Surfshark works in Japan!
In fact, you can use Surfshark to stream the US Netflix show Fisk or any other international show in Japan.
Additionally, Surfshark beats ASAHI Net and Yahoo BB speed throttling while playing Fortnite, COD, or your favorite online game in Tokyo.
Ready to optimize your internet experience in the Land of The Rising Sun?
How to Set Up Surfshark for Japan?
To set up Surfshark for Japan, install the app, connect to a suitable server, and launch the VPN for reliable unblocking. Follow these steps:
- Buy a Surfshark subscription and save BIG with these discount deals. I recommend the multi-year plan for its long-term savings.
- Download the Surfshark VPN app for your preferred device. I’ll download the Surfshark Windows VPN app for this guide.
- Launch the Surfshark VPN app and log in with your credentials.
- Connect to a suitable Surfshark protocol. I recommend WireGuard so that you can load Line in seconds. Go to Settings > VPN Settings > Protocol > WireGuard to connect.
- Activate the Surfshark kill switch to secure your VPN connection. Go to Settings > VPN Settings > Kill Switch to activate.
- Connect to a suitable Surfshark server location. Click Quick Connect to automatically connect to the nearest servers with low latency and fast speeds.
- Or go to Search Locations to connect to a server of your choice.
- Test for leaks to confirm if your VPN connection is secure on www.ipleak.net. Your assigned Surfshark IP address should match that on the test site.
- You can now seamlessly stream Hulu US and Disney+ shows in Japan while beating Sakura Fiber’s internet speed throttling.
For context, I streamed The Best of Enemies, a US Netflix show on the US – Ashburn Surfshark server with zero issues.
Using the guides below, you can also set up Surfshark on non-android devices or devices that don’t natively support VPNs.
How to Get a Japanese IP Address With Surfshark?
Surfshark boasts 60+ Japan – Tokyo servers to stream A Chef of Nobunaga on TV Asahi from the comfort of your Chateau in the Swiss Alps.
Follow these steps to get a Japanese IP with Surfshark:
- Grab a Surfshark subscription. (Get discounts)
- Follow steps 2-5 above.
- Click “Locations” to access the complete Surfshark server list and connect to “Japan.”
- Alternatively, go to “Search locations” and input Japan.
- You can now conduct secure Resona Bank online transactions with a Surfshark Japanese IP address without experiencing annoying IP bans or service denial prompts.
I also streamed NHK World on a Japan – Tokyo Surfshark server in Belgium with fast speeds and zero disconnections.
What's the Best Surfshark Server for Japan?
I streamed Outback, a Netflix AU show on Surfshark’s Australia – Perth server in HD, thanks to Surfshark’s large server spread and reliable unblocking.
So, the best, Surfshark server for Japan depends on your VPN needs.
For example, you can connect to the same Surfshark server above to unblock more Netflix AU content.
Otherwise, Surfshark offers 3,200 servers in 100+ countries to reliably beat So-net and Biglobe speed throttling. Likewise, secure your public WiFi connection, as I did at Kansai International Airport, using Surfshark dynamic MultiHop servers.
I also conducted speed tests on a South African server to identify the best Surfshark protocol for different scenarios while transiting through Narita International Airport.
As expected, WireGuard trumped the competition!
The WireGuard protocol averaged 7.34 Mbps speeds on a 15 Mbps network, fast enough for lag-free Call of Duty and FFXIV sessions.
Surfsharks OpenVPN UDP protocol wasn’t slow either, averaging 5.21 Mbps speeds on a 15 Mbps network.
Surfshark also offers 10+ static Japan IP addresses for fast internet and improved online security. While on a tour of Kyoto, I used Surfshark’s static Japanese IP address to create a virtual COD router for my Japanese gaming team.
On top of everything, Surfshark offers a dedicated Japanese IP address as a paid add-on.
I use this to reduce Fortnite gaming bans.
Surfshark doesn’t offer port forwarding in Japan or on any other Surfshark server. However, reliable Surfshark alternatives provide port forwarding to host virtual Minecraft servers in Japan and unblock ports on restricted networks like the Kyoto Fire Department for Dota 2 gaming.
Become a Digital Samurai
Surfshark is a fast Japanese VPN that will secure your public WiFi connection at Okinawa train station while beating au Hikari speed throttling.
Additionally, Surfshark offers numerous Japanese servers to stream Oha Suta on TV Tokyo anywhere. Surfshark will also secure your Bank of Tokyo online transactions without raising red flags.
If Surfshark sounds exciting, try it risk-free for 30 days and save BIG by grabbing these Surfshark Deals.