NordVPN works with IoT devices for much-needed privacy and security for connected devices.
The VPN service provider uses AES 256-bit encryption to keep hackers, snoops, and other unauthorized personnel out of your IoT device’s data.
Likewise, it has secured IoXT certification on its Android app, ensuring compatible security with IoT device controllers.
However, setting up NordVPN for your IoT devices isn’t as straightforward as using the VPN on other devices. Let me show you how.
How to Setup NordVPN for IoT Devices?
- Check that your router is compatible with VPNs. Here’s a helpful video to guide you through.
- Optional: If your router is incompatible, try flashing a custom firmware to make it compatible.
- Install NordVPN on your router. The video guide below will help.
- Connect your smart units to the resulting router network.
- Enjoy secure encryption and online privacy across your IoT device network.
An alternative method to set up NordVPN for your connected devices is via a virtual PC router. I recommend this method if you don’t have a VPN-compatible router and don’t want to invest in one.
Here’s how to set this up:
- Get a NordVPN account. Save more with these discounts.
- Download and install NordVPN on your Windows PC.
- Launch the NordVPN app and log in with your account credentials.
- Set up a VPN hotspot on your PC. You can adapt the video guide below to do so.
- Connect your IoT devices to the created PC hotspot.
You can now rest easy, knowing your smart TV, Ring doorbell, and smart thermostat cameras are secure against DDoS attacks and hackers.
How to Setup NordVPN for IoT Unit Controllers?
NordVPN should also be used to protect the smartphones and PCs controlling your IoT units. This ensures they’re not the point of malicious entry for hackers that can’t breach the secure router network your smart units are connected to.
Follow these steps:
- Launch the app and log in with your email/password.
- Connect to a NordVPN server. I recommend a nearby server for optimal performance.
- Open your IoT device’s app/go to its IP address.
- Securely access your smart camera feeds, get updates from your smart motion sensors remotely, or get secure updates from your other smart units.
Can You Access IoT Devices Remotely Over NordVPN?
You can access IoT devices remotely when connected to NordVPN on the smart units or your controlling devices. However, you can only receive updates from your IoT devices in these cases but won’t be able to control them remotely anymore.
The best part is that being unable to control the units remotely also means hackers can’t hijack your feeds to take control of your smart devices from anywhere.
On top of that, they can’t break NordVPN’s encryption to access the same updates your IoT units send you.
If you want to access and control your IoT units on a secure VPN, you should opt for a provider with port forwarding access.
Reliable providers like Private Internet Access (get discounts here) offer free port forwarding on almost all servers. Once you’ve opened ports and forwarded them to the IoT units, you can access and control them from anywhere globally on a secure network.
Get the NordVPN Security Promise
Be sure to start securing your smart units before your smart doorbells are hijacked in a DDoS attack or a hacker steals stills from your home camera.
Ensure the Wi-Fi network they’re on is protected by NordVPN’s encryption.
That way, hackers won’t bother with your devices since they can access other low-hanging fruits elsewhere.
Grab these NordVPN discounts to get your IoT device protection cheaper.