Whether creating a proper product roadmap or making accurate sales forecasts, big data analytics are at the core of many successful business decisions and operations.
To better understand the impact of big data on individuals and businesses, we wrangled the most intriguing big data statistics, reviewing key trends to keep you relevant and afloat in 2023 and beyond.
Top 7 Big Data Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- The big data market will grow by 13.4% from 2022 – 2029.
- In 2021, the United States accounted for 51% of global spending on big data and analytics solutions.
- The Big Data analytics industry will be worth $650 billion by 2029.
- In 2021, women’s salaries in the big data sector were significantly lower than men’s.
- The Global Analytics as a Service (AaaS) market is expected to reach $59 billion by 2027.
- In 2022, the US had 2,701 data centers, the highest in the world.
- 78% of large organizations with 10,000+ employees used Big Data in 2021.
General Big Data Statistics
1. The big data market will grow by 13.4% from 2022 - 2029.
The worldwide big data market will increase at a CAGR of 13.4% from $271.83 billion in 2022 to around $655 billion by 2029.
2. 3.5 quintillion bytes of data are created daily.
As of 2023, humans generate 3.5 quintillion bytes of data daily when searching, posting, or browsing the web.
3. Career opportunities in data science will increase by 28% by 2026.
That equates to 11.5 million new employment opportunities!
4. Hadoop will hit $842.25 billion in market value by 2030.
Hadoop, an open-source framework for storing and processing large datasets, is estimated to witness a market value growth from $33 billion in 2021 to $842.25 billion by 2030.
5. The big data analytics industry will be worth $650 billion by 2029.
The market was worth $240 billion in 2021 and is projected to grow considerably over the next few years to around $650 billion in 2029.
6. The ratio of unique data to replicated data is expected to be 1:10 in 2024.
From 2020 to 2024, the ratio of unique data to duplicated data is predicted to decrease gradually from 1:9 to 1:10.
7. The Global Analytics as a Service (AaaS) market is expected to reach $59 billion by 2027.
Prominent players in the market include HPE, Google, IBM, and AWS.
8. The market for mobile BI is predicted to hit $55.5 million in 2030.
This will be a considerable rise from $10 million in 2021. Yet these numbers represent just a tiny portion of the business intelligence (BI) industry, predicted to grow from $35.2 billion to $224.2 billion between 2020 and 2028.
Big Data Statistics by Country
9. In 2022, the US had 2,701 data centers, the highest in the world.
Germany followed at 487; the United Kingdom came in third with 456.
The top 10 countries by data centers worldwide in 2022 are shown in the table below.
10. In 2021, the United States accounted for 51% of global spending on big data and analytics solutions.
In 2021, American corporations spent $110 billion on the technology.
China and Japan followed, spending $11.9 billion and $12.4 billion, respectively.
Big Data Statistics by Industry/Market Valuation
11. Healthcare big data analytics revenue could hit $79.23 billion by 2028.
The market generated around $20.12 billion in 2021 and is expected to have an annual growth rate of roughly 28.9% between 2022-2028 to reach $79.23 billion.
12. By 2027, the worldwide value of big data in supply chain management might exceed $15 billion.
In 2021, the worldwide supply chain analytics market was worth $5.8 billion and was anticipated to hit $15.6 billion by 2027, with a CAGR of 17.93% from 2021 to 2027.
13. The banking industry's Big Data analytics market will hit $28 billion by 2031.
Global big data analytics in the financial sector was valued at $4.93 billion in 2021.
It is expected to increase at a CAGR of 19.4% from 2022 to 2031, reaching $28.11 billion by 2031.
14. The Big data software market was worth $162.6 billion in 2021.
The market is estimated to hit $314.1 billion by 2027, growing at an 11.4% CAGR between 2022 and 2027.
15. Big Data and AI professionals earned an average salary of $146,000 annually in 2021.
Likewise, compensation growth in the industry has slowed to an average of 2.25% each year.
California had the highest average pay ($176,000), followed by Massachusetts and New York. 34% of respondents mentioned earning $100,000 and $150,000 annually, while the second most popular group (26%) earned $150,000 – $200,000.
16. By 2027, the worldwide value of Big Data in supply chain management (SCM) might exceed $7.1 billion.
The 2022 forecast also shows that the big data in the business intelligence apps section could exceed $54 billion at the end of the projection period.
17. In 2021, women's salaries in the big data sector were significantly lower than men's.
On average, women got paid $126,000 per year, around 84% of the $150,000 paid to men. Likewise, women with doctorate’s or master’s degrees earned 82% of similarly-educated men’s compensations.
The gap was smaller on the first-degree scale, where women with bachelor’s earned 86%-87% of the average salary for men in the same educational class.
Big Data Statistics by Integration/Adoption
18. Many managers and business owners are finding it hard to run data-driven establishments.
Approximately 60% say they are driving innovation with Big Data in 2023, the same percentage as in 2019.
19. 46% of businesses used big data analytics as a research method in 2021.
Likewise, global firms using big data analytics in market research grew significantly from 2014 to 2021.
Big Data Statistics by Unstructured Volume of Data
Microsoft-based solutions were the most used, followed by IT-based solutions, shared drives, and NAS repositories.
Big Data Statistics by Cloud Computing and Big Data Centers Statistics
21. The colocation data center market could hit $128 billion by 2030.
The world market for Data Center Colocation, projected at US$48.6 billion in 2022, is expected to expand to $128.5 billion by 2030. Thus, rising at a CAGR of 12.9% between 2022 and 2030.
Big Data Statistics by Use Case
22. Most businesses use big data analytics to solve problems and achieve their objectives.
According to a 2022 survey, 64% of firms were confident big data and analytics would give their organization the most competitive edge in 2023.
23. 78% of organizations with 10,000+ employees used Big Data in 2021.
In general, only 50.1% of all businesses used Big Data in 2021.
Across company sizes of all the surveyed companies, 43% of mid-size companies with 100+ employees and 48% of big firms with 1,000+ employees had adopted big data technology.
Expected Big Data Trends/Projections
24. By 2025, 70% of businesses will switch from big to small data.
This is mainly because most companies do not have enough data to qualify as big data, even though they keep millions to billions of records.
Although the modern business environment poses various challenges, companies can use big data insights to forecast market conditions accurately, explore lucrative business opportunities, provide better customer services/experiences, and enhance efficiency.
But data is not just generated by itself, and connected devices and software drive the latest data market explosion. So, check out our IoT and SaaS statistics for a more holistic approach to big data today.
- Big Data Analytics Market Size, Trends | Growth Statistics, 2029 (fortunebusinessinsights.com)
- Global big data industry market size 2011-2027 | Statista