If you want to unblock and securely play GTA 5 online on a PC, download and install the Surfshark PC app and connect to a preferred server. However, since it doesn’t have a console app, you’ll need to install Surfshark on your router to use it with consoles.
It’s no news that GTA 5 has flaws modders exploit to attack other players.
Once they have your IP address, you can get hit with DDoS or SWAT if they accuse you of being a criminal.
In fact, many prominent streamers like Adin Ross and IShowSpeed have been swatted.
So, here’s how to keep yourself safe with Surfshark if you play GTA 5 online.
How to Play Grand Theft Auto 5 Online Using Surfshark?
I’ll show you how to protect your PC, Xbox, and PS4/PS5 gaming consoles with Surfshark to play GTA 5 online.
How to Connect GTA 5 Online With Surfshark on PC?
Connecting GTA 5 online with Surfshark is relatively straightforward on PC.
Here’s how to do that:
- Pay for a Surfshark subscription. Get these discount offers to save more.
- Download and install the Surfshark PC app.
- Open Surfshark and select “Log in with credentials” or “Log in with code.” I’m choosing the first option.
- A 2FA code will be sent to your registered email address if you have the service set up. Enter it into the Surfshark confirmation window.
- Select WireGuard as your preferred protocol for fast speed and security.
- Search for a preferred server and click to connect.
- Wait a few seconds for the connection to be established.
- Launch GTA 5 Online and start enjoying your game.
How to Connect the GTA 5 Online With Surfshark on PlayStation and Xbox?
You should confirm if your router supports the installation of a VPN, as most old, outdated, or cheap routers don’t.
Now that that’s out of the way, here’s how to protect your consoles with Surfshark over a router setup:
- Buy a Surfshark subscription.
- Open the router’s dashboard page on your browser. It’s usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. I’ll use an Asus router for this demonstration.
- Click “Advanced” and then “VPN.”
- Go to the Surfshark account dashboard and log in with your credentials.
- On the left-side menu, click “VPN” then “Manual setup.”
- Select “Router” under “Setup methods.” Under the “Choose a protocol” section, select “OpenVPN” since most routers only support this protocol.
- Click “Location” and download the server nearest to your country or a preferred region to connect to GTA 5 Online peers. Ensure to download the “UDP” version of the OpenVPN protocol, as it’s faster than the TCP option.
- In the “Credentials” section, copy the username and the password.
- Head to your router’s settings page and click “Upload.”
- Select the VPN file that you downloaded and upload it.
- Enter the username and password you copied, and click “Save.”
All your connections on your router are now encrypted with Surfshark.
Turn on your gaming consoles and start playing GTA 5 online.
What Makes Surfshark Compatible With GTA 5 Online?
Surfshark doesn’t log any activity, encrypts your connection, and protects you from DDoS attacks while providing fast speeds to play GTA 5 without lag.
And if Rockstar Games banned you from playing GTA 5 Online, you can bypass the IP ban using Surfshark.
Here’s more about it!
Protection From Swatting and DDoS Attacks
GTA 5 Online players have repeatedly complained to Rockstar Games about modders virtually abusing them and DDoS attacks.
These modders collect your details, such as your IP address, and complain to the police that you’re running a criminal syndicate.
People have lost their lives because of how rough the situation can be.
And obviously, the SWAT team isn’t gentle with you during the search, so people get hurt.
Surfshark encrypts your connections with AES 256-bit encryption making it impossible for modders to find your IP address and launch a DDoS attack.
Fast Speeds Against Bandwidth Throttling
Some internet service providers are notorious for throttling internet speed.
This impacts the gaming experience, which most gamers, including me, strongly dislike.
When you connect to a Surfshark server, your ISP can’t monitor the data packets and throttle speed anymore. Ensure to select a nearby server location and the “WireGuard” protocol for faster gaming connection speeds.
Huge Server Network to Bypass IP Bans
If Rockstar Games accidentally bans your IP address on suspicion that you were doing something shady, you can’t play its game over that account or from your network/region anymore.
However, Surfshark lets you bypass the IP ban when you connect to a new server since the Surfshark server’s IP address replaces yours (which was banned).
Even so, never use Surfshark to commit illegal activities or violate the Rockstar Games ToS that you accepted. Otherwise, you’ll also be violating Surfshark’s ToS and can have legal action taken against you.
Limitations/Drawbacks of Playing GTA 5 Online With Surfshark
There are a few drawbacks to using Surfshark VPN for online games like Grand Theft Auto 5. Here are a few:
Your ping will be higher than when playing without a VPN.
Although it won’t significantly impact your gameplay, you should take note, so it doesn’t become a severe dealbreaker.
Your VPN connection speed can be slower than your base connection speed due to the encryption load of VPN protocols.
Thankfully, just like ping, a little slower connection speed isn’t going to be a problem.
After all, you only need 7.5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds to play GTA 5 Online without lag.
Even so, Surfshark is optimized for speed, and minimal connection drops, especially over its WireGuard protocol.
Higher Data Consumption
VPNs consume more data than when surfing the web without a VPN — at least 10 to 15% more due to the extra encryption load.
However, well-engineered VPNs like Surfshark consume less over some protocols (like WireGuard and IKEv2) than others (like OpenVPN).
Likewise, the greater the distance between the client (your device) and the Surfshark server, the more data is required to encrypt the connection.
You’re the Winner
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs to play GTA online. It’s affordable, has an extensive server network, and protects you from DDoS attacks.
Surfshark also offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
So, you can share your subscription with your friends and gaming guild to stay safe from modders and hackers.
If you don’t already have a Surfshark subscription, try it risk-free for 30 days!