Reddit grew massively in the past few years to millions of engaged users who create trends, make memes, and share unique takes on current events.
But where is the platform heading, what’s its revenue, and are there predictions for its future?
Here are the interesting facts, statistics, and trends that define Reddit currently and will continue to do so in the future.
Top 8 Reddit Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- Reddit had 50 million daily active users as of Q4 2022.
- In 2021, 18% of all US adults used Reddit.
- Reddit complied with 96% of content removal requests from the UK government in 2021.
- 7% of US adults said they got their news from Reddit.
- Over 37% of Reddit users aged 16-64 used it for fun and entertainment.
- About 5.7 billion pieces of content were created on Reddit in 2021.
- As of January 2023, r/Announcements is the most followed sub-Reddit.
- There were over 24 billion upvotes on Reddit in 2022.
General Reddit Statistics
1. Users were more likely to follow and research brands on Reddit than on Snapchat.
30.7% of active Reddit users were on the platform to follow their favorite brands and research new products. In contrast, only 23.2% of Snapchat users were in the same category. Reddit is also ahead of LinkedIn (26.9%), according to this Q4 2022 research.
2. Reddit had 50 million daily active users as of Q4 2022.
This represents just 0.6% of the world’s population and a slightly bigger 0.8% of the world’s population aged 13 or older.
3. 297 million pieces of content were removed from Reddit in 2021.
Over 90% of these were removed for spam or content manipulation.
The other 8% were removed for violating the platform’s policies.
4. Governments requested Reddit take down content over 290 times in 2021.
The UK led the list with 52 content requests, followed by India with 50 content requests and Australia with 47 content removal requests. Surprisingly, the USA barely made the top five with 29 content requests in that period.
5. Reddit had over 700 global employees in 2021.
It planned to double the number (to 1400) in the years after that, especially since it just completed a funding round.
6. The most upvoted Reddit content had over 451,000 upvotes.
The post, captioned “Times Square right now,” was made in 2021.
Conversely, EA holds the unwanted record of the most downvoted content, with over 667,000 downvotes.
Reddit Demography Statistics
7. Reddit had more male users than female users in 2022.
The platform’s male users almost doubled (62.1%) the female user base (37.9%) in October 2022. Other sources reported a bigger gap in December 2022, showing that men now held a 71.79% user base on the platform.
8. The USA accounted for almost 50% of all Reddit traffic in 2022.
As of December 2022, the USA accounted for 47.96% of all Reddit traffic.
The UK came second with a far-off 7.09%, while Canada rounded up the top three with a 6.93% traffic share.
9. Reddit’s biggest user base was 25 – 34-year-olds.
Over 32% of surveyed 25–34-year-olds were active Reddit users.
The next active age range was the 18–24-year-olds, accounting for 28.91% of all Reddit usage. The 35–44-year-olds rounded up the top three with 17.47% of Reddit’s user base in December 2022.
10. In 2021, 18% of all US adults used Reddit.
Breaking it down by gender, 23% of all US adult males and 12% of all US adult females used Reddit in 2021.
17% of adults from each group could be found on the social media network in 2021.
Only 12% of US adult women could be found on the platform in the reporting timeframe. In contrast, 80% were on YouTube, 77% were using Facebook, and another 46% loved Pinterest.
13. Social media users aged 65+ were the least likely to use Reddit.
2021 research shows that only 3% of this group was on Reddit.
Whereas 50% were on Facebook, and 49% accessed YouTube frequently.
14. Higher-income earners were more likely to use Reddit than lower-income earners.
26% of households earning $75,000+ used Reddit in 2021. That’s compared to 20% of households earning $50-$75k and 17% pulling in $30-50k in the same timeframe.
15. 21% of suburban dwellers used Reddit in 2021.
That’s ahead of users in urban centers (18%) and rural areas (10%) in the same reporting timeframe.
16. In 2021, most Reddit users were highly educated.
26% of Reddit users hold higher than a college degree. About 20% have gone to some college, and only 9% are in high school or yet to progress past that stage.
17. Black users have surpassed Hispanics on Reddit.
In 2019, Reddit boasted 14% of Hispanic users and only 4% of Black users.
Fast forward to 2021, and the Black user base has grown to 17%, while Hispanics remain at 14%.
18. Reddit complied with 96% of content removal requests from the UK government in 2021.
That’s lower than the 100% compliance rate for the 47 content removal requests issued to the platform by the Australian government in the same period.
In third place is India, enjoying a 92% content removal request compliance from Reddit in 2021.
The social media platform received such requests from 27 countries but only honored six. These mainly were part of the 14 Eyes alliance with the US, Reddit’s headquarters.
20. Reddit remains banned in four countries as of 2023.
These are China, Indonesia, Turkey, and North Korea.
21. Redditors are over 2x as likely to access the platform with a mobile phone than a desktop device.
Q1 2022 data shows that 2.69 billion Redditors accessed the platform with a mobile device, compared to 1.12 billion desktop users in the same timeframe.
22. The USA accounts for almost 50% of all desktop traffic to Reddit.
Data collected over six months ending in May 2022 shows that 47.13% of Reddit’s desktop traffic comes from the USA. The United Kingdom is second with 7.48% of the platform’s desktop traffic. With a close 7.36% share, Canada takes third.
Reddit Usage Statistics
Reddit had 430 million users as of October 2022, sandwiched between Quora in last place (300 million) and Pinterest (433 million) to take 16th place.
The market leaders remained Facebook, YouTube, and WhatsApp.
Less than 0.1% of active social media users aged 16-64 would consider it their favorite platform. In contrast, the October 2022 research shows that WhatsApp is a favorite to 16.1% of active social media users, followed by Facebook (14.6%) and Instagram (14.5%) in a landslide win for Meta.
25. Only 4% of journalists used Reddit the most (or second most) in their jobs.
This 2021 study revealed that 69% of journalists preferred Twitter for their jobs. Another 52% use Facebook as the main social media or the second option for their job.
26. 7% of US adults said they got their news from Reddit.
This made it the fifth on a 2021 list, including Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter in the top three.
|Social Media Platform||% of US adults using it for news|
27. Over 37% of Reddit users aged 16-64 used it for fun and entertainment.
The Q4 2022 research also shows that 34% of users kept up with the news on Reddit, while another 30.7% used it for brand and product research.
28. Reddit wasn’t in the top 10 mobile apps by monthly active users or total usage time.
The September 2022 list was dominated by Meta’s assets (Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp) and Google’s assets (Google, Google Chrome, Gmail, and Google Play Store).
29. About 5.7 billion pieces of content were created on Reddit in 2021.
This is compared to 3.3 billion content in 2020 and a relatively smaller 2.7 billion in 2019. The 400+ million user base drives these.
30. As of January 2023, r/Announcements is the most followed sub-Reddit.
This subreddit clinches the top spot with 192 million subscribers. It is followed by r/Funny with 46.4 million subscribers and r/AskReddit with 39.2 million subscribers.
31. Reddit recorded over 13 billion cumulative posts and comments in 2021.
The January 2021 data shows that the platforms enjoyed over 21 billion monthly screen views.
Reddit Revenue Statistics
32. Reddit made $100 million from ads in Q2 2021 alone.
That represents a year-on-year increase of 192% compared to Q2 2020.
33. Reddit will bring over $520 million in ad revenue in 2023.
The platform made $439.1 million in ad revenue in 2021, up from $176.7 tallied in 2020. With a projected ad revenue of $423 million for 2022, the 2023 projections are plausible.
34. Reddit was sold for over $10 million just one year after it launched.
Built in 2005 by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian while still in college, they exited for a tidy sum in 2006. However, the platform now brings in over 30x that in yearly ad revenue alone.
35. The average Reddit user contributed $0.51 of its revenue in 2021.
The number was lower at $0.18 per user in 2018, showing a 180% bump since then.
36. Reddit made $17 million from its premium subscribers in 2021.
Only about 344,000 of its 1.1 billion users pay for the premium tier at an average of $49 per user.
37. Reddit was valued at $10 billion as of August 2021.
It was valued at $6 billion six months before but gained an extra $4 billion valuation after a funding round.
38. Fidelity Management invested $700 million in Reddit in August 2021.
This represents the largest amount it has raised in funding since its inception.
Reddit Traffic & Engagement Statistics
39. Only 0.1% of Reddit users were unique to the platform.
WhatsApp had the most unique users as of October 2022, accounting for 1.3%.
It was followed by YouTube (0.9%) and Facebook (0.6%) users who were exclusive to those social media platforms.
October 2022 data shows that 81.4% of Reddit users were also on Instagram.
In second place was Facebook, sharing 80.6% of users with the platform.
Then, YouTube rounded up the top three with 78% of shared users.
In October 2022, 51.7% of Reddit users were also on Telegram and LinkedIn.
This represented the least shared users across multi-platforms compared to other players in the space.
Bloggers should know that Reddit only drives 0.8% of referral traffic to websites via links published on the social media platform. An October 2022 report shows that it loses out massively to Facebook (driving 71.64% traffic instead), Twitter (9.02%), and Instagram (7.51%) in the top three.
43. As of December 2022, the average user spent less than 10 minutes on a Reddit visit.
The platform recorded 1.8 billion visits as of that reporting time, averaging 9 minutes and 3 seconds per visit.
44. Reddit gets most of its users via direct traffic.
In December 2022, the social media platform got 52.45% of its traffic from the app or people entering its website URL in browsers. Its popularity run is reinforced, with search (45.17%) being the second largest platform traffic source.
In third place were other social media networks, accounting for 1.11% of all traffic driven to the platform.
Of the 1.11% of traffic it gets from other social media networks, YouTube accounted for 51.10%. Twitter was next with 19.01%, while Facebook rounded up the top three (11.71%).
46. 1.7 billion monthly users were visiting Reddit in 2021.
As of May 2022, the platform had 300 million users, shy of hitting the 2 billion monthly visitors mark.
47. Reddit had more than 2.8 million sub-Reddits in 2021.
By November 2022, the social media service had also garnered over 2.5 billion lifetime comments.
48. There were over 24 billion upvotes on Reddit in 2022.
Other Important Reddit Statistics
49. Reddit users added about 50,000 new sub-Reddits every month in 2022.
50. The Reddit widget is found on only 1.1% of all websites.
January 2023 data also shows that the social media platform has a social widget market share of 4.8%. Twitter led this market with a 60% social media widget market share.
Hope You Read It All?
Reddit might not be as known as the other social media platforms, but it is a vital service to capture different markets. To do so would be to understand what makes it tick, the present user demographics, and how to leverage the platform best.
Hopefully, you found what you need for your business, startup, or other research purposes in the breakdown of Reddit facts, statistics, and trends above.