Slack has always been a popular collaborative communication tool used in the workplace due to its flexibility, numerous applications, and useful features.
However, the COVID-19 pandemic, workplace digitization, and remote working have elevated this popular app into stardom.
If you need evidence, look at these impressive Slack numbers.
This detailed article will break down current Slack statistics by region, demography, and other considerations.
Top 6 Slack Statistics (Editor’s Pick)
- The Slack App directory has over 2,400 apps as of March 2023.
- 91,000 customers used Slack Connect in Q1 2022 fiscal year.
- The majority of companies that use Slack are in the US.
- Slacks GAAP gross profit for Q1 2022 was $234.1 million.
- As of 14th March 2023, the Slack android app was ranked 92nd by traffic in the US.
- The Slack Android app had over 10 million downloads in March 2023.
General Slack Statistics
1. Slack started as a video gaming company tool.
Slack’s founder Stewart Butterfield created Slack in 2009 as an internal tool for Tiny Speck, his video gaming company, during the development of Glitch, an online game.
2. Slack has 416,704 customers as of March 2023.
This represents a 9.49% market share.
3. Salesforce acquired Slack Technologies. Inc on 21st July 2021.
The $27.7 billion merger aimed to actualize the Slack-first customer 360, a service connecting company employers, employees, customers, and partners on one platform.
4. In March 2023, G Suite was the top Slack competitor in the instant messaging and chat category.
This was followed by Zendesk, Zoho Mail, Intercom, and Tidio.
The table below summarizes the top Slack competitors by market share in the instant messaging and chat category.
|Slack Competitor||Domains||Market Share|
5. Most Slack website visitors in February 2023 were also interested in Programming & Developer Software.
Slack users were also interested in computers, electronics & technology, universities & colleges, news & media, and videos.
6. The Slack App directory has over 2,400 apps as of March 2023.
Popular apps on the directory include Twitter, Gmail, Google Drive, Jira Cloud, Giphy, Now Virtual Agent, Outlook Calendar, and HubSpot.
7. As of April 2021, Slack had over 975,000 daily active registered developers.
8. The top topic for Slack website users in February 2023 was news.
Other popular topics for Slack users included university, education, software, and online topics.
9. LinkedIn.com was the top Slack competitor by keyword traffic, market overlap, and audience targeting as of February 2023.
Twitter.com was the second strongest Slack competitor, followed by Instagram.com, t.co, Facebook.com, Reddit.com, Discord.com, and Messenger.com.
Slack Usage Statistics
10. Slack was ranked the most popular workplace instant messaging/chat tool in 2021.
In a 2021 survey across 183 countries and 47,000 respondents, 47% of respondents reported that Slack was their preferred workplace online chat tool.
32% of respondents preferred Microsoft Teams, and 14% preferred Skype.
11. Slack was the fourth most popular video conferencing/calling tool for global organizations in 2021.
According to 2021 survey data, 17% of 140,000 global respondents reported using Slack for conference/video calling in their organizations. Zoom was the most popular video conferencing app (44%), followed by Microsoft Teams (33%) and Google Meet (29%).
12. 91,000 customers used Slack Connect in Q1 2022 fiscal year.
That is compared to 74,000 in Q4 2021 financial year.
13. Slack.com received 108.5 million total visitors in February 2023.
This was a drop from the 114.1 million visitors received in December 2022.
Still, the site received an increase from 102.9 million visitors in November 2022.
Slack Traffic Statistics
14. The Slack website was ranked 373 globally in website traffic as of February 2023.
Marking an improvement from the 439th and 387th positions it held in December 2022 and January 2023.
Compared to the 17th position it held in December 2022.
16. As of February 2023, Slack was ranked 289th by traffic in the US.
That is compared to position 307 in January 2023 and 364 in December 2022.
17. As of February 2023, 669 domains sent referral traffic to the Slack website.
“Start a trial” was the top desktop referral domain responsible for 17.9% of Slack.com’s traffic.
18. Organic keywords were responsible for 96.47% of all keyword desktop traffic to the Slack website in February 2023.
That is compared to 3.53% of paid keywords.
19. In February 2023, 25 publishers sent desktop traffic to Slack.com.
The top publishers that sent desktop traffic to Slack.com included “ start a trial” (21.34%), “start a trial” (11.64%), “ufreegames.com” (11.64%), YouTube.com (11.64%), and the “knowledgeacademy.com” (4.76%).
In February 2023, LinkedIn accounted for 24.71% of Slack’s desktop social media traffic, followed by YouTube (18.66%), Facebook (15.96%), Twitter (14.82%), and Reddit (7.57%).
This was followed by faith & beliefs (4.13%), programming & developer software (1.31%), email (0.54%), and social media networks (0.22%).
22. Direct traffic was responsible for 94.19% of all desktop traffic to the Slack website in February 2023.
Organic search was second, accounting for 3.28% of Slack’s desktop traffic, followed by referrals (2.03%), email (0.19%), social media networks (0.17%), paid search (0.12%), and display advertising (0.01%).
23. As of February 2023, 19,300 keywords drove organic desktop traffic to the Slack website.
The “Slack” keyword was the top keyword resulting in 1.3 million organic desktop views, followed by “slack login” (166.2k views), “slack download” (71.7k views), and “download slack” (23.7k views).
24. The programming and developer category accounted for 31.59% of Slack.com's desktop referral traffic as of February 2023.
Followed by Computer, electronics, and technology (14.05%), video game consoles and accessories (3.30%), finance (2.57%), and investing (2.16%).
Slack Demographics Statistics
25. The majority of companies that use Slack are in the US.
As of March 2023, 63% of companies using Slack (78,579) were in the US, followed by the UK (6%).
The table below summarizes the distribution of companies using Slack by region as of March 2023.
|Country||Number of Companies Using Slack|
|The US||78,759 (61%)|
|The UK||7,908 (6%)|
26. The US accounted for 32.27% of global desktop Slack traffic in February 2023.
Followed by Japan (9.60%), India (5.18%), the UK (4.27%), and Canada (3.49%).
27. As of February 2023, males were the majority (63.37%) of Slack desktop users.
That is compared to 36.63% of female users.
28. Most Slack desktop users were in the 25-34 (37.23%) category as of February 2023.
This was followed by users in the 35-44 range (21.37%), 18-24 (21.2%), 45-54 (10.94%), 55-64 (5.88%), and 65+ range (3.37%).
Slack Financial Statistics
29. Slack customers paying over $1 million in annual recurring revenue increased to 113 in Q1 2022 financial year.
This represented a 45% year-on-year increase from Q1 2021 fiscal year.
30. 1285 Slack customers in Q1 of the 2022 financial year paid over $100,000 in annual recurring revenue.
Compared to Q1 2021, this was a 33% year-on-year increase.
31. Slack's total Q1 2022 fiscal year revenue was $273.4 million.
Which represented a 36% year-on-year increase from Q1 2021.
The total Slack profit during this period was $39.237 million.
32. Slacks GAAP gross profit for Q1 2022 was $234.1 million.
This figure represented 85.6% of the gross margin and increased from the $176 million (87.3% gross margin) posted in Q1 2021.
33. In Q1 2022 fiscal year, Slack reported a $39.237 million gross profit.
This was compared to the $25.602 million gross profit recorded in Q1 2021 financial year.
34. Slacks operating expenses increased in Q1 2022 financial year.
Slack’s operating expenses in Q1 2022 were $234.12 million compared to Q1 2021 ($176.048 million).
35. 88% of companies using Slack generated less than $50 million annually.
As of March 2023, 26,528 companies using Slack generated less than $1 million in revenue, while 63,035 companies generated $1-10 million annually.
The table below summarizes companies’ revenues using Slack as of March 2023.
|Number of Companies||Revenue Generated|
|1,622||Over $1 billion|
36. Slack’s global revenue is expected to reach $4.217 billion by 2025.
That is compared to the $390 million the company generated in 2019.
37. In Q1 2022 fiscal year, the number of paid Slack users increased by 13,000.
This increased the total number of paying Slack users to 169,000.
Slack Growth Statistics
Microsoft Sharepoint held the biggest share of the market (24.86%), followed by Facebook Workplace (7.47%) and SlideShare (7.40%).
39. As of Q1 2022 financial year, Slack had over 950,000+ connected endpoints.
This was a 265% year-on-year increase from Q1 2021 financial year.
40. Information Technology & Services was the top industry (13%) using Slack as of March 2023.
Other industries using Slack in the reporting period include computer software (13%) and marketing and advertising (7%).
The table below summarizes the top industries using Slack by the number of industries and percentage as of March 2023.
|Industry||Number of Companies||% of Total Companies Using Slack|
|IT & Services||16577||13%|
|Marketing & Advertising||9551||7%|
41. 64% of companies using Slack had less than 50 employees as of March 2023.
That is compared to 31% of medium-sized and 5% of large companies (over 1000 employees).
Check the number of companies using Slack by employee size in the table below.
|Number of Employees||Number of Companies|
|More than 10,000||1,055|
Slack App Statistics
42. As of 14th March 2023, the Slack android app was ranked 92nd by traffic in the US.
This was a drop from the 88th position it held a month ago, on 14th February 2023.
43. The Slack android app was ranked 79th by traffic in Canada across all categories.
The app was also ranked 92nd in the US, 125th in the UK, and 161st in Germany as of February 2023.
44. Direct traffic accounted for 52.9% of all Slack app traffic in February 2023.
Which was followed by search traffic (43%), referrals (3.6%), and email traffic (0.5%).
45. In February 2023, 17.7% of Slack android app users also visited productivity app websites.
A further 16.4% visited communication websites (Whatsapp, Gmail), 12.2% visited tools websites (pixel launcher, clock), and 6.7% visited business websites (LinkedIn, Zoom).
46. The Slack apps were downloaded 900,000 times in February 2023.
This included 600,000 iOS apps and 400,000 Android app downloads.
47. “Slack” was the most downloaded out of the 9 Slack Technologies apps in February 2023.
“Slack” was downloaded 600,000 times, followed by “Slack for EMM” (10,000 downloads) and “Spec by Slack”(less than 5,000 downloads).
48. As of 17th March 2023, the Slack Android app had over 10 million downloads.
The app had an average 3.7-star rating out of 122,000 reviews.
49. The Slack iOS app was ranked 378th in the US App Store on 13th March 2023.
The app also had a 3.8 rating from 16,455 votes.
50. “A need to improve customer service” was the top reason for 70% of companies that joined Slack.
According to a 2021 survey, 64% of companies joined Slack to improve the customer experience, while 49% joined Slack for cost efficiency. Other top reasons for companies to join Slack included improving organizational structure (44%), improving communication (42%), internal change initiative (35%), and improving employee engagement (34%).
Make Work-Life Simpler
Per its tagline, Slack promises to simplify your work life and make it more productive and enjoyable.
The recent Slack- Salesforce merger makes for a super combo that will transform work, making office work less formal and more fun.
If you are on the sidelines about Slack, these impressive statistics, facts, and trends should change your mind.
You are also welcome to read our interesting 50+ remote work statistics, facts & trends article to understand how the post-COVID workplace is evolving.