Ivacy works smoothly with Roku – and you can set it up in minutes.
The easiest way to do so is to install the VPN on your router, but you can also run it on your computer and share the connection to Roku.
If that sounds complicated, don’t worry. I’ll take you through the setup process step by step
Quick Guide: How to Set Up Ivacy on Roku?
In a hurry? Here is how to unblock Roku with Ivacy.
- Subscribe to Ivacy.
- Install the VPN on your router.
- Connect to a US server.
- Fire up Roku and connect to the Ivacy-enabled WiFi connection.
How to Set Up Ivacy on Roku?
Roku lacks built-in VPN functionality. That means you can’t install Ivacy directly as you would on Amazon Firestick or Android TV.
As mentioned, there are only two ways you can set up Ivacy on Roku:
- Through a physical router
- Through a virtual router
Before you begin, ensure you have an active Ivacy subscription.
If you don’t, you can sign up quickly using the steps below:
- Click here and select your preferred subscription plan.
- Enter your email address to create your Ivacy account.
- Select a payment method. Paypal accepts credit cards, PayPal, Bit Pay, Coins Gate, Perfect Money, and others.
- Click “Proceed to Payment” to complete the signup process.
How to Set Up Ivacy on Roku via a Physical Router?
You can configure Ivacy VPN on the following routers:
|Synology||PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN|
Contrary to what you might think, installing Ivacy on a router is pretty straightforward. The provider offers a user-friendly client and applet for Asus and DD-WRT.
How to Set Up Ivacy on DD-WRT?
If you have a DD-WRT-ready router, follow the steps below to set up Ivacy and unblock Roku.
Otherwise, you’ll need to flash your router to DD-WRT first.
Once you’re ready, set up Ivacy on your DD-WRT router:
- Enter http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar to open your DD-WRT web interface.
- Go to Administration > Commands and enter the following command in the command shell:
eval `wget -q -O – ‘http://router.ivacy.com/cgi-bin/applet-cgi.py’`
- Wait for the command to be executed (you’ll receive a notification on completion.)
- Go to Status > My Page and enter your Ivacy username and password.
- Pick your preferred protocol and select a US server location.
- Click “Connect” and wait for the status box to change from “Disconnected” to “Connected.”
You successfully set up Ivacy on your DD-WRT router.
Now you need to connect Roku to the resulting Wi-Fi connection using the steps below:
- Switch on your Roku device and go to Settings > Network.
- Click “Set up new wireless connection.”
- Select your WiFi network and click “Connect.”
Congratulations! You’re now using Ivacy on Roku. You can now access your favorite channels from anywhere in the world.
How to Set Up Ivacy on Asus Routers?
Asus routers come with an easily-navigable VPN client, allowing you to set up Ivacy in minutes. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Download Ivacy OpenVPN files.
- Enter your router’s IP address into your browser address field to access the admin panel.
- Click “VPN” on the left-side menu.
- Select the “VPN Client” tab and click “Add Profile.”
- Select OpenVPN and enter the following information:
Description: Enter a name you can easily recognize.
Username: Enter your Ivacy account email address.
Password: Enter your Ivacy account password.
- Click “Choose File” and open the OpenVPN folder you downloaded earlier.
- Select a US server location from the list and click “Open.”
- Click “Upload.”
- Leave the “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually” box unchecked and click OK.
- Click “Activate” to establish your Ivacy VPN connection.
Once the connection is active, you’ll receive an “Initialization Sequence Completed” notification. You can now unlock Roku with Ivacy VPN.
Set Up Ivacy on Roku via PC & Mac
If you don’t have access to a physical router, don’t worry. I’ll show you how to create a virtual router on your computer and share your Ivacy connection to Roku.
This method works with Windows 10 and macOS.
Set Up Ivacy on Roku via Windows PC
Follow the steps below to set up Ivacy on Roku via Windows:
- Download and install the Ivacy VPN app on your PC (but don’t connect yet).
- Go to Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Hotspot and enable mobile hotspot.
- Click “Change adapter settings” under “Related settings.”
- Right-click the Ivacy TAP-Windows adapter and click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- Click “Select a private network connection” and select your network from the dropdown menu.
- Open the Ivacy VPN app and log in.
- Open the server list and connect to a US server.
- Connect your Roku device to the resulting mobile hotspot and enjoy!
Set Up Ivacy on Roku via Mac
You can also share your Ivacy VPN connection to Roku via Mac.
But you need to set up the VPN manually and not through the macOS Ivacy app.
Below are the steps to set up Ivacy on Roku via Mac:
- Go to System Preferences > Network.
- Click the + button to add a new connection.
- In the pop-up window, enter the following information and click “Create.”
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP Over IPSec
- Service Name: Enter a name that will help you recognize your connection (for example, Roku VPN).
- In the Network window, enter the following details:
- Configuration: Select Default.
- Server Address: Enter an L2TP US server address. (You can find a list of Ivacy server addresses here).
- Account Name: Enter your Ivacy username (Ivacy account email address).
- Click Authentication Settings, enter your Ivacy password, and click OK.
- Click “Advanced,” check the box for “Send all traffic over VPN connection,” and click OK.
- Click Apply to save your Ivacy configuration and “Connect” to start your VPN connection.
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing and select Internet Sharing.
- On the “Sharing” window and under “To computers using,” select Wi-Fi.
- In the “Share your connection from” box, select Ivacy (or the name you gave to your Ivacy connection in step 3).
- Click Wi-Fi Options and enter the following:
- Network Name: Enter any name.
- Channel: Default
- Security: WPA2 Personal.
- Password: Type a password for the newly created Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Verify: Retype the password.
- Click the box next to Internet Sharing to activate the virtual VPN hotspot.
You’re all set. You can now connect your Roku streamer and enjoy access to geo-restricted channels and streaming services.
Ivacy Not Working With Roku?
So far, I’ve had a smooth time using Ivacy with Roku. But just as with any other software, you may encounter issues down the line.
If you’re facing a connectivity problem, try the following solutions:
- Switch Servers
If you can’t access Roku, the server you configured into your router may be down or unavailable. Head over to the Ivacy server list, and pick a new server.
- Enable Ivacy Kill Switch
- Check Your Roku Region
How to Change My Roku Region?
Since channels are geo-linked to your Roku account, you should ensure your details correspond with the content you want to see.
For instance, you need a UK Roku account to access BBC iPlayer and a US Roku account to stream Hulu movies and TV shows.
You can change your Roku region by following the steps below:
- Launch Roku and connect to an Ivacy-enabled Wi-Fi network. Ensure the VPN is configured to a US VPN server if you want to unblock US-only channels like Hulu.
- Go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up Roku and connect to your Ivacy VPN router when the option appears.
- Go to my.roku.com/signup to create a new account (don’t use an email address linked to another Roku account).
- Log into Roku using your new US-based account.
It’s legal to use Roku with Ivacy. No laws prevent you from using a VPN service to unblock geo-restricted channels on Roku.
Ivacy doesn’t have an app for Roku. This is because the streaming device doesn’t support native VPN apps.
You cannot install Ivacy directly on Roku because the media player isn’t compatible with VPNs. But you can use Ivacy with Roku by installing it on your router. Alternatively, you can set up the VPN on your computer and share the connection to Roku via EWiFi hotspot or Ethernet.
You can change your Roku region, but you’ll need to factory reset your device and create a new account. When creating your account, ensure you’re connected to an Ivacy VPN server in your preferred region.
As you can see, setting up Ivacy on Roku isn’t complicated. Although you can’t install the VPN directly, you can still use it with the media player if you have a router, PC, or Mac.
Just follow the steps outlined above, and you’ll be watching your favorite movies and TV shows in no time!
Don’t forget to grab our exclusive Ivacy discount and save on your subscription!