PrivateVPN works seamlessly in Japan.
Plus, with physical servers in Japan, PrivateVPN lets you access NHK, TV Asahi, Nippon Television, and Fuji TV. It also guarantees online privacy against Nuro Hikari, NTT Docomo, au Hikari, and Asahi Net.
Interesting? Read this guide to learn how to set up PrivateVPN on your preferred device(s) in Japan!
How to Set Up PrivateVPN on PC/Mobile in Japan?
PrivateVPN works on mobiles (Android, iOS) and personal computers (Windows, macOS, Browsers, Chromebook).
Here’s how to set it up in Japan:
- Subscribe to PrivateVPN. Use my time-limited PrivateVPN discounts to cut costs!
- Download and install the PrivateVPN app on your mobile/PC. I’ll use Windows PC for this demonstration.
- Open the VPN app and click “Log In.”
- Enter your Username and Password to log in.
- Click “Advanced View.”
- Turn on the VPN kill switch feature to prevent IP/DNS leaking if your VPN connection drops. Go to “Connection Guard,” then toggle “Kill Switch.”
- Go to “Dashboard,” then choose OpenVPN (TUN+UDP+1194) protocol next to “Connection type” for fast speeds and stable connection when watching My Daddy Long Legs on Fuji TV or other local Japan content.
- Click the “Simple view” command at the bottom left corner to return to the VPN’s home page.
- Click “Change.” This opens the server list.
- Type your preferred server country on the VPN search bar. I’ll choose the USA.
- Double-click on the preferred server location from the prompted options to connect.
- Test for IP/DNS leaks. My IP/DNS leak test showed the USA – Las Vegas IP address.
How to Set Up PrivateVPN on Smart TVs in Japan?
Using the guide above, you can comfortably set up and use PrivateVPN on Android TV in Japan. However, the VPN also works on non-Andriod TVs via physical or virtual router methods.
The physical router method involves configuring PrivateVPN on a VPN-compatible router, then connecting your smart TV to enjoy unrestricted access to J Sports, BS Asahi, Wowow, and other local channels.
You can also create a virtual router using your PC.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your PC settings, then select “Network & Internet.”
- Navigate to “Mobile hotspot” and turn on the mobile hotspot button. Take note of the “Network name” and “Network password.”
- Click “Change adapter options” under “Related settings.”
- Double-click the Local Area Connection with the “TAP-Windows Adapter V9” option.
- Select “Sharing,” then check the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Click “Select a private network connection.”
- Choose your mobile hotspot connection from the drop-down menu, usually named “Local Area Connection* [#],” then click “OK.”
- Launch the PrivateVPN app on your PC, then connect to a preferred VPN server.
- That’s it! You’ve created a virtual router on your PC. Start your smart TV and use the name and password from step 3 to connect for seamless access to Abema TV, U-Next, and Hulu JP while protecting your online connection.
Bonus method: You can set up PrivateVPN on smart TVs in Japan via Amazon Firestick. To do so, buy a Firestick, plug it into your smart TV’s HDMI port, then download and install Private VPN on the Firestick to access Netflix US, Hulu (US), and other international streaming services on your smart TV.
How to Set Up PrivateVPN on Gaming Consoles in Japan?
PrivateVPN doesn’t have a Smart DNS service to set up gaming consoles that don’t have VPN support. But don’t worry! Using the router method, you can still use PrivateVPN to secure your gaming sessions, similar to smart TVs.
Here’s a detailed guide to walk you through every step!
How to Get a Japanese IP Address With PrivateVPN?
To obtain a Japanese IP address with PrivateVPN, you need to connect to the VPN’s Japan server.
Here’s how to achieve that:
- Subscribe to PrivateVPN to obtain login details.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s). I’ll use a Windows PC for this example.
- Launch the VPN app and click “Log In.”
- Enter the login details (Email and Password) from Step 1 to sign in.
- Click “Advanced View“
- Go to “Connection Guard,” then enable the Kill Switch button to secure your IP from leaking if the VPN disconnects abruptly.
- Click “Simple view.”
- Click “Change.”
- Type “Japan” on the VPN search bar.
- Double-click the prompted server location to connect.
- Conduct an IP leak test to confirm if you’re assigned a Japanese IP address.
- Congratulations! Use your Japanese PrivateVPN assigned IP address to access TV Tokyo, TV Asahi, and Nippon TV and secure your Mitsubishi, Mizuho, and Concordia online bank transactions.
What's the Best PrivateVPN Server for Streaming and Torrenting in Japan?
The best PrivateVPN streaming and torrenting server in Japan will vary based on your internet speed, location, and specific torrenting or streaming service.
For instance, streaming Netflix JP, Hulu JP, or your preferred local Japan content requires PrivateVPN’s Japan server.
Also, you can use the PrivateVPN Japan server for a fast torrenting experience without alerting uro Hikari, NTT Docomo, au Hikari, or your preferred Japan ISP and copyright trolls.
Conversely, to stream international content in Japan, like BBC iPlayer in the UK, connect to a PrivateVPN server where the target content is available.
For example, I enjoyed streaming the NCIS series on Paramount Plus over PrivateVPN’s USA-New York server.
What's the Best PrivateVPN Protocol in Japan?
OpenVPN is the best PrivateVPN protocol in Japan.
However, the OpenVPN protocol has UDP and TCP modes.
The UDP mode was my best choice, with a good balance of speed and security in streaming “Bucket List of the Dead” on Netflix JP and playing Valorant with my peers.
IKEv2 is also a worthwhile PrivateVPN protocol for mobile users in Japan.
I was impressed with its quick reconnection capabilities while switching from Tokyo train station free WiFi to McDonald’s free WiFi.
But don’t take my word for it!
I tested the PrivateVPN protocols on a 30 Mbps base speed over a similar Japan server across all protocols. Unsurprisingly, OpenVPN (UDP) came first, while other protocols fared as tabled below.
|Protocol||Speed Drop Over 30 Mbps Connection|
|OpenVPN (UDP)||1.5 Mbps|
|OpenVPN (TCP)||9.67 Mbps|
Does PrivateVPN Offer Dedicated IPs in Japan?
PrivateVPN offers dedicated IPs in Japan, which provide added security and easy access to Fuji TV, Nippon TV, and Tokyo TV. Plus, PrivateVPN dedicated IPs are free.
But there’s a caveat!
PrivateVPN’s dedicated IPs change in every connection, so you’ll never get the same IP twice.
However, if that doesn’t bother you, here’s how to connect:
- Sign up to PrivateVPN (Use discounts).
- Launch the VPN app on your device and log in.
- Click “Change.”
- Click “Dedicated IP.”
- Scroll to locate Japan, or type “Japan” on the VPN search bar.
- Double-click the prompted results to connect.
- Test for IP/DNS leaks using www.ipleak.net.
- That’s it! Enjoy your Japanese PrivateVPN dedicated IP to securely access Rakuten Bank, Japan Post Bank, and Shinsei Bank.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
PrivateVPN offers static and dynamic port forwarding in Japan.
The static port forwarding you get over PrivateVPN regular server is more stable and reliable but has security risks. Meanwhile, you get dynamic port forwarding over PrivateVPN’s Japan-dedicated IPs.
Secure Your Internet Freedom in Japan With PrivateVPN!
PrivateVPN works effectively in Japan. The VPN will help to bypass Nuro Hikari and Soft bank speed throttling and access Nippon TV, Netflix JP, and Abema TV over its Japan servers. PrivateVPN also boasts 200+ servers in 63 countries to unblock Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, NRK, or other international content channels.
Even better, PrivateVPN allows ten simultaneous connections.
Therefore, you can cost-effectively share one account with friends and family in Japan.
So, grab my PrivateVPN fantastic deals to save BIG and try the VPN for 30 days risk-free in Japan!