Looking to stream Heartland, Murdoch Mysteries, and other CBC hit shows in the US? You can do so easily with a reliable VPN or Smart DNS proxy.
Surfshark is my top VPN for watching CBC Gem in the US. It unblocks the streaming service seamlessly and delivers fast Canadian server speeds, allowing you to stream in HD.
Keep reading to learn how to watch CBC in the US using a VPN or Smart DNS.
I’ll also show you which other VPNs work best with the streaming platform.
Let’s get started!
Stream CBC Gem in the US in Minutes!
Follow the steps below to unblock CBC in the US:
- Sign up for a VPN service (I recommend Surfshark).
- Download and install the VPN application on your streaming device.
- Launch the VPN app and sign in.
- Connect to a server located in Canada.
- Open your CBC Gem app and search for your favorite show.
Grab some popcorn and enjoy streaming CBC!
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Unblock CBC in the US?
Due to rights restrictions, CBC Gem is geo-restricted to Canada.
If you try to access the streaming service in the US, you’re met with a “The full Gem experience is not available outside of Canada” notification.
If you want to watch your favorite shows or live TV in the US, you need to connect to a Canadian VPN server or change the DNS of your device.
I’ll walk you through each method step-by-step.
Unblock CBC Using a VPN
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to watch CBC in US:
- Sign up for a VPN service (I recommend Surfshark because it unblocks CBC seamlessly and offers fast speeds for HD streaming).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Launch the application and sign in.
- Locate a Canada server location and click to connect.
- Open the CBC website or app and sign in.
- You can now stream your favorite CBC TV shows in the US!
This method should work with most streaming devices. If you’re interested in device-specific guides, keep scrolling – I’ll outline steps to streaming CBC on iPhone, Android, Fire TV, and more.
Unblock CBC With Smart DNS
Smart DNS services offer a faster alternative for streaming CBC in the US.
If your internet connection isn’t good enough, they can come in handy.
But most importantly, Smart DNS lets you unblock CBC on devices that don’t support VPNs.
It’s an ideal solution if you want to watch CBC on Apple TV, Xbox, and PlayStation.
The first step is purchasing a premium Smart DNS service with Canadian Smart DNS server locations.
After that, you can set up Smart DNS on your streaming device.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Choose a reliable SmartDNS service with Canadian Smart DNS servers.
- Subscribe and request a smart DNS address.
- On your streaming device, locate the DNS settings page (for Apple TV, go to “Network“).
- Select your network connection. If connected via Wi-Fi, then click on Wi-Fi.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Click on the Wi-Fi network and then Configure DNS.
- On the resulting window, select “Manual” and enter the DNS server address you received from your service provider.
- Save the changes and restart Apple TV.
You can now watch CBC in USA on any streaming device that lets you configure DNS settings. That rules out Roku. You need to configure a VPN on your router to watch CBC on Roku.
Best VPNs for Watching CBC
1. Surfshark – Best VPN for CBC Gem
Surfshark is my favorite choice for unblocking CBC outside Canada.
It has servers in Toronto and Vancouver, ensuring you get fast speeds and low latency, whether on the East or West Coast.
On average, Surfshark impacted my internet connection by only 11%.
This allows you to watch CBC in HD with at least an internet speed of 5.5 Mbps (and 7 Mbps for full HD).
You can set up the VPN on most streaming devices, including computers, smartphones, Android TVs, and Amazon Fire TV.
Another thing I liked about Surfshark is that it offers unlimited simultaneous connections with a single subscription.
This way, you can share your account with your family, friends, or housemates, letting everyone watch their CBC show of choice.
Grab our exclusive Surfshark deal now and unblock CBC in the US!
2. NordVPN – The Most Canada VPN Servers
With 480+ servers across 3 cities, NordVPN has the highest number of Canadian servers on my list.
In addition to Toronto and Vancouver, the provider has a Montreal server location enabling New Englanders to enjoy even lower latency when streaming CBC TV.
Like Surfshark, NordVPN has apps for most streaming devices.
Get NordVPN now and receive a one-time discount!
3. CyberGhost – Streaming-Optimized Server + Canada-Based Dedicated IP
CyberGhost is virtually the only VPN service with a dedicated streaming server for CBC. It’s optimized to provide fast speeds and is actively maintained to remove blacklisted IP addresses.
For an extra fee, CyberGhost also offers Canada-based dedicated IPs for stress-free access to CBC in the US. While shared IPs are effective at unblocking CBC, they’re easy to detect and blacklist.
You can use CyberGhost to watch CBC on all supported devices, including Roku, Smart TVs, and game consoles.
Get CyberGhost and try the VPN with CBC risk-free for 45 days.
Still Can't Access CBC Gem With a VPN? (Troubleshooting Tips)?
CBC won’t ban you or cancel your subscription for using a VPN, but it blocks known VPN IPs. If that happens, you may get the following error:
You can clear the error by switching to a different VPN server.
If the issue persists, clear cookies and restart your browser.
Also, remember that not all VPNs unblock CBC. So, make sure you’re using a tried and tested service.
What Can You Watch on CBC in the US?
CBC Gem offers lots of binge-worthy content across different genres – dramas, crime thrillers, and sitcoms. You also get live sporting events, news, and kids’ TV.
All the content is free, and you don’t need an account to watch on-demand shows.
But you need to log in to access local CBC TV channels.
You’ll also have to sit through ads or upgrade to a premium account.
CBC Gem Premium also comes with 24/7 access to the CBC News Network.
Some on-demand content offered by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation includes:
|The Great Canadian Baking Show||Reality TV|
|Pretty Hard Cases||Crime|
What Devices Work With CBC?
The CBC Gem app is available as an app for iOS (iPhone and iPad), tvOS (Apple TV), Android (phones, tablets, and Android TV), and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
You can also access the streaming service on PC, Mac, smart TVs, and gaming consoles via web browser at gem.cbc.ca.
Overall, the supported devices are:
- Fire TV
- iOS / iPadOS
- Apple TV
- Chrome OS devices
- Amazon Fire TV Smart TV
- Roku (CBC TV channel)
- Browser (PC, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation, and Smart TVs)
How to Stream CBC on PC in the US?
Here are the steps to watch CBC on a PC in the US:
- Subscribe to a VPN service.
- Download and install the VPN app on your Windows PC.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server in Canada (I recommend the server nearest to your city for lower latency).
- Open the CBC CBC Gem web player and start streaming.
That should do it. If you can’t stream, switch to a different Canada server location, clean your browser cookies, and reopen the web player.
How to Stream CBC on Mac in the US?
Most VPN services provide a macOS app, so the installation process is straightforward.
But if you need to share your Mac VPN connection to unblock CBC on another device, you should set up the VPN manually.
Otherwise, follow the steps below to access CBC on Mac:
- Sign up for a VPN service.
- Download and install the VPN app on your Mac.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a Canada server location.
- Go to the CBC website and open CBC Gem.
- Start streaming your favorites.
How to Stream CBC on Android in the US?
You can download the CBC Gem app from the Google Play Store and watch your favorite local channels in the US.
If you’re unsure how to go about it, don’t worry, I’ll show you how in a bit.
If you already have the CBC app installed, follow the steps below to start streaming:
- Sign up for a VPN service.
- Open the VPN app and log in.
- Scroll down the server list and connect to a Canadian location.
- Open the CBC Gem app and enjoy.
You can also stream CBC on your mobile browser, but for the best experience, I recommend getting the CBC Gem app.
How to Stream CBC on iOS in the US?
Follow the steps below to unblock CBC on iPhone or iPad:
- Subscribe to a VPN.
- Go to the Apple App Store and download the VPN app.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a Canada server location.
- Open the CBC Gem app or your mobile browser and stream CBC in the US.
If you can’t find the CBC app on your App store, it’s due to geo-restrictions.
But you can still download the app from outside Canada with a few tricks. Keep scrolling to learn how.
How to Stream CBC on Roku in the US?
CBC Gem is not available on Roku. But the media player has a CBC TV channel that offers a variety of CBC content.
Because Roku doesn’t support VPNs, you need to set up your VPN on a router to unblock CBC. You can use a physical or virtual router (PC or Mac).
Here are the steps to follow:
- Sign up for a VPN compatible with your router.
- Configure the VPN on your router (or install it on your PC or Mac and share the VPN connection to Roku).
- Switch on Roku and connect to your new VPN-enable Wi-Fi network.
- Choose CBC TV from the list of Channels.
- Watch The Nationals and other exclusive CBC content.
How to Stream CBC Apple TV in the US?
Apple doesn’t work with VPNs. You can unblock CBC with Smart DNS, but I recommend doing it the Roku way by setting up a VPN on your router.
Here is how:
- Choose a VPN service compatible with your router and sign up.
- Open the CBC app on your Apple TV.
- Pick a TV series, sit back, and enjoy!
How to Stream CBC on Amazon Firestick in the US?
Amazon Firestick supports VPNs, and you can download and install your VPN directly on the Amazon App Store.
To access CBC on Amazon Fire TV, follow the steps below:
- Sign up for a VPN.
- Open the Amazon App Store and get the VPN app.
- Once installed, launch the VPN and log in.
- Connect to a Canadian server.
- Launch the CBC Gem app and start streaming!
How to Download the CBC Gem App in the US?
The CBC Gem app isn’t available in the US app stores. So, to download the app, you need to change your location settings.
The process varies depending on your device. On Firestick, it’s more straightforward since you only need to update your account location to Canada and sign back in.
But it can be a bit more complicated, especially for iOS and Android users.
Luckily, I’m here to help.
Download CBC Gem on Android Outside Canada
Here are the steps you need to follow to download CBC Gem on your Android smartphone, tablet, or smart TV:
- Sign up for a VPN service (I recommend Surfshark).
- Connect to a Canada VPN location to obtain a Canadian IP address.
- Go to Settings > Location and disable “Location services.”
- Go to Settings > Apps and click “Google Play Store.”
- On the “App info” page, click “Force stop.”
- On the same window, open “Storage” and first “Clear cache” and then “Clear data.”
- Go to your app drawer and log into the Play Store with a new Google account.
- Search “CBC” and select “CBC Gem: Shows & Live TV.”
- Click “Install” and wait for the app to download.
- Open CBC Gem and enter your credentials to log in.
There you go! You can now use the CBC app on your Samsung or Pixel smartphone.
Once you install the app, you can switch to your primary Play Store account and turn on location services.
Download CBC App on iOS Outside Canada
You need to sign out of your iCloud account and create a new one with your location set to Canada.
This will give you access to the Canadian App Store, allowing you to download CBC Gem in the US. After downloading the streaming app, you can switch to your primary iCloud account.
Alternatively, you can update the region on your current account.
But beware, you will lose your data.
If you opt for the second route, I recommend downloading all your important content and backing it up on iCloud or external storage.
After that, follow the steps below to install the CBC app on your iPhone in the US:
- Open your VPN and connect to a Canadian server (I recommend Surfshark).
- Go to your Apple account settings and select “Media and Purchases.”
- Click “View Account.”
- Select “Country/Region.”
- Click “Change Country or Region” and pick “Canada.”
You can now download the CBC app in the US on your iPhone and iPad.
Watching CBC with a VPN is legal in the US and most countries worldwide.
While it’s not something I recommend due to the privacy issues, and frustratingly slow speeds of most free VPNs, you can watch CBC with a free VPN.
But very few free VPNs can unblock CBC, and most have data caps, making them unsuitable for streaming.
CBC has a streaming app for iOS (iPhone and iPad), Android (smartphone and tablet), Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV.
CBC is free to stream; you don’t need to register or provide your credit card details.
But you will need to watch ads. If you want to opt-out of commercials, CBC has a paid version that’s ad-free.
You can purchase CBC Gem in the US through the CBC Gem app for Android, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and the CBC Gem website.
If subscribing directly via the CBC Gem website, you need the following forms of payment:
- Visa Debit
- Debit MasterCard
CBC only accepts cards with a Canadian billing address.
As you can see, streaming CBC in the US is pretty easy. Just be sure to use a capable VPN or Smart DNS service.
I recommend Surfshark thanks to its reliability and lightning-fast speeds.
Ready to unblock CBC Gem?
Grab our exclusive Surfshark deal and stream risk-free for 30 days!