Yes, you can use NordVPN with DirecTV. The VPN unblocks the streaming service reliably and offers fast US servers, allowing you to watch DirecTV in HD.
NordVPN is also compatible with all DirecTV platforms –from iOS to Android, Roku, Samsung TV, and Amazon Firestick.
So, in this guide, I’ll show you how to use NordVPN with DirecTV on diverse streaming devices.
Watch DirecTV With NordVPN in 5 Quick Steps!
Follow the general steps below to unblock DirecTV Stream with NordVPN outside the US:
- Sign up for NordVPN.
- Download and install the NordVPN app on your device.
- Open the app and log in.
- Connect to a NordVPN server located in the US.
- Launch DirecTV and start streaming.
How to Watch DirecTV With NordVPN? (Step-By-Step Guide)
DirecTV is available on multiple devices, some of which don’t work with NordVPN directly.
Unblocking the service on Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and web browser is straightforward because the VPN provider has native apps for the devices.
But you need a few extra steps to stream DirecTV on Chromecast, Roku, and Samsung TV.
Follow the steps below to unblock DirecTV streams on your preferred devices.
Watch DirecTV With the NordVPN App
You can quickly unblock DirecTV with the NordVPN app on PC, Macbook, iPhone, iPad, Amazon Firestick, and Android smartphones.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Sign up for NordVPN.
- Download and install the NordVPN VPN app on your device.
- Open the VPN app and sign in with your NordVPN account username and password.
- Go to the VPN server list and connect to a server located in the US.
- Launch the DirecTV app and watch your favorite American TV channels live from anywhere.
Unblock DirecTV Via NordVPN SmartDNS
In addition to the VPN service, NordVPN also offers a free SmartDNS service to stream DirecTV on Apple TV, Samsung TV, and other streaming devices that don’t support VPNs..
While not as secure as a VPN, the NordVPN SmartDNS is faster and better for streaming, especially if you have low bandwidth.
Here is how to watch DirecTV Stream using NordVPN SmartDNS:
- In the SmartDNS section, click “Enable.”
- When prompted, click “Activate SmartDNS.” This will whitelist your IP address, allowing you to use Smart on compatible devices connected to your WiFi network.
- Navigate to the DNS settings on your DirecTV streaming device.
- Select “Enter Manually” and type the NordVPN SmartDNS server address. Press OK.
- Open the DirecTV app on your Apple TV or Samsung TV and enjoy!
Unblock DirecTV With NordVPN via PC Mobile Hotspot
Trying to unblock DirecTV on Roku or Chromecast? In this case, you can’t use the NordVPN app or SmartDNS.
That’s because the streaming devices lack built-in VPN functionality and don’t allow you to configure your DNS settings manually.
But there’s a workaround – you can set up NordVPN on your PC and share the VPN-enabled connection to your streaming device.
Here are the steps you should follow:
- Download and install NordVPN on your PC.
- Launch the VPN app and connect to a US server.
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and enable “Share my internet connection with other devices.”
- On the same window, click “Change adapter settings.”
- Right-click on the TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter and select Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab, and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Click “Select a private network connection” and select the mobile hotspot you created earlier. You can find its name in the Network Connections window under the Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter. In our case, it’s Local Area Connection* 10.
- Click OK.
You’ve successfully set up a NordVPN-enabled mobile hotspot.
Connect your streaming device to the WiFi network, open DirecTV, and start streaming!
Unblock DirecTV With NordVPN via Router
If you don’t have access to a PC, you can set up NordVPN on your router to stream DirecTV on Roku and Chromecast. You can also broadcast the US secure VPN network via NordVPN routers to your PCs and smartphones to unblock DirecTV.
The VPN service works with multiple router firmware and brands, offering setup guides for:
- ASUS Merlin
If your router isn’t listed here, you must install custom firmware to make it compatible with NordVPN. On that note, DD-WRT is the most widely used firmware and works with almost all router brands.
Here is how to install NordVPN on a DD-WRT router:
- Enter “192.168. 1.1” into your web browser’s address bar to access the admin panel.
- Go to Setup > Basic Setup, and under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP), set the following:
- Static DNS 1: 126.96.36.199
- Static DNS 2: 188.8.131.52
- Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Checked
- Use DNSMasq for DNS: Checked
- DHCP-Authoritative: Checked
- Go to Setup > IPv6 tab and select Disable to switch off IPv6 support to avoid IP potential IP leaks. Press “Save” and then “Apply Settings.”
- Go to Services > VPN, and under OpenVPN Client, set Start OpenVPN Client to Enable.
- Enter the following configurations and leave everything else with the default values.
|Port:||1194 (UDP) / 443 (TCP)|
|Tunnel Protocol||UDP / TCP|
|User Pass Authentication:||Enable|
- If the Username and Password fields are missing, go to Administration > Commands and enter the code below:
echo "YOURUSERNAME YOURPASSWORD" > /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf /usr/bin/killall openvpn /usr/sbin/openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --down-pre /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon
- In the Additional Config field, enter the command below:
remote-cert-tls server remote-random nobind tun-mtu 1500 tun-mtu-extra 32 mssfix 1450 persist-key persist-tun ping-timer-rem reneg-sec 0 #log /tmp/vpn.log #Delete `#` in the line below if your router doesn’t have credentials fields, and you followed the 3.1 step #auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
- Open the .ovpn configuration file you downloaded earlier and copy the text between the <ca> and </ca> tags.
- Paste its content into the CA Cert field.
- Go back to the configuration file and scroll down to the <tls-auth> section. Copy the contents of the TLS key and the text into the TLS Auth Key field.
- Click Save and then Apply Settings.
- Go to Status > OpenVPN and verify the Status reads “Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS.”
And that’s how to set up NordVPN on a DD-WRT router. You can now watch DirecTV on any compatible device connected to your WiFi network.
Why Is NordVPN Great for Streaming DirecTV?
NordVPN is an excellent VPN for DirecTV due to its compatibility, security, privacy, speeds and extra features. Here’s a breakdown of what makes the VPN service so compatible:
- It offers multiple American servers, allowing you to stream DirecTV when traveling abroad and access out-of-market local channels in the US.
- NordVPN has fast connections, so you can stream in HD. In my speed tests, the VPN only had a 10% connection drop when connecting from Europe. You should get even better speeds in the US, Canada, and Mexico.
- The VPN service allows 6 simultaneous connections, which you can share with family members streaming DirecTV anywhere.
- The VPN provider has user-friendly apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. It also supports SmartDNS, enabling you to unblock DirecTV directly on Apple TV and Samsung TV.
- On top of that, NordVPN supports many router models, allowing you to stream DirecTV on devices that don’t support VPNs and Smart DNS. Also, the VPN service lets you unblock the streaming service via Windows hotspot if you don’t have a physical router.
Unfortunately, you can’t share a NordVPN connection from Mac.
On the bright side, NordVPN is reasonably priced, and with our exclusive discount, you can get it at an even more attractive price.
Here are some of the key pros and cons of using NordVPN with DirecTV:
DirecTV Not Working With NordVPN? Troubleshooting Tips
If you’re having trouble unblocking DirecTV with NordVPN, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Switch VPN servers. While DirecTV can detect and ban some NordVPN IP addresses, it’s hard to blacklist all 1970+ NordVPN servers in the USA. So, switch to a different server and try again.
- Delete cache and cookies. The DirecTV website stores cache/cookies to help improve your viewing experience, but these cookies/cache can give away your actual location even when connected to NordVPN. So, clear them, or use Incognito/private browsing modes.
- Contact customer support. If you still can’t access DirecTV, I recommend contacting NordVPN customer support for help with your specific device. You can reach them via live chat or email.
What Devices Can I Watch DirecTV Stream On?
You can watch DirecTV Stream on most devices via a web browser or the native app.
Learn what devices you can watch DirecTV on, how to get the stream, and the best way to unblock DirecTV with NordVPN on these devices:
|Streaming Device||Streaming Option||How to Unblock DirecTV|
|Android||Browser; Android app||NordVPN App|
|iOS – iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch||Browser; iOS App||NordVPN App|
|Android TV||Browser; Android app||NordVPN|
|Amazon Fire TV||Browser; Android app||NordVPN App|
|Apple TV||DirecTV tvOS app||NordVPN SmartDNS, Router|
|Samsung Smart TV||DirecTV Tizen app||NordVPN SmartDNS, Router|
|Roku||DirecTV Roku app||NordVPN PC Hotspot, Router|
|Chromecast||Browser; Android App||NordVPN PC Hotspot, Router|
That’s how to use NordVPN with DirecTV!
Pretty straightforward, right? Whichever device you’re using, you should now be able to unblock the streaming service easily.
Just follow the steps above and enjoy your favorite live TV channels from anywhere.
Don’t forget to grab our time-limited NordVPN discount and save big on your subscription.