CyberGhost VPN works perfectly with Plex. Featuring 9000+ servers in 90+ countries, the VPN helps you unblock various Plex channels like ION TV in the US, CBC in Canada, BBC iPlayer in the UK, and others.
Also, CyberGhost helps you access geo-restricted content like The Handmaid’s Tale, Friend of the World, or your favorite Plex TV movie/drama without ISP speed throttling.
So, keep reading to learn how the CyberGhost and Plex combo matches your entertainment urges!
How to Stream Plex With CyberGhost on PC/Mobile?
The easiest way to watch Plex with CyberGhost on your PC/mobile is to download the VPN app on your device, then connect to a suitable server.
Here’s the full procedure:
- Purchase your preferred CyberGhost subscription plan. For first-time subscribers, get these CyberGhost VPN deals while they last to save BIG!
- Download the VPN app for your mobile device or PC. I’ll use a Windows PC for this demonstration.
- Go to your PC’s “Downloads” folder and double-click the downloaded CyberGhost VPN file.
- Install and launch the CyberGhost VPN app.
- Enter your “Username” and “Password” to log in.
- Click the left arrow button to expand CyberGhost connection options and settings.
- Click the CyberGhost logo on the top left corner.
- Click “Privacy settings.”
- Enable the “Automatic Kill-Switch.”
- Click the settings/gear icon at the bottom left corner.
- Select “CyberGhost VPN,” then choose a suitable protocol under “VPN protocol.” I recommend WireGuard for stable and fast speeds to watch live sports on CBC or anime on Crunchyroll without connection hassles.
- Click the CyberGhost icon.
- Search for a suitable VPN server to unblock the preferred Plex channel. For instance, I chose the United States server to unblock US content like the famous NCIS drama series.
- Double-click the searched VPN server country to connect.
- Test for IP/DNS leaks to ensure you’re assigned a VPN IP address, not your real IP.
How to Stream Plex With CyberGhost on Smart TVs?
Android TV users can watch Plex with CyberGhost by following the PC/mobile configuration procedure above. However, that’s not true for non-Android smart TVs that can’t download the CyberGhost app.
Luckily, CyberGhost offers two unique Plex unblocking and streaming methods on smart TVs:
Method #1 - Smart DNS
This method changes the DNS server of your smart TV from the local server that identifies your location to CyberGhost’s DNS server, allowing access to Plex streaming services.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select “DNS Addresses for TV” or “Streaming,” then copy a DNS address based on the Plex streaming service you want to access.
- Turn on your smart TV and navigate to Network settings.
- Edit your smart TV’s DNS server address by pasting the CyberGhost DNS address from Step 4. Watch the video below for detailed steps to go about it.
- Restart your smart TV to effect the changes made.
- Visit Plex to unblock ESPN, Disney Plus, Fubo TV, etc., and watch sports, movies, entertainment, and shows buffer-free on your smart TV.
Method #2 - Creating a Virtual Router WiFi Network on a PC
In this method, you need a Windows PC with CyberGhost VPN installed. Once you have them, follow the steps below:
- Start CyberGhost VPN on your PC (macOS, Windows) and log in.
- Click the settings icon > CyberGhost VPN, then choose “OpenVPN” under “VPN protocol.” This protocol is essential.
- Connect to a suitable VPN server. I recommend one where the content you want to unblock is available. For instance, I’ll connect to the New York server to unblock Hulu US shows via Plex.
- Go to “Settings” on your PC.
- Click “Network & Internet.”
- Select “Mobile hotspot.”
- Turn on the mobile hotspot button, then note the “Network name” and “Network password.”
- Click “Change adapter options” under “Related settings.”
- Right-click the “Enabled” ethernet option, then select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Sharing,” then activate the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” by checking the box next to it.
- Click on the box displaying “Select a private network connection,” then choose your mobile hotspot network name. Usually, this is the “Local Area Connection” with an asterisk symbol [*].
- Click “OK” to finish.
- Open your smart TV and search for your network name in Step 7.
- Enter the network password to connect.
- That’s it! Open Plex on your smart TV and enjoy watching Hulu, Fox, ABC iView, and other Plex Live TV channels.
Drawbacks of Using Plex With CyberGhost
CyberGhost is a good VPN for watching Plex, featuring relevant features like streaming-optimized servers. However, the VPN lacks some services that may be crucial to your Plex streaming experience.
Some notable drawbacks include:
Lacks Split Tunneling
CyberGhost has no split tunneling option on macOS, iOS, and Windows platforms.
So, using CyberGhost with Plex also impacts other apps on the PC or iOS units that should otherwise run through the regular connection.
However, Android users get the CyberGhost split tunneling. So, you can select only Plex traffic to run through the VPN, leaving other apps on your Android mobile connected to regular internet.
Lacks Port Forwarding
Another notable feature CyberGhost VPN lacks is port forwarding, which is key for accessing your local Plex server remotely and improving streaming connection speeds.
Can I Stream Plex With CyberGhost VPN Browser Extensions?
You can stream Plex via CyberGhost VPN’s Google Chrome and Firefox VPN extensions without downloading the VPN apps.
- Visit the official CyberGhost VPN website.
- Scroll down to choose either “VPN for Google Chrome” or “VPN for Firefox” under “Products.” I’ll use the Chrome browser for this demonstration.
- Click “Add CyberGhost to Chrome.”
- Click “Add to Chrome.”
- Accept the on-screen prompt by clicking “Add extension.”
- Click the extension icon on the top right corner.
- Click “Stay secure with CyberGhost VPN Free Proxy.”
- Click the displayed location under “Connect to,” then choose your preferred location (the United States, Romania, Netherlands, or Germany) depending on where you want to unblock Plex Live TV channels.
- Open the Plex website on your browser to securely access exclusive Plex Live TV channels.
Which Plex Channels Does CyberGhost VPN Unblock?
With 9000+ servers in 90+ countries, CyberGhost securely unblocks all Plex Channels in any location. You only need to connect to the CyberGhost VPN server where the target Plex library is available to beat imposed restrictions.
Even better, you get streaming-optimized servers, improving your Plex streaming experience with impeccable unblocking abilities and fast connection speeds.
For example, I’ve used the CyberGhost United States server to unblock ION, NBC News, and other USA-specific TV channels. Luckily, I had no speed buffers or glitches in accessing any Plex Live TV channels in the US.
Furthermore, other Plex libraries I successfully unblocked with CyberGhost (and so you can) are as tabled below:
|CyberGhost Server||Plex Channel(s)|
|United States||Hulu, Netflix US, Fox News, DirecTV, CNN|
|United Kingdom||Netflix UK, ITV, BBC iPlayer|
|France||Rakuten TV, Euro News|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Unlocking Plex Potential With CyberGhost!
The CyberGhost VPN and Plex combo is ideal for all your streaming needs.
With 9000+ VPN servers in 90+ countries, you can unblock various Plex Live TV channels in any location to watch news updates, shows, sports, and dramas.
Ready to level up your Plex streaming experience? Get my discounted CyberGhost VPN deals to start your Plex adventure with a 45-day money-back guarantee!