I found the United States – Detroit and the United States – Kansas City servers to be the best for watching Netflix.
Although Surfshark customer support assured me that all servers should work fine, the above two servers delivered the fastest speeds and fantastic picture quality.
Below are the speed test results I got when connected to the Detroit and Kansas City servers.
For comparison, my standard internet speeds were 98.64 Mbps download, 73.05 Mbps upload, and a ping of 19 Mbps.
|Ping||Download Speed||Upload Speed|
|Detroit||207 ms||78.84 Mbps||61.75 Mbps|
|Kansas City||163 ms||86.09 Mbps||52.43 Mbps|
Surfshark Not Working With Netflix
If you use VPNs to watch Netflix, then you’ve probably come across the above Netflix proxy error code: m7111-5059.
Even premium VPNs like Surfshark that usually work reliably with Netflix aren’t guaranteed to work 100%.
When you see the proxy error, it means that Netflix knows you are using an unblocker to access its content.
With Surfshark, the proxy error can also be caused by a blacklisted IP address. Thankfully, this is relatively easy to solve.
All you need to do to solve the issue is simply switch to a different Surfshark server location.
Surfshark has over 500 servers in 20+ US cities, so there are plenty of reliable alternatives.
If the problem persists even after connecting to a different server, then try the following solutions to fix the Netflix proxy error:
1. Clear Your Browser Cache
Another reason why you might see the Netflix error is due to cached location information in your browser.
Make sure you clear your cookies and restart your browser. Also, don’t forget to switch to a new server location or IP before reopening the Netflix website.
2. Enable the Internet Kill Switch
The internet kill switch is one of the most critical yet ignored VPN features. It is designed to prevent websites from seeing your real location in the event your VPN connection drops.
While some providers come with the kill switch turned on, with Surfshark, you’ll need to enable it manually. This will ensure your DNS isn’t leaked and help avoid the proxy error in the middle of a stream.
Enabling the internet kill switch is pretty straightforward, and I’ve outlined the process below for all the various platforms:
Follow the steps below to turn on the kill switch on your Windows client:
- Go to “Settings.”
- Click “Connectivity.”
- Toggle the button on the right side of the kill switch.
- When prompted, click “Continue” to enable the kill switch.
To switch on the internet kill switch on your Mac app, follow these steps:
- Open the app and click the “Surfshark” tab on the top left corner.
- Next, go to “Preferences.”
- Under the “General” tab, tick the checkmark box next to “Kill Switch.”
The Surfshark Android app offers both the internet kill switch and “Android native Kill Switch.”
However, you should note that the native kill switch option will disable the internet for everything, including whitelisted websites and apps.
To turn on the kill switch, follow the three steps below:
- Go to “Settings”
- Click “Connectivity.”
- Toggle on the button next to “VPN Kill Switch.”
If you prefer to use the “Android native Kill Switch,” you can access the feature from the same window as the VPN kill switch.
To turn on the internet kill switch on the iPhone app, use these steps:
- Open the Surfshark app and go to “Settings.”
- Scroll to “Kill Switch” and tap on the toggle button.
Which Netflix Libraries Does Surfshark Unblock?
Surfshark can access over 15 different Netflix libraries. As I mentioned earlier, to view a particular library, you just need to connect to a server in that country.
Some of the Netflix versions that Surfshark unblocks include:
- Netflix US – Connect to servers in the United States.
- Netflix UK – Connect to servers in the United Kingdom.
- Netflix CA – Connect to servers in Canada.
- Netflix IN – Connect to servers in India.
- Netflix IT – Connect to servers in Italy.
- Netflix NO – Connect to servers in Norway.
- Netflix DE – Connect to servers in Germany.
- Netflix AU – Connect to servers in Australia.
- Netflix JP – Connect to servers in Japan.
- Netflix KR – Connect to servers in South Korea.
- Netflix PL – Connect to servers in Poland.
- Netflix FR – Connect to servers in France.
- Netflix TR – Connect to servers in Turkey.
- Netflix SE – Connect to servers in Sweden.
- Netflix SG – Connect to servers in Singapore.
- Netflix – Connect to servers in the Netherlands.
- Netflix TW – Connect to servers in Taiwan.
- Netflix PT – Connect to servers in Portugal.
Which Devices Can I Use to Stream Netflix With Surfshark?
Surfshark is one of the best VPN in regards to compatibility. It supports all common platforms, enabling you to watch Netflix on your Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android devices.
Additionally, thanks to Surfshark’s Smart DNS feature, you can also use the VPN with devices that lack built-in VPN capability, such as:
- Amazon Firestick
- Apple TV
- Smart TV
How to Stream Netflix Using Surfshark Smart DNS?
To unblock Netflix using smart DNS, follow these steps:
- Sign up for a Surfshark account here.
- Go to the Surfshark smart DNS page.
- Enter your Surfshark account email and password and click Log In.
- Tap on the Smart DNS tab.
- Disconnect from the VPN and click the Get started button.
- Wait for Surfshark to detect your IP address.
- Next, click Activate Smart DNS.
- Wait for Surfshark to generate your smart DNS addresses. Once activated, you should be able to see your smart DNS addresses on your Smart DNS profile. What remains now is to set the smart DNS addresses on your device. Keep in mind that the process may differ slightly depending on your device.
Below are the next steps for Samsung smart TVs:
- On your smart TV, go to Network.
- Select the Network Status and click the IP Settings button.
- Navigate to DNS Settings and choose Enter Manually.
- Enter the Surfshark smart DNS addresses generated earlier.
Can Netflix Detect Surfshark VPN?
Yes, Netflix can detect Surfshark, but only if the shared IP you’re using has been compromised.
The streaming company keeps a database of known VPN IPs, and if your IP address matches any on the list, you’ll be blocked.
Surfshark updates its IP pool regularly, which makes it almost impossible to detect.
In addition, the provider offers dedicated IPs that are more reliable. Unlike shared IPs, dedicated IPs are assigned to one user, significantly reducing the odds of detection.
How To Tell if Surfshark Is Working With Netflix?
The best way to check whether Surfshark is working with Netflix is to search for titles that are exclusive to the Netflix version you’re trying to access.
To help you out, here are some titles that are exclusive to some of the popular Netflix libraries:
- The Office (US)
- The Pixar Story
- Walk Hard: The Dewey Cost Story
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Grease: Live
- Break Point
- 44 Cats
- The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
- Black Widow Business
- The Lies She Loved
If you can view the above movies and TV shows while connected to servers in the corresponding country, then Surfshark is working correctly.
Will Surfshark Improve My Netflix Streaming?
Is Using Surfshark With Netflix Legal?
According to Netflix’s terms and conditions, “VPN use is prohibited and may result in your account being terminated.”
Although Netflix takes a firm stance against the use of VPNs, you’re unlikely to get into legal trouble for using one to stream.
So far, I haven’t heard of anyone who has been banned for using a VPN. And believe you me, I’ve searched.
That said, I recommend getting a VPN that’s good at evading Netflix detection. Surfshark is one such VPN.
Netflix has some of the toughest anti-unblocking systems, and few VPNs can access it. For Surfshark, though, it’s a walk in the park.
The VPN unblocks over 15 Netflix versions, which is quite remarkable. It also offers speedy connections allowing you to stream in HD with zero buffering.
You can try out Surfshark risk-free using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Check our exclusive deal here!