NordVPN doesn’t have a PlayStation 4 app like it does for PCs and mobile devices.
However, you can still set up NordVPN on your PS4 by installing it on your router to broadcast a secure connection to the console.
PS4 users who don’t have a VPN-compatible router can set up a virtual router or use NordVPN’s Smart DNS.
While these methods will get NordVPN working on your PS4, they have specific drawbacks to keep in mind.
So, let’s explore all the setup methods below and see which works best!
4 Methods to Set Up NordVPN on a PS4 Console
I’ll discuss the four methods to set up NordVPN to defeat DDoS attempts, grab DLCs from other regions, download games cheaper, or connect to peers abroad on your PS4.
But before we get into that, check the table below for a short comparison of the methods.
|Ease of Setup
|Requires Extra Hardware
Method 1: Router Setup
You can set up NordVPN on your router. So, your connected PS4 gets VPN encryption, privacy, and security by connecting to that router network.
Here’s how to get this done:
- Check that your router is VPN-compatible. You can do so via the manufacturer’s page/manual or by Googling your router model.
- If your router is VPN-compatible, proceed. Otherwise, check if it can be flashed with custom firmware to make it compatible. I’ve added a video guide below.
- Purchase a NordVPN plan. Grab these discounts for some savings.
- Install NordVPN on your router. Follow the video guide below.
- Ensure to download configuration files for a location closer to you (for secure gaming) or where you want to unblock content (to bypass geo-restriction).
- Connect your PS4 to the resulting router network.
- Unblock gaming titles, play GTA V Online P2P mode without worrying about DDoS attacks, and beat foreign players at FIFA 23 all day!
Method 2: Virtual Wi-Fi Router Setup
This method is best for PlayStation 4 gamers who don’t have a VPN-compatible router and don’t want to invest in one. It simply requires turning your Windows PC into a virtual router for your console.
- Don’t have a NordVPN plan yet? These VPN savings were made for you!
- Download and install the NordVPN Windows PC app.
- Launch the app and log in with your email/password.
- Set up your PC’s hotspot for VPN sharing. Follow and adapt the video below for NordVPN.
- Once set up, go to the NordVPN app and connect to any server.
- Wait for the connection confirmation.
- Connect your PS4 to the PC hotspot via Wi-Fi.
- Show your friends who’s boss in Fortnite without lag and beat MK 11 opponents in P2P mode without getting those nasty screen freezes.
Method 3: Virtual Ethernet Router Setup
The virtual ethernet router setup follows the same steps as Method #2 above.
The only difference is that this method is best for PS4 players who like to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable rather than wirelessly.
If that’s you, here’s what to do:
- Get your NordVPN plan (discounts here) before we start.
- Follow steps 2-3 above.
- Set up your PC to share a secure VPN connection via Ethernet. The video below will help you.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 from above.
- Connect your PC to the PS4 via your ethernet cable.
- Use the bigger ethernet speed boost to crush P2P opponents in Red Dead Online, Warframe, For Honor, and other P2P games without DDoS fears.
Method 4: Smart DNS
NordVPN’s Smart DNS should be a last resort, and I only recommend it for PS4 users who want to stream content on their console or unblock US game lobbies.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Get a NordVPN plan if you don’t have one. Here are some discount offers for savings.
- Disconnect from any VPN/proxy service you’re connected to.
- Connect your PS4 and PC/mobile device to the same Wi-Fi/router network.
- Login to your NordVPN online account on your PC/mobile device. You’ll use the same email/password combination you signed up with.
- Click “NordVPN” in the left-hand menu.
- Click “Enable” under “Smart DNS.”
- NordVPN sometimes takes a few minutes to activate. Click “Ok, got it” on the upcoming prompt.
- Once notified of the smart DNS activation via email, return to your NordVPN dashboard.
- Locate the smart DNS addresses under the Smart DNS tab. Copy them somewhere.
- Switch on your PlayStation 4.
- Go to your PS4’s network settings.
- Change the primary and secondary DNS addresses. I recommend using THE SAME DNS address in the primary and secondary slots.
Can You Get PS4 Games Cheaper With NordVPN?
New PlayStation 4 users can get games cheaper with NordVPN by setting their PlayStation Network (PSN) to the location where games are cheaper.
Likewise, these users should connect to a NordVPN server in such regions.
Hence, Sony’s servers believe the player is signing up from such areas.
However, existing PS4 users can’t get games cheaper from another region with NordVPN if their PSN is set to other locations.
While NordVPN will still change their IP address and location details, PlayStation credits all purchases to the region they’ve chosen. So, existing users must create a new PSN with the desired region where games are cheaper.
Remember that changing your PSN region will confine you to other restrictions in those regions. Likewise, you can’t transfer games across regions.
So, games and content bought in one PSN region are locked to that region’s account.
Does NordVPN Offer DDoS Protection on PS4?
You can get NordVPN’s DDoS protection on PS4 as a free add-on during gameplay by connecting via its router or virtual router methods. However, the Smart DNS setup lacks DDoS protection as it doesn’t hide your IP address, only electing to spoof your DNS address instead.
Can You Stream Netflix Using NordVPN on PS4?
You can stream regional Netflix shows like Call Me Francis, The Exorcist, NCIS, and other region-locked content from anywhere with NordVPN on your PS4.
All the NordVPN-PS4 connection methods work for streaming Netflix.
However, Smart DNS is partial to streaming the Netflix US content library alone and may not work as reliably as the other setup methods.
Speaking of the others, you get to unblock Netflix CA, Netflix IT, Netflix AU, Netflix DE, and other regional libraries from anywhere on your PS4.
You only need to connect the NordVPN app to the Netflix region server you want; it’ll do the rest for you.
One VPN for Endless Gaming and Streaming
NordVPN significantly upgrades the fun you can have on your PlayStation 4 unit.
Its 5700+ servers in 60 countries unblock gaming titles on regional PSN accounts. Plus, you get robust DDoS protection when playing P2P titles anytime.
Likewise, you can now enjoy the streaming side of your PS4 unit as NordVPN unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming apps.
And since it offers multiple setup methods, you don’t have to worry about being stranded.
Isn’t now an excellent time to grab these NordVPN-PS4 discounts before they expire?