You can play FFXIV with ExpressVPN – I do it all the time! It doesn’t matter what platform you play on, either, since ExpressVPN has setups for Windows, Mac, and PlayStation.
So, whether you’re trying to lower your ping on a faraway DC or stabilize your connection on unstable WiFi, ExpressVPN delivers.
But I’ll explain everything in this guide, so let’s jump in!
What Makes ExpressVPN Good for Playing FF14?
ExpressVPN is my go-to VPN for playing Final Fantasy 14.
- It decreases lag and lowers ping on data centers (DCs) outside your region, so you can participate in FATE trains without a stuttering connection or create an alt to attend your overseas friend’s wedding!
- It has lightning-fast speeds and gave me a mere 4.11 Mbps drop in my speed tests. Such speeds are a godsend when using GShade presets to take pictures of house designs without lag.
- There are 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, so you’ll never struggle to find a server in or near your preferred DC.
- A split tunneling feature allows you to use ExpressVPN with FFXIV while still accessing local content. I use this feature to listen to a Slovak online radio station while gaming!
- ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, and routers – the last of which is perfect for PlayStation gamers. Otherwise, there’s a SmartDNS feature (MediaStreamer) for NA DC players who want a US IP to decrease lag and ping.
- ExpressVPN includes must-have security features like 256-bit AES encryption, automatically obfuscated VPN servers, and a kill switch, so your account is safe if you play FF14 on public WiFi.
- Although FFXIV isn’t known for DDoS attacks on players, ExpressVPN offers DDoS protection – so you’re protected just in case.
Are you convinced? Then let’s discover how to set up ExpressVPN with A Realm Reborn (Endwalker, etc.)!
How to Play FFXIV With ExpressVPN?
How you play FFXIV with ExpressVPN depends on your gaming platform.
Windows and Mac gamers can use the ExpressVPN app. However, PlayStation gamers are more limited, requiring either a supported ExpressVPN router, virtual router, or an account on an NA DC to use ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS feature without lag.
I’ll discuss every setup below, so keep reading for step-by-step instructions.
How to Play FFXIV Final Fantasy With ExpressVPN on PC? (Windows & Mac)
Here’s how to play FF14 with ExpressVPN on a PC using Windows 10 as my example.
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN if you haven’t yet.
- Download the ExpressVPN app for Windows or Mac.
- Open the app after the installation completes.
- Click the three lines in the app’s upper-left corner and select “Options.”
- Under the General tab, checkmark the first box under “Network Lock.” This enables the kill switch.
- Under the Protocol tab, select “Lightway – UDP.” This protocol offers a perfect balance of security and speed for FFXIV.
- Click “OK.”
- Next, click the three dots to the right of the selected server.
- In the search bar, type in the country covered by your DC. Reportedly, NA DCs are in California, EU DCs are in Germany, and JP servers are (obviously) in Japan. I chose a nearby country in Europe – Czechia – for balance.
- Double-click the server to connect to it.
- Open the FFXIV launcher and launch the game!
How to Play FFXIV With ExpressVPN on PlayStation? (SmartDNS)
This method is only useful for Final Fantasy players on NA data centers – otherwise, you’re guaranteed to lag worse than your normal connection.
This is because MediaStreamer (SmartDNS) only supports US DNS addresses.
So, if you’re on Primal, Aether, or Crystal, follow these instructions.
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Log in to your ExpressVPN account (via the website).
- On the “Dashboard” tab, locate “Set up your devices” and select “…More.”
- On the new page, select “PlayStation.”
- Jot down the DNS address it shows you.
- On your PlayStation, navigate to Settings and then Network.
- Select “Set Up Internet Connection” and choose WiFi or LAN.
- Choose “Custom.”
- Select your network and enter your password.
- Choose “Automatic” for IP Address Settings and “Do Not Use” for DHCP Settings.
- Choose “Manual” for DNS Settings.
- Under “Primary DNS,” type the DNS address from step 5. Leave the Secondary DNS blank.
- Hit Next, choose Automatic for “MTU Settings” and “Do Not Use” for Proxy Settings.
- Test your internet connection.
- Open FFXIV on your PlayStation!
How to Play FFXIV With ExpressVPN on PlayStation? (ExpressVPN Router)
Setting up an ExpressVPN router to play FF14 is more complicated than the above methods. Luckily, it’s still easy with a little guidance. Follow these steps.
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Use these ExpressVPN instructions to set up the ExpressVPN app on your router.
- After installation is complete, select “…” on the device group your PlayStation is assigned to.
- Use the search bar to find a server in or near your account’s data center.
- NA DC = California
- EU DC = Germany
- JP DC = Japan
- Double-click to connect to it.
- Turn on your PlayStation, connect to the ExpressVPN router, and launch FF14!
How to Play FFXIV With ExpressVPN on PlayStation? (Virtual Router)
Playing FFXIV with ExpressVPN on PlayStation using a virtual router is the most complex method – but I’ll walk you through it in the steps below.
However, you’ll need a PC or laptop.
I’ll use Windows 10 in my example.
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Install ExpressVPN on your PC/laptop but don’t connect to a server.
- Open “Network & Internet” on your PC and select “Mobile hotspot.”
- Turn on “Share my Internet connection with other devices.”
- Click “Edit” to change the network name and password.
- Under “Related settings,” select “Change adapter options.”
- Note the “Local Area Connection” that shows the green connected bar.
- Right-click “ExpressVPN TAP Adapter” and select “Properties.”
- In the “Sharing” tab, checkmark the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- Under “Home networking connection:,” select the Local Area Connection from step 7.
- Click “OK.”
- Open the ExpressVPN app.
- Follow steps 4-10 above – under the FF14 PC setup.
- On your PlayStation, navigate to Network settings and connect to your new virtual router.
- Open FFXIV and enjoy!
You can now enjoy complete coverage from ExpressVPN while playing FF14!
Enjoy your Duty Roulettes without lag.
Will ExpressVPN Slow FFXIV?
ExpressVPN can slow FFXIV if you’re connected to a VPN server far from your data center. However, if you connect to a server in or near your DC, ExpressVPN can increase your FFXIV speeds while lowering ping and minimizing (or eliminating) lag.
ExpressVPN is an excellent VPN service for FFXIV – I’ve been using it to play the MMORPG for years now! Not convinced yet? Check our Best VPNs for FFXIV article!
Thus, if you want to minimize ping and lag while playing on distant DCs or stabilize your connection on your home DC, ExpressVPN is worth the purchase.
So, try it today and grab these HUGE discounts to save tons on your ExpressVPN subscription!