Belgium is on top of its internet freedoms for the most part.
You won’t struggle to access your favorite websites or apps.
But Belgium isn’t perfect, and thanks to the Belgian Anti-Piracy Federation (BAF), the one area it lags in is torrenting.
Luckily, a VPN can help you torrent safely in Belgium – including unblocking all the torrent sites targeted by the BAF.
And to save you the trouble of finding the most reliable VPN for Belgium, I dived headfirst into testing the hundreds of VPNs out there.
My results brought me to NordVPN.
Not only is NordVPN P2P friendly – but it also boasts 5,200+ servers with 60+ in Belgium.
This means you can access geo-blocked content in or out of the country!
Top 3 VPNs for Belgium
ExpressVPN starts strong by offering 3000+ P2P-friendly, RAM-only servers. But what earns its spot on this list is its ability to unblock all the popular streaming services (like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu) – while simultaneously offering access to Belgium TV shows regardless of location, thanks to its server options in Belgium.
NordVPN is a P2P-friendly VPN boasting 5,300+ RAM-only servers (60+ in Belgium), effectively making it our number one choice for the best VPN in Belgium. Best of all, thanks to those 60+ Belgium servers, NordVPN also unblocks Belgium content from overseas – plus streaming platforms!
With lightning-fast speeds on all of its 3,200+ RAM-only servers, Surfshark is another excellent choice for a trustworthy VPN in Belgium. Surfshark is also P2P friendly and unblocks a myriad of streaming services. Plus, it offers server options in Belgium – so you can watch your favorite TV shows while overseas!
While Belgium is overall privacy-friendly, it’s also anti-torrenting.
This means you need a VPN that supports P2P file sharing.
And if you want to access streaming services like Netflix or BBC iPlayer – or watch your favorite Belgium shows while overseas – you also need a VPN that unblocks geo-locked content (with servers in Belgium).
If you’re not up for finding the most reliable VPN for Belgium yourself, take a browse through this article instead!
I discuss my top five choices and why they made my list.
No Time to Waste? Check Out My Top 5 Picks Right Here, Right Now
Do you want the answers without all the nitty-gritty details?
Here are my top five picks right here, right now:
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Belgium
- ExpressVPN – Runner-up for Streaming
- Surfshark – Fast Server Speeds
- Private Internet Access – Best for Belgium Servers
- Mullvad – Anonymous Torrenting
But if you have the time, I recommend reading through this article to get the complete picture (and, yes, the nitty-gritty details)!
NordVPN earns first place on my list, thanks to its simultaneous ability to offer a safe environment for torrenting and unblock content in and out of Belgium. And with 5,300+ RAM-only servers worldwide (60+ of them in Belgium), NordVPN also delivers lightning-fast speeds without compromising privacy or security!
Detailed List of the 5 Best VPNs for Belgium
Are you ready to find your perfect VPN for Belgium?
Here are my top five picks:
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for Belgium
NordVPN dominates the list as a P2P-friendly VPN with excellent torrent and streaming speeds.
When using NordVPN to bypass the Belgian Anti-Piracy Federation’s torrent blockade, you have two options.
The easiest way is to connect to one of the P2P-optimized servers from inside the app.
But if you want to get even better speeds while torrenting with NordVPN, you can set up a NordVPN SOCKS5 Proxy in qBitTorrent!
NordVPN also makes streaming overseas shows from Belgium – and Belgian shows from elsewhere – easy as pie, thanks to its SmartPlay feature.
SmartPlay is unique to other VPN setups on this list because it’s built into all of NordVPN’s apps by default.
You don’t have to push a button or fiddle with the settings!
Just pick your preferred location and connect – and SmartPlay is automatically applied!
This means almost all of NordVPN’s 5,300+ RAM-only servers (including 60+ in Belgium) are already optimized for unblocking Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and just about every other streaming platform under the sun.
Of course, this includes Belgian TV networks like AB3 and Tipik.
That huge server network also helps NordVPN to consistently deliver blazing fast speeds.
But you can give it an extra boost by using NordLynx, the provider’s proprietary VPN protocol that’s built for speed and security alike.
Speed without NordVPN:
Speed with NordVPN:
Even better, NordVPN won’t break the bank.
While it is a premium VPN service, its subscription fees are fair and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee:
But you can save EVEN MORE by signing up with this link!
2. ExpressVPN – Runner-up for Streaming
You’ll often see ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN comparisons – and for a good reason.
These industry giants are neck-to-neck in many ways!
It’s a close call for speed, but I often find ExpressVPN is around 5.8% faster than NordVPN.
And with all 3,000+ servers (including one in Belgium) already optimized for streaming, this speed advantage makes ExpressVPN the best streaming VPN for Belgium (it even beats my top pick).
In other words: you’ll have no trouble unblocking Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and dozens of other streaming platforms!
And thanks to its server options in Belgium, this includes accessing Belgium TV networks (like Sporza) from overseas!
Better yet, ExpressVPN’s proprietary Lightway protocol doesn’t just help keep your VPN speeds blazing fast.
According to the provider, 90% of its beta-testers could connect to an ExpressVPN server noticeably quicker, too.
This makes it the ideal protocol to use for torrenting.
This is especially promising, as I’ve never had issues torrenting with ExpressVPN in general.
So while ExpressVPN isn’t the best torrenting option on this list, it’s undoubtedly one of the best.
Another neat feature torrenters will appreciate is the Speed Test.
Whether you’re using Windows or Mac, this nifty feature helps find the fastest server before connecting.
Speed without ExpressVPN:
Speed with ExpressVPN:
You can also use the Smart Location button to let ExpressVPN automatically connect you to the best-performing server.
But for torrenters in Belgium, the Speed Test is a better option, as it lets you choose from the server list.
And while ExpressVPN is the most expensive option on this list, it does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee:
You can also unlock MASSIVE SAVINGS thanks to our discount deal!
3. Surfshark – Fast Server Speeds
Surfshark might be a younger provider than NordVPN and ExpressVPN, but it’s giving the giants a run for their money!
One of the most noticeable ways Surfshark significantly progressed is with its breakneck server speeds.
Just a few months ago, NordVPN was much faster – but that’s no longer the case.
In fact, I often find Surfshark is faster than even ExpressVPN!
Speed without Surfshark:
Speed with Surfshark:
What’s impressive is the provider doesn’t rely on any proprietary protocols to achieve these blazing fast speeds.
Instead, it focuses on optimizing all 3,200+ servers (including those in Belgium).
This means Surfshark’s entire server network is RAM-only (a privacy-minded upgrade the provider made before ExpressVPN and NordVPN) and includes Private DNS.
But you can still give those speeds an extra boost by using CleanWeb.
Compared to NordVPN’s CyberSec, CleanWeb is a far superior ad – and malware-blocking feature built into all of Surfshark’s apps!
These built-in speed optimizations, plus the fact all of Surfshark’s servers are P2P-optimized, make it one of the best VPNs on this list for streaming and torrenting in Belgium.
However, due to Surfshark not allowing P2P uploads on its servers, it doesn’t quite reach the title of the most reliable VPN for torrenting.
Back to the positives, though – no matter what streaming platform you want to unblock, Surfshark has you covered.
(Yes, this includes accessing your favorite Belgium TV shows from overseas, like Tomorrow Is Ours via rtbf!)
Best of all, as one of the top three VPN services, Surfshark is also the most affordable – while still offering a 30-day money-back guarantee and unlimited simultaneous connections on all its subscription plans:
But you can save EVEN MORE with our discount deal today!
4. Private Internet Access – Best for Belgium Servers
Private Internet Access (PIA) makes a worthy addition to my list thanks to its massive server network of 30,800+ servers in 78 countries – including 160+ in Belgium!
This throws the provider a mile ahead of the competition, including NordVPN with its 60+ Belgium servers.
A massive server network is excellent for many reasons, the most obvious being speed.
PIA claims to have “15 million satisfied customers worldwide.”
So having such a huge server network helps keep everyone spread out a little better, which goes a long way in minimizing the risk of server overload.
And PIA definitely has some great speeds, depending on which servers you’re connecting to.
If you’re sitting in Belgium and connecting to one of PIA’s 160+ Belgian servers, you can expect minimal speed loss.
Speed without PIA:
Speed with PIA:
It’s when you start choosing servers in other countries – either to unblock streaming platforms or torrent – that PIA starts to slide.
Compared to NordVPN, the further you are from PIA’s server, the more dramatic the speed reduction.
Speaking of streaming, PIA’s a mixed bag.
It can still unblock services like Hulu (with some trial and error) and BBC iPlayer.
But PIA still struggles to unblock Netflix.
With even more trial and error (trying different servers until you find one that works), it’s still possible for now.
Fortunately, thanks to its 160+ Belgium servers, PIA is amazing at unblocking Belgium TV networks like Club RTL.
PIA also performs markedly better at torrenting – another must-have for Belgium torrenters looking to avoid the BAF.
All of its servers are P2P-friendly (I find Netherlands and Switzerland servers work best), and you can even use the SOCKS5 proxy to give your speed a boost.
Plus, PIA supports port-forwarding on many servers!
This feature sets the provider ahead of others on my list, too, as the only other providers offering port forwarding are ExpressVPN (with its router setup) and Mullvad.
Overall, PIA offers a decent VPN service at affordable rates with a 30-day money-back guarantee:
But if you’re tight on budget, you can save EVEN MORE when you sign up with this link!
5. Mullvad – Anonymous Torrenting
Mullvad is one of my favorite VPNs for privacy and torrenting – mainly because it makes it easy to be as close to truly anonymous as possible!
Let’s start with anonymity because this is where Mullvad stands head, shoulders, and even torso above all other VPN providers on my list.
First, you don’t need an email address, phone number, or even a username to sign up.
All you need to do is generate an anonymous account number!
(This is incredibly tempting for Belgium users who are big on torrenting – but I’ll get to that in a minute!)
When it’s time to pay for your subscription, Mullvad lets you pay with cash or your choice of the Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash cryptocurrencies.
While cash payments aren’t eligible for Mullvad’s 30-day money-back guarantee (to protect against money laundering), crypto payments are.
One downside to Mullvad compared to the other VPNs on my list is its only option for customer support is via email.
Still, you can use an anonymous, encrypted email service with a fake name to keep your personally identifiable information at an absolute minimum.
Another downside is that Mullvad cannot unblock streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu, though the provider has ten servers in Belgium.
But thanks to its extreme anonymity, Mullvad is the best VPN on my list for torrenting in Belgium.
Not just because of all the privacy layers, but because all 770+ servers are optimized for torrents!
This guarantees you’re safe from the BAF!
And, as mentioned in PIA’s mini-review, Mullvad allows port-forwarding with few restrictions.
The only blocked ports are spam prevention (port 25) and protecting you against Windows vulnerabilities (ports 137, 138, 139, and 445).
You can even boost Mullvad’s already incredible speeds (they’re only slightly slower than NordVPN) while torrenting by using the SOCKS5 or Shadowsocks proxy.
Or, if you prefer to stick with VPN protocols, WireGuard is also available.
Speed without Mullvad:
Speed with Mullvad:
Mullvad is no slouch when it comes to security, either.
In fact, providers like NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN often adopt security features that Mullvad pioneers.
And unlike the three industry giants, Mullvad is entirely open-source!
Ready for one more shock?
Mullvad doesn’t do pricing tiers.
Instead, you pay the same monthly rates no matter what – and the affordable subscription fees have stayed the same since 2009!
But remember – you get a 10% discount when paying with cryptocurrency, which is also covered by Mullvad’s 30-day money-back guarantee!
Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Belgium VPN
While I’m confident the five recommendations above are the best VPNs for Belgium, here’s how to see which VPNs, in general, are suitable!
What to Look for in a VPN for Belgium? Grab Your Checklist!
When considering any VPN for Belgium, always look for the following things:
- Privacy & Security – despite Belgium being mostly privacy-friendly, don’t rely on that always being the case – especially if you want to safely bypass the BAF’s anti-torrent policies! Your VPN should include a strict no-logs policy (ideally proven through independent audits), the best protocols (OpenVPN and WireGuard, or proprietary protocols based on the latter – like NordLynx and Lightway), 256-bit AES encryption, and a kill switch. RAM-only servers are also a plus. And for top-tier privacy and security, look out for anonymous payment methods and use an anonymous, encrypted email service instead of your real email when signing up.
- P2P Support – there’s no point in using a VPN to bypass the BAF’s anti-torrent blocks if it doesn’t support P2P file-sharing! You not only need a privacy-friendly and secure VPN but one with P2P support – either on all of its servers (ideal) or through clearly marked P2P-optimized servers.
- Unblocks Websites – P2P support alone isn’t enough for torrenting in Belgium, as popular torrent sites like The Pirate Bay are actively blocked. Your VPN needs to unblock these and all other websites and online services, including Belgian sites that block connections from outside the country.
- Works for Streaming – one of the most obvious ways to tell if a VPN can unblock websites in Belgium is if it works with streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. These two (along with Hulu) tend to have the best anti-VPN systems, so if you can use your VPN to unblock them in Belgium, it’s almost guaranteed it’ll unblock everything else too.
- Speed – while using a VPN usually makes your connection slower, the best VPNs will consistently deliver near-perfect speeds with a barely noticeable difference! This helps ensure your stream won’t be buffering, and the only thing affecting your torrent speeds is the number of seeding peers. If your VPN includes speed-optimizing options like WireGuard (or proprietary forks), proxy connections, and ad-blocking, even better.
- Lots of Servers – the more servers, the better, as a large server network helps avoid the risk of server overload, slowing your connection down even further. It also gives you more options when choosing a server location and makes it harder for streaming services to identify and block the VPN’s server IP addresses.
- Belgian Servers – again, the more, the better! Having Belgian servers means you can protect your online privacy while in the country. After all, the closer you are to the VPN server, the faster your connection! And, of course, if you’re a Belgian traveling abroad, VPN servers in Belgium will help you keep up with your favorite local shows.
- Reasonable Pricing – you know how much money you can afford (and are willing) to spend on a VPN subscription better than I do. But be wary of chasing cheap options (if it seems too good to be true, it likely is). In the same breath, pay careful attention to the features and capabilities of the VPN, as many overpriced providers are looking to lull you into a false sense of security by charging premium prices for a substandard service.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Belgium?
Although there are some great free VPNs out there, they’re rare – and I don’t recommend using them in Belgium (or anywhere else).
The vast majority of free VPNs fall into one of four categories:
- Completely fake (and full of malware)
- Severely limited features and/or substandard/poorly implemented features
- Sells your personal information
- Any combination (or all three) of the above
Even those ultra-rare free VPNs that are pretty great will have limited features available – sometimes generously, but usually rather severely.
The only reason I consider using them for emergency cases is that they’re freemium VPNs, meaning it’s the limited free version of a premium VPN.
If you’re stuck with no other choice than to use a free VPN, stick to ProtonVPN’s free version.
You won’t be able to stream or torrent, and your speed will be medium at best, but there aren’t any bandwidth caps at least.
However, I strongly recommend upgrading to a premium VPN service ASAP – or, better yet, skip the free and go straight to premium.
Don’t forget you can unlock a MASSIVE discount on NordVPN by signing up with this link!
How Are Belgium's Data Privacy Laws?
Belgium is a very privacy-friendly country in general, scoring high on all fronts regarding data privacy, both online and offline.
But the same cannot be said when it comes to torrenting.
The Belgian Anti-Piracy Foundation (BAF) successfully prompted an Antwerp Court of Appeals order for Telenet and Belgacom (Belgian’s major local ISPs) to block access to The Pirate Bay.
BAF followed up by sending other Internet Service Providers a letter threatening legal action if they didn’t “voluntarily” do the same.
This means you won’t be able to access The Pirate Bay in Belgium, no matter what ISP you’re using.
And you can bet that trying to use any alternatives (including mirror-links) will yield the same results.
How to Torrent Safely in Belgium?
While vpnAlert doesn’t encourage P2P file sharing to download or distribute copyright materials illegally, there are many legal uses for torrents.
To protect yourself from potentially overzealous law enforcement, please follow these steps to torrent safely in Belgium:
- Choose one of my recommended VPNs for Belgium above (or use the Buying Guide above to find one) and purchase a subscription.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s).
- Sign in to your user account after opening the app.
- Connect to a P2P-friendly server (or use the Connect button if all servers are P2P-optimized) – servers in the Netherlands, Switzerland, or Belgium usually work best for torrenting in Belgium.
- Do an IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks test in your browser.
- Open your preferred torrent client and enjoy torrenting safely in Belgium!
How to Use a VPN to Stream Geo-Blocked Content in Belgium?
If you’re visiting Belgium and want to keep up with your favorite Netflix US shows or you’re a resident wanting to enjoy the content that isn’t available in Belgium, using a VPN to stream geo-blocked content in Belgium is the best way to do so:
- Choose a VPN that’s known to unblock streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer and purchase a subscription.
- Download the VPN app onto your device(s) and install it.
- Open the app and sign in.
- Connect to a streaming-optimized server in the location you want to access.
- Open your browser to do IP, DNS, and WebRTC leak tests.
- Visit your favorite streaming site, log in, and enjoy unlimited streaming!
Unblock Belgium Content on Netflix – No VPN Necessary
What if your VPN doesn’t work with Netflix (like PIA or Mullvad) – or you want to unlock Belgium content on Netflix without any speed loss from using a VPN?
One option is to use a service like SmartDNS Proxy.
But it only unblocks Netflix US – not any other region.
In fact, the only Belgian video (and music) streaming services that safe, reliable proxies like SmartDNS can unblock are VRT, VIJF, ZES TV, and Stievie.
Another option, courtesy of the Reddit user pictured below, is to double-check that your language settings aren’t set to another language (like Dutch).
Here’s how to find out:
- Log into Netflix and select your profile.
- Navigate to your “Account” settings.
- Under “Profile & Parental Control,” select your profile name. You’ll find “Language.”
- If it’s not set to English, change it to English.
How to Get a Belgian IP to Access Your Bank From Abroad?
If you need to access your bank from abroad while traveling as a Belgium resident, here’s how:
- Choose a VPN that has Belgian servers – here’s a quick look at how many Belgium servers each of my recommended VPNs have:
|VPN Provider||Servers in Belgium?||Number of Servers|
|Private Internet Access||Yes||160+|
- Download the VPN app onto your device(s) and install it.
- Sign in to your account.
- Connect to a Belgium server by opening the Server List and scrolling through it (or use the search function if available).
- Do an IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks test in your browser.
- Visit your bank’s website and log into your account!
Watching Belgian TV From Abroad
Accessing your bank account isn’t the only thing a VPN for Belgium can help you do while traveling overseas.
You can also use a VPN to watch Belgian TV from abroad!
- Choose a VPN that can unblock Belgian TV (like VRT and GoPlay) and purchase a subscription.
- Download and install the VPN app onto your device(s).
- Sign in to your account after launching the app.
- Connect to a streaming-optimized server in Belgium (ideally, all Belgian servers will work).
- Open your browser to do IP, DNS, and WebRTC leak tests.
- Visit your favorite Belgian TV streaming platform and enjoy your favorite shows from abroad!
Are VPNs Legal in Belgium?
VPNs are legal in Belgium.
But remember, using a VPN for illegal or banned activities (whether by international or local law) does not protect you from the legal consequences if you’re caught.
What is the Fastest VPN for Belgium?
No VPN can honestly claim to be the fastest VPN for Belgium, as many factors affect individual users’ VPN speeds.
However, providers like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and Surfshark consistently deliver the fastest speeds with the help of speed-optimizing tools and features.
What is the Cheapest VPN for Belgium?
The cheapest, safe-to-use VPN for Belgium is Surfshark, with a two-year subscription.
If you prefer to pay monthly, then Mullvad is the most affordable.
However, Mullvad does not work for unblocking streaming services.
Even with favorable online privacy laws, Belgium doesn’t have free internet.
Most notably, torrent sites like The Pirate Bay are blocked, while streaming services continue to impose geo-blocks that limit users to content within their region.
Luckily, you can bypass these issues and take your online privacy into your own hands by using a reliable VPN.
I find NordVPN is the best VPN for Belgium.
No matter the content you want to unblock, NordVPN does all the heavy lifting for you while keeping your data private and secure – all without sacrificing internet speed!
So whether you’re just a visitor or you’re a Belgian resident, sign up for NordVPN with this link to get an exclusive discount and secure your digital life today.
Protect private web traffic from snooping, interference, and censorship. All plans are covered by a no-hassle 100% money-back guarantee for your first 30 days of service.