You can disable a Virtual Private Network on Windows 10 in different ways.
Some notable methods include using the Control Panel or through the Settings App.
You can also disable it by disconnecting directly from the VPN.
If your VPN connection is causing issues, you’re in the right place.
This is a quick guide on how to disable a VPN on your Windows computer.
So read on to find out more.
Guide to Disabling VPN on Windows PC
Disabling a VPN on Windows 10 is quick work that shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. There are countless ways to go about this, but the following are the easiest methods.
Disable VPN From the Windows Control Panel
If you’re not using a VPN anymore and want to disable it, follow the steps below.
- Open the Windows search bar and type View network connections.
- Tap once on any active VPN from the list. You’ll see options on the top bar.
- Tap on Disable this network device. This will remove the VPN from the list of active device connections. That means the VPN has been disabled.
Disable VPN From the Windows Settings App
Another way of disabling the VPN is through the Settings method.
Here’s a quick guide on how to do it:
- First, open up the Settings app by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the cog icon. From here, click on Network & Internet.
- Now, click on the VPN tab. This will bring up all of your VPN connections.
- To disable a particular VPN connection. Click on it and then toggle off the Connect automatically switch.
- You can also remove all the connections by closing them from the taskbar.
Disable VPN From the VPN App Directly on Windows
If you’re using NordVPN on Windows 10, for instance, and want to disable it, there are a few different ways you can do so.
One way is to disconnect from the VPN by clicking on the NordVPN icon in your taskbar and clicking Disconnect.
Another way is to go into your NordVPN settings and disable the Auto-Connect feature. Click on the NordVPN icon in your taskbar, select Settings, and then toggle the Auto-Connect switch to Off.
Why Disabling a VPN Is Necessary at Times?
There are several reasons why you may need to disable your VPN at times.
Here are some of the most common ones:
- Your VPN Is Slowing Your Network Connections. If your VPN is slowing your internet connection, disable it so that you can enjoy faster speeds. This is especially true if you’re using a free VPN server with slower speeds than paid ones.
- You Need to Troubleshoot a Connection Issue. You may have trouble connecting to a specific website or service. Disabling your VPN client may help you identify the problem. Once you’ve determined the cause of the issue, you can re-enable your VPN and continue using it as usual.
- You Want to Save Battery Life. If you’re using a laptop or mobile device, disabling your VPN can help conserve battery life. VPN connections can use up a lot of power, especially if they’re constantly running in the background.
- Some VPNs Store Data Logs. While most VPNs claim to not store any logs of your activity, some do. So if you’re concerned about your privacy, it may be best to disable your VPN when you’re not using it.
- Jurisdiction Laws May Force VPNs to Give Away Your Information. In some countries, laws may force VPN providers to give up information about their users. So if you’re worried about your privacy in a particular country, it’s best to disable your VPN while you’re there.
- Some Sites Block VPNs. Some websites and services block users using a VPN. This includes payment platforms like PayPal, which is known to ban accounts that use VPNs for transactions. So if you’re trying to access a site-blocking VPNs, you’ll need to disable your VPN first.
If you’re using a Windows computer, you can turn off the VPN by going to the Network and Sharing Center and clicking on Change adapter settings.
Find the VPN connection that you want to disable and right-click on it.
From the menu that appears, select Properties and then uncheck the box next to “Enable this connection”. Click OK to save your changes.
If you’re looking to turn off your VPN permanently, there are a few steps you can take.
First, make sure that all applications that rely on VPN are closed. Next, go into your system settings and remove any references to VPN.
Finally, delete any files or shortcuts associated with VPN from your computer. With these steps taken, your VPN should be permanently turned off.
Disabling a VPN on Windows 10 isn’t hard. You may need it to protect your home network. But when it starts interfering with how your machine functions, you’ll have to disable it a bit.
Follow the steps outlined above to achieve that.
For more information on VPNs and how they work, check out our website.