You can quickly set up and use PrivateVPN on Chromebook by downloading and installing the VPN app from the Google Play Store. This gives you system-wide protection and allows you to access geo-blocked content on any app.
Alternatively, you can use PrivateVPN via a third-party extension on your Google Chrome browser. However, this will only encrypt your browser traffic, leaving other apps unprotected.
Let’s look at each method and the best PrivateVPN settings for the different use cases.
2 Quick Methods to Set Up PrivateVPN on Chromebook
I’ve outlined the steps for the two best methods to set up PrivateVPN on Chromebook below. But before we dive in, let’s see how the two methods compare:
|Setup Method||Chrome OS App||Google Chrome Extension|
|Ease of Setup||Very Easy||Challenging|
|Security & Privacy||System-wide||Browser Only|
Method 1: Set Up PrivateVPN on Chromebook via the VPN App
This is the easiest and safest method of installing PrivateVPN on your Chromebook.
It’s also the only viable method if you’re looking to protect your entire online activities or unblock geo-restricted content on other apps, like Netflix and YouTube.
Here’s how to download, set up, and use PrivateVPN app on Chromebook:
- Get a PrivateVPN subscription. The provider has affordable plans, and with our sign-up deal, you can enjoy even better prices.
- Launch the Google Play Store app on your Chromebook and search for “PrivateVPN.”
- Click “Install” and wait for the app to download and install.
- Open the VPN app and log in with your PrivateVPN account email address and password.
- Navigate to Settings and choose a protocol. I recommend OpenVPN UDP.
- Double-check that the kill switch is enabled.
- Click the large ON/OFF to connect.
- Alternatively, click “Change” to access the server list to connect to a specific server location. PrivateVPN groups its standard servers under “All Servers” and has a separate section for “Dedicated IP” servers.
They enable you to connect to more peers and improve your download speeds.
- Go to IPLeak.net to check if your PrivateVPN connection is working correctly. In my case, the IP leak test showed the PrivateVPN-assigned IP address.
- That’s it! You can enjoy private browsing or unblock geo-restricted content, like Netflix US.
Method 2: Set Up PrivateVPN on Chromebook via Browser Extension
You can still use the VPN via a browser extension if you don’t want to install the PrivateVPN app on your Chromebook.
Unfortunately, PrivateVPN doesn’t have an official browser extension.
So the process is more complex and requires a third-party proxy extension.
I recommend the Proxy SwitchyOmega extension. Here are the steps to follow:
- Click “Add to Chrome” and “Add extension.”
- When prompted, click “Skip guide.”
- Select “Proxy” under “PROFILES” and enter the following:
- Protocol: HTTP
- Server: us-atl.pvdata.host (You can pick your preferred PrivateVPN server address here)
- Port: 8080
- Click the padlock icon next to the port field, enter the following to authenticate, and click Save Changes.
- Username: Your proxy username
- Password: Your VPN password
- Click “Apply changes” under “ACTIONS.”
- Click the SwitchyOmega extension and select the proxy you configured earlier to connect.
- The extension icon will change from black to pale blue when connected. You can also confirm if your PrivateVPN proxy connection is active by visiting IPLeak.net.
Why Is PrivateVPN Good for Chromebook?
PrivateVPN brings many features to Chromebook that can significantly improve your experience. These include:
Fast Connection Speeds
In my speed tests, PrivateVPN posted 86 Mbps on my 100 Mbps connection – a 14% impact. You only need a 6 Mbps connection to stream in HD with PrivateVPN and just 17 Mbps for 4K movies.
Decent Server Network + Reliable Geo-Unblocking
Robust & Customizable Security Features
PrivateVPN uses AES 128-bit-GCM as the default encryption.
This is safe against brute-force attacks and can keep you safe on public Wi-Fi without breaking a sweat.
Plus, it offers military-grade encryption AES 256-bit, bringing it on par with most premium VPNs. While both are secure, 128-bit encryption is faster, making PrivateVPN a good choice for streaming.
On top of that, you get an internet kill switch to prevent leaks and a Stealth VPN to bypass VPN blocks.
User-Friendly Chromebook App
Once you log in, you can connect with a single click. Its interface is also easy to navigate should you wish to configure the VPN before connecting.
Best PrivateVPN Alternatives for Chromebook
While PrivateVPN is a great option for Chromebook, it doesn’t offer a Chrome browser extension. Plus, the VPN app lacks split tunneling, making it impossible to encrypt your browser traffic selectively.
Luckily, a few PrivateVPN alternatives for Chromebook offer an official browser extension, split tunneling, and other standout features.
NordVPN is also faster and offers advanced security features like Double VPN, which PrivateVPN lacks.
I also tested the VPN with my streaming apps, including Netflix and Hulu, and it worked perfectly.
One drawback is that it’s more expensive than PrivateVPN.
You also get fewer simultaneous connections.
ExpressVPN is another excellent PrivateVPN alternative that offers faster speeds, better geo-unblocking, and a browser extension for Chrome.
It maintained up to 94% of my internet speed, allowing me to play Fortnite on my Chromebook without lags. This also makes it a better choice for streaming and torrenting.
But it’ll cost you a pretty penny. Its subscriptions are among the most expensive.
Luckily, with our sign-up deal, you can enjoy a huge discount.
If you’re looking for a pocket-friendly alternative, try Surfshark. It’s faster and offers a more extensive server network for unblocking content.
It’s also user-friendly and has a nice browser extension for Google Chrome.
Another standout Surfshark VPN feature is unlimited simultaneous connections.
This allows you to protect all your devices and even those of your friends and family.
PrivateVPN unblocks Netflix on Chromebook, allowing you to stream movies and TV shows that are currently unavailable in your location. To access Netflix UK from the US, connect to the PrivateVPN London or Manchester server and open the streaming app.
As you can see, setting up and using PrivateVPN on Chromebook is simple.
You can now connect to the internet safely and hide your browsing history from your ISP on your favorite Android device!
Ready to get started? Grab our exclusive PrivateVPN deal and enjoy a huge discount!