You can use PrivateVPN with DirecTV by connecting to any of its US server locations. This assigns you an American IP address, bypassing DirecTV geo-restrictions.
I tested all 12 PrivateVPN US servers with the streaming service, and all worked well – allowing me to stream in HD without interruptions.
This guide will show you how to use PrivateVPN with DirecTV on your specific device.
Let’s get started!
Watch DirecTV With PrivateVPN in 5 Quick Steps!
Follow the steps below to unblock DirecTV with PrivateVPN outside the US:
- Sign up for PrivateVPN (Get an exclusive discount).
- Download and install the VPN app on your streaming device.
- Launch the PrivateVPN app and sign in.
- Connect to a US VPN server.
- Open DirecTV and stream your favorite channels.
How to Watch DirecTV With PrivateVPN?
PrivateVPN lets you unblock DirecTV on a wide range of devices.
But the setup process will depend on your streaming platform:
|Streaming Device||Unblocking Methods|
|Web Browser (Windows, Mac)||PrivateVPN App|
|iOS – iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch||PrivateVPN App|
|Android TV||PrivateVPN App|
|Amazon Fire TV||PrivateVPN App|
|Apple TV||PrivateVPN + Router|
|Samsung Smart TV||PrivateVPN + Router|
|Roku||PrivateVPN + Router|
|Chromecast||PrivateVPN + Router|
Unblock DirecTV With the PrivateVPN App
This is the easiest method to stream DirecTV with PrivateVPN.
The VPN service comes with user-friendly VPN apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and android-based streaming platforms.
If you use such a device, follow the steps below to unblock DirecTV:
- Sign up for PrivateVPN (Grab our time-limited discount).
- Download and install the PrivateVPN app on your device.
- Launch PrivateVPN and enter your account details to log in.
- Click “Change” to open the PrivateVPN server list.
- Select the “Dashboard” tab and click the “Connection Type” field to choose your VPN protocol. The default OpenVPN protocol is more reliable and secure, but the L2TP and PPTP protocols offer faster connections.
- Select the “Connection Guard” tab and toggle on the Kill Switch. This feature blocks your DirecTV internet traffic if PrivateVPN disconnects unexpectedly, ensuring your real IP doesn’t leak.
- Go back to the “Dashboard” tab and click “Change” to access the PrivateVPN server list.
- Click on a US server location to establish your PrivateVPN connection.
- Open DirecTV Stream and enjoy!
Unblock DirecTV With PrivateVPN via Router
You need to set up PrivateVPN on a router to unblock DirecTV on Apple TV, Roku, or Smart TVs. The service is compatible with the following router brands and firmware:
If your router brand isn’t listed above, don’t worry. You can still use it with PrivateVPN, but you must flash it with custom firmware.
I recommend DD-WRT because it’s easy to use and compatible with most router brands, including Netgear, TP-Link, and D-Link.
Remember to go beyond the brand name and ensure that your exact model is compatible with DD-WRT.
Otherwise, you might damage a good router.
After that, follow the steps below to install PrivateVPN on your router and unblock DirecTV:
- Enter https://192.168.1.1 into your browser’s address bar to open the DD-WRT control panel.
- Click the Setup and select Basic Setup.
- Scroll down to Network Setup, and under “Network Address Server Settings (DHCP),” enter 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 into Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2, respectively. Click Save and then Apply Settings.
- Select the Administration tab and click Commands.
- Download or open the PrivateVPN DD-WRT OpenVPN script.
- Copy and paste the text into the Command shell and edit the following lines:
- USERNAME=”Enter your user name for PrivateVPN”
- PASSWORD=”Enter your password for PrivateVPN”
- remote – Replace the server address with a US server address from the PrivateVPN server list.
- After you’ve made the above changes to the PrivateVPN DD-WRT OpenVPN script, click Save Startup.
- Open the Management tab and click Reboot Router.
That’s it! You successfully set up PrivateVPN on your DD-WRT router.
Now connect your streaming device to the router’s WiFi network to unblock DirecTV.
Use PrivateVPN With DirecTV via Mobile Hotspot
If you don’t have access to a router, you can install PrivateVPN on your computer and share its VPN connection over WiFi hotspot.
This method works on both Windows and Mac.
Follow the steps below:
- Open the PrivateVPN app and connect to a US server.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot. Toggle on “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- Under “Related settings,” click “Change adapter options.”
- Right-click on the PrivateVPN connection adapter and click Properties. In this case, it’s “Local Area Connection 3.”
- Open the “Sharing” tab and check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- In the same window, under “Home networking connection,” click “Select a private network connection.” Pick the mobile hotspot you just created and click OK.
- Connect your DirecTV streaming device to your new WiFi hotspot to access the streaming service from overseas.
Here are the steps to set up PrivateVPN on Mac and share its VPN connection to your DirecTV device:
- Download the macOS client from the official website.
- Open the PrivateVPN installation package. You’ll be prompted to confirm that you want to open a file from an unidentified developer. Click Open.
- Click “Continue” and follow the setup prompts to complete the installation.
- When the “Installer is trying to install new software” window pops up, enter your Mac administrator’s name and password and click “Install Software.”
- Open PrivateVPN. When prompted to “install the helper tool,” enter your password and click “Install Helper.”
- Enter your PrivateVPN account username and password to log in.
- Go to “System Preferences” and click “Sharing.”
- Select “Internet Sharing” and set the following configuration:
- Share your connection from: VPN (L2TP)
- To computers using: Wi-Fi
- Go to “Wi-Fi options” and enter the following configurations:
- Network Name: (enter any name)
- Channel: (leave as default)
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: (enter a password)
- Verify: (re-enter your password)
- Turn on “Internet Sharing.”
- On your DirecTV streaming device, turn on WiFi and connect to the new Wi-Fi network.
Is PrivateVPN Good for DirecTV?
PrivateVPN is an ideal VPN service for watching DirecTV. It has numerous American servers, and I had an easy time unblocking the service outside the US.
Another reason I like using PrivateVPN with DirecTV is speed.
In my tests, it delivered super-fast connections, allowing me to stream in HD without interruptions.
The VPN provider has user-friendly apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Firestick.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t support Smart DNS proxy. Without this feature, you can’t directly unblock DirecTV on Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV.
On the bright side, the VPN works with routers enabling you to use it with every DirecTV-compatible device.
If you don’t have a router, you can share your PrivateVPN connection to your streaming device via Windows or Mac.
On top of being one of the most affordable premium VPN services, PrivateVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free.
Here are some of the pros and cons of using PrivateVPN with DirecTV:
PrivateVPN Alternatives for DirecTV
While PrivateVPN is an excellent choice for streaming DirecTV, it also lacks in some areas. If you’re looking for an alternative, the 3 VPN providers below are fantastic choices:
- ExpressVPN: While fast, PrivateVPN doesn’t come close to the super-fast connections you get with ExpressVPN. This VPN provider also offers Smart DNS, making it easier to unblock DirecTV on Apple TV, Xbox, and Samsung TV.
- Surfshark: Offers Smart DNS and supports unlimited simultaneous connections. Great choice if you have a large household. But it doesn’t let you unblock DirecTV on non-compatible devices via Mac.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): Another DirecTV VPN that offers SmartDNS. Unfortunately, Private Internet Access doesn’t allow you to share its connection via Mac.
Yes, you can watch DirecTV with PrivateVPN on multiple devices.
The streaming service allows unlimited simultaneous streams on your home network and up to 3 streams on the go.
PrivateVPN, on the other hand, supports a maximum of 10 devices at the same time.
PrivateVPN is easy to use with DirecTV. On a PrivateVPN-compatible device, it only takes a few minutes to unblock the streaming service.
I also outlined the steps to use PrivateVPN with non-compatible devices like Roku and Apple TV. Follow the guides above, and you’ll be streaming your favorite US TV networks in no time!
Don’t forget to grab our exclusive PrivateVPN deal and save money on your subscription.