You can unblock NRK TV outside Norway fast and reliably with a VPN.
Other methods to watch NRK programs outside Norway include using a proxy service or Smart DNS servers.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to unblock NRK TV access from abroad since it provides Norway IP addresses and fast speeds to watch your Norwegian TV content in 4K!
However, you may prefer alternative methods for their slightly better speeds and device compatibility.
So, continue reading to learn the different methods to watch Norway state TV abroad.
4 Methods to Unblock NRK TV From Abroad (Outside Norway)
You can use a reliable Virtual Private Network (VPN), subscribe to a proxy service, log in with a Norwegian user’s ID, or get smart DNS to stream your NRK TV from abroad.
Let’s discuss how each method works and compare its strengths and shortcomings.
1. Use a VPN – Easiest & Fastest Method
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) give you access to geo-restricted content like Norway TV by providing servers in the region where they’re available.
We need a reliable VPN with Norway servers to unblock NRK TV in this case.
Here’s a stepwise guide to watching NRK TV channels with a VPN service from abroad:
- Choose a reliable VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for NRK TV on PC and mobile.
- Click the three horizontal dots to open locations and search for Norway.
- Double-click on the country to connect.
- Wait for the connection confirmation.
- Launch your browser in Incognito Mode (or the app for mobile).
- Go to the NRK TV website.
- Stream any content you want without blocks.
However, not all VPN service providers work here. So, check out my selection criteria to pick the best VPN to watch Norwegian TV channels online below.
How to Choose the Best VPN to Watch NRK TV From Abroad?
The best VPN services for NRK TV should have Norwegian servers, fast protocols, speed optimizations, and reliable encryption to prevent NRK’s servers from finding out you’re not in the country.
I summarized everything you need in the best Norway TV VPN below.
- Norwegian server locations. Since NRK TV is only available in Norway, you need a Norwegian IP address so the streaming service’s servers think you’re in the supported region.
- Speed. Get a VPN that doesn’t cause a massive connection drop to access Norway state TV streams fast. That’s why I recommend ExpressVPN for up to 4K-quality streams!
- Unlimited bandwidth. Ensure your chosen VPN doesn’t throttle your bandwidth. Otherwise, you get lags after streaming for a while.
- Fast obfuscation. Obfuscation allows you to bypass VPN traffic blocks, which some users reported on Norway online TV channels. Since obfuscation drops connection speeds, you need a provider with fast obfuscation.
- Reliable encryption. Your data must be appropriately encrypted and tunneled to make Norwegian online TV’s servers believe you’re in Norway. Otherwise, the content remains unavailable.
- Mobile and PC support. That way, you can stream NRK on your PC or via its mobile apps. On top of that, ensure the mobile and PC VPN apps are user-friendly.
- Reliable customer support. Choose a VPN with 24/7 support to help you troubleshoot any streaming issues.
- Money-back guarantee. That way, you can test the VPN risk-free and get your money back if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
3 Best VPNs for Streaming NRK TV Outside Norway
ExpressVPN – Fastest Obfuscation to Stream NRK TV in 4K Without Detection
ExpressVPN earns a place on this list for its Norway server location, which is the first requirement for unblocking Norwegian TV channels abroad.
However, it’s the first on the list for its fast obfuscation speeds to stream NRK without lag. This is important because:
- NRK sometimes blocks VPN access to its platform.
- Obfuscation helps you disguise VPN traffic so NRK TV can’t block it.
- Obfuscation is usually slow, but ExpressVPN makes it fast.
In fact, you can sometimes get better than your base ISP speeds with ExpressVPN’s obfuscation. So, you’ll also be bypassing ISP throttling while enjoying Norway TV in up to 4K quality.
In comparison, NordVPN and Surfshark suffer noticeable speed drops once you enable obfuscation.
Also, ExpressVPN offers obfuscation on all servers and protocols. Thus, you don’t have to enable specific settings as you would with NordVPN and Surfshark.
Moreover, ExpressVPN employs AES 256-bit encryption on its Norway servers and all protocols to prevent NRK from detecting that you’re outside the country.
A Network Lock kill switch also prevents IP leaks to NRK’s servers if the VPN connection randomly drops.
Furthermore, you enjoy stellar mobile and PC support with ExpressVPN’s easy-to-use apps. You can also stream NRK TV from five devices simultaneously under one ExpressVPN subscription, providing a better value.
Likewise, you can bank on its 24/7 customer support to troubleshoot any streaming/other VPN connection issues.
However, ExpressVPN is the most expensive VPN provider listed.
Considering its reliable unblocking, fast obfuscation speeds, and streaming quality, though, it’s worth the price.
Luckily, these ExpressVPN discounts help you save more and throw in a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
NordVPN – Good Value VPN to Stream NRK TV in HD
NordVPN also provides a P2P-supported server in Norway.
However, it doesn’t have any obfuscated servers in Norway yet.
So, if NRK is blocking VPN traffic to its network, you can’t hide your NordVPN activity to get access.
Even if NordVPN had an obfuscated Norway server, it wouldn’t be as fast as ExpressVPN. Furthermore, you can only use obfuscation over its OpenVPN (TCP) protocol.
Speaking of protocols, NordVPN impresses with its exclusive NordLynx protocol to stream Norwegian TV channels faster without sacrificing security.
Surfshark doesn’t have an in-house protocol, but ExpressVPN matches that offering with its ultra-fast Lightway protocol.
NordVPN also uses AES 256-bit encryption, offers robust mobile and PC support, and doesn’t throttle your bandwidth.
Despite this reliable encryption, NordVPN is still plenty fast. So, you can stream NRK TV in HD without letting the streaming platform’s servers know you’re not in Norway.
Additionally, NordVPN provides two kill switches to prevent IP/DNS leaks.
In fact, it’s the only provider here to include an application kill switch with the standard internet kill switch.
I’ve always found NordVPN’s 24/7 live chat support helpful, fast, and responsive. Thus, you won’t be stranded with an NRK streaming issue or other problems you might encounter with the VPN.
It’s also one of the most affordable VPN providers.
Despite that, these NordVPN discounts give you better value and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark – Budget VPN to Stream NRK on Unlimited Devices
Surfshark is the best bet for budget buyers looking for a trustworthy VPN to watch NRK online with decent speeds.
You won’t get anywhere near the speeds of ExpressVPN here, but you’ll get HD quality on NRK state TV over Surfshark. However, Surfshark’s obfuscation also causes a noticeable speed drop that makes that feature unsuitable for streaming.
So, again, you’ll have to choose ExpressVPN to bypass any VPN traffic blocks set by NRK without losing streaming speed and quality.
Surfshark does better than NordVPN since it provides an obfuscated Norway server. Even so, they both rely on OpenVPN for obfuscation, unlike ExpressVPN.
Moving on, Surfshark is in the league of ExpressVPN and NordVPN with the industry-standard AES 256-bit encryption.
It also offers a kill switch against IP and DNS leaks. Like ExpressVPN and NordVPN, this kill switch setting can only be toggled on PC/Android.
At the same time, it’s automatically built into the iOS system.
The most significant selling point for Surfshark is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections across PCs and mobile devices.
And, like the others, it doesn’t throttle your bandwidth.
Back that up with a reliable 24/7 live chat customer support always at your request, and it’s a no-brainer why this VPN provider is on the list.
Thankfully, Surfshark is affordable despite its stellar offerings.
Still, enjoy these HUGE discounts and get a 30-day risk-free period to try the VPN.
What to Do When Your VPN Isn’t Unblocking NRK TV Outside Norway?
Your VPN may not be unblocking NRK access with the wrong protocol, server location, incorrectly set up kill switch, or other reasons.
Following the troubleshooting guide below (in no particular order) to fix the issue:
- Choose a reliable VPN. A poor VPN lacks the infrastructure to reliably unblock content streams. When unsure, choose ExpressVPN.
- Choose the proper protocol. The best protocol for streaming is WireGuard, or its alternatives (like NordLynx and Lightway). Sometimes, you may need obfuscation, where ExpressVPN’s Lightway also has an advantage.
- Switch servers. If your VPN lists multiple Norway servers, disconnect and choose another. Otherwise, simply disconnect and reconnect to get another Norway server.
- Use the VPN app instead of an extension. VPN browser extensions usually work as proxies and may not encrypt your traffic well enough to unblock content. So, switch to the app instead.
- Update the VPN app. Your VPN app may contain software bugs that keep it from working correctly. Look for an update, download, and install it if available.
- Test for leaks. Use a service like ipleak.net to test that your device isn’t leaking IP requests outside the Norway server. In that case, reconnect to the VPN and enable the kill switch.
- Enable the kill switch. Otherwise, you’ll leak your actual IP address and DNS details to Norwegian TV channels’s servers if the VPN connection randomly drops.
- Restart the VPN app. Depending on your computer’s configuration and how long the VPN app has been on, this might be an issue. A simple restart of the app sometimes fixes problems.
- Switch to Incognito Mode. Cookies and other site data could make your browser leak your real IP address to NRK. Instead, use Incognito Mode to remove cache interference.
- Clear app/device cache. Do this for browsers to remove cookies and cached data interfering with the unblocking process.
- Switch browsers. I recommend Google Chrome for streaming Norway online TV content.
- Speak with customer support. Customer support agents will help you navigate the issue if all else fails. Thankfully, my top VPNs have 24/7 customer support.
2. Use a Smart DNS Service
Smart DNS is great for streaming NRK content on platforms like PlayStation and smart TVs that can’t install a native VPN app. Likewise, you can set up smart DNS to stream NRK on mobile and PC devices that can otherwise install a VPN.
- Choose a reliable SmartDNS service with Norway servers.
- Register your account and request a smart DNS.
- Locate your device’s network settings.
- Replace your DNS details with the Smart DNS details.
- Restart your device.
- Stream NRK channels.
However, you should know that Smart DNS services:
- Don’t bypass circumvention tools blocks.
- Won’t encrypt your traffic (so NRK can still see your IP address).
- Are more technical to set up compared to VPNs.
Likewise, my top VPN providers offer a smart DNS service as part of their base package, so you don’t have to pay extra. Thus, you get ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer, Smart DNS from NordVPN, and Surfshark’s Smart DNS service for your devices that can’t take a VPN app.
3. Use Proxy Servers
Proxy servers can route your internet traffic through chosen locations like Norway, giving you access to local content like Norwegian TV channels.
Likewise, they promise faster speeds since they don’t encrypt your traffic, leaving it vulnerable to throttling and NRK TV blocks.
Here’s how to use proxy servers:
- Sign up with a proxy server provider OR lookup free proxies.
- Search for a Norway proxy address.
- Setup your device/browser with the new proxy address. Find out how to do this in the short video below.
- Launch Incognito/Private browsing mode.
- Stream NRK TV.
Proxy servers may be faster due to a lack of encryption, but they don’t offer much speed advantage over VPNs. In fact, I don’t recommend them for the following reasons:
- Unreliable for unblocking Norway online TV channels once the platform starts restricting geo-circumvention tools.
- Exposing your IP address due to a lack of encryption.
- Most free proxy servers are bulk-blacklisted already.
- Susceptibility to ISP throttling when streaming since your activity isn’t hidden.
- Some proxy servers may open your computer to malware, hacks, and attacks.
- Technical setup process.
In contrast, a VPN is almost a plug-and-play tool that doesn’t have you scouring the web for working proxies, tweaking sensitive device settings, or exposing your traffic.
4. Use a Friend’s Login ID
You can watch NRK TV from outside Norway if you log in with a friend’s account ID, as long as they have a physical address in Norway.
Even though you can watch NRK without signing up for an account, the service allows you to sign up to take advantage of:
- Continuing your shows on other devices, starting from where you left off.
- Getting unique recommendations based on what you’ve watched in the past.
- Watching Norwegian TV channels outside Norway.
Here’s how to do that:
- Reach out to a friend in Norway.
- Get their NRK TV account ID, or have them create one.
- Login with the ID.
- Stream content live.
Can I Stream NRK TV Outside Norway With a Free VPN App?
Most free VPNs only provide a handful of server locations, usually not including Norway, making them unsuitable for streaming NRK outside Norway.
Likewise, they lack robust encryption to tunnel your data securely and prevent the Norwegian TV service from detecting you’re not in the country.
Additionally, free VPNs don’t offer obfuscation, are slow, and are highly unreliable.
So, you can’t escape NRK TV VPN traffic blocks, suffer lagging streams and resort to a hit-and-miss trial approach to stream your favorite content.
Fortunately, you can share an ExpressVPN subscription with four other users who also want to watch NRK TV abroad. With fast obfuscation on all servers and protocols, you get the best speeds for streaming NRK, unblocking other content in Norway, and bypassing geo-restriction anywhere else.
What Channels Can You Watch on NRK TV?
NRK TV is nicely sectioned into channels like NRK 1, NRK 2, and Super.
The streaming service also includes a variety of radio streaming stations such as NRK P1, NRK P2, and NRK Jazz.
The table below gives an overview of the popular TV and radio channels on NRK and what they’re best for.
|NRK 1||TV||News and sports|
|NRK 2||TV||Entertainment and lifestyle|
|NRK 3||TV||Lifestyle and sports|
|NRK Super||TV||Kids and movies|
|NRK P13||Radio||Rock and indie music|
|NRK Jazz||Radio||Jazz music|
|NRK Super||Radio||For children|
|NRK Sports||Radio||24/7 sports|
What Devices Can You Stream NRK Content On?
You can watch NRK TV shows on mobile devices, PCs, select gaming consoles, and streaming devices. Likewise, you can unblock access on these devices from abroad by getting a native VPN app or using your provider’s add-on smart DNS service.
Here’s a summary of devices you can stream NRK TV on and how best to unblock access from abroad.
|Platform||Devices||How to unblock NRK?|
|Mobile||iOS, iPadOS, and Android||VPN|
|PC||Mac, Windows, Linux, and Chromebook||VPN|
|Streaming services||Apple TV, Chromecast||Smart DNS|
|Smart TVs||Samsung TV, Sony TV, LG TV, Panasonic TV, Philips TV, Android TV||VPN and Smart DNS|
|Gaming consoles||PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4||Smart DNS|
How to Sign Up for NRK TV Outside Norway?
Signing up for NRK TV allows you to get personalized suggestions based on the content you watch, pick up where you left off on other devices, and watch Norwegian state TV content outside the country.
However, you’ll need to register and confirm a valid Norway residential address to get the last option of watching outside the country. Fortunately, you can get around that with a VPN. For now, here’s how to create an account from abroad.
- Go to the official NRK TV website.
- Translate the page to “English” or your preferred language.
- Click “Sign in” from the top menu.
- Select “Sign in” again.
- Enter your email address in the provided box. Hit “Next.”
- Enter a password. Hit “Next.”
- On the Terms page, scroll to the bottom and click “Accept terms.”
- Fill in your name (pick a username instead) and birth year. Click “Next.”
- You now have an account
You don't need to connect to a remote VPN server to access the site and create an account.
However, suppose the site is blocked in your region. In that case, I recommend connecting to the Norway server location via ExpressVPN to unblock access.
Frequently Asked Questions
NRK TV is a free, Norwegian-based platform that doesn’t require any subscription or even a sign-in to stream its content. While the service tried mobile ads some time ago, it doesn’t rely on ad-based revenue but collaborates with brands for non-intrusive sponsorships.
Connect to a Norway server location from a quality VPN like ExpressVPN to watch Norwegian TV in the USA. ExpressVPN’s fast obfuscation on all servers and protocols avoids VPN traffic blocks to these online TV channels in Norway while unblocking fast content streams in 4K quality.
ExpressVPN is the best PC VPN to stream Norway online TV outside Norway, thanks to its ultra-fast, obfuscated Norway servers.
ExpressVPN also uses AES 256-bit encryption to prevent IP leaks to the NRK servers, ensuring your access to the platform isn’t blocked.
You can also stream NRK TV on five devices connected to ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN’s robust mobile support and obfuscation on its fast Norway servers make it the ideal VPN to stream NRK TV on Android and iOS devices.
The VPN’s easy-to-use app makes connecting to Norway a breeze and encrypts your IP address to unblock the service via the VPN-assigned IP.
Also, ExpressVPN maintains its ultra-fast obfuscation on mobile devices, effectively bypassing any VPN traffic blocks by NRK without losing streaming speed.
Start Streaming NRK TV Abroad
You have the luxury of options between VPNs, Smart DNS services, and proxy servers to stream NRK outside Norway. However, a VPN is the best balance for speed, reliable encryption, and a dedicated Norway server to stream Norwegian TV content.
Fortunately, providers like ExpressVPN give you better value with its MediaStreamer Smart DNS service included in the base subscription.
Don’t forget to grab these ExpressVPN discounts and enjoy a 30-day risk-free guarantee to try the VPN.