Can you use Surfshark to bypass geo-restriction, unblock games, and stay safe on the PS4? Yes. The bad news is that the PlayStation 4 doesn’t natively support VPN apps. Therefore, you can’t install the Surfshark app directly on your PS4 console.
Luckily, getting Surfshark to work with your gaming console is easy.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to set up Surfshark on your PS4.
How to Set Up Surfshark on PS4?
Setting up Surfshark on your PS4 requires technical knowledge since you can’t find the Surfshark app in the PlayStation store.
You’ll need to use one of the four techniques below:
- Install Surfshark on your router & connect your PS4 to the router’s WiFi connection.
- Share a virtual hotspot with a Surfshark connection to your PS4 via Windows PC.
- Share a VPN connection to your PS4 through an Ethernet cable from your PC.
- Set up a Surfshark Smart DNS connection on your PS4.
But first, you must purchase a Surfshark subscription to use with your PS4 gaming console.
Set Up Surfshark for PS4 via WIFI Router
It’s important to find a compatible router since not all routers work with Surfshark.
Here’s a simplified guide on setting up Surfshark on your router for PS4 gaming:
- Open the router configuration panel. To access the panel, input your router’s IP address in your web browser, just like a normal URL. If you don’t know your IP address, here’s how to find it:
For Windows 10 users
- Hit the start menu, type in & select “Command Prompt.”
- Type “ipconfig” and press the Enter key.
- You will see your router’s IP address on the “Default Gateway” line.
For MacOS users
- Open “System Preferences” from the Apple menu.
- Click “Network.”
- Select WiFi >> Advanced >> TCP/IP.
- Your router’s IP address will be displayed next to “Router.”
- Check for a dedicated VPN tab. You’ll find it in the advanced settings of your router. However, depending on your router model or brand, it may be somewhere else. If you can’t find it, your router may not be VPN-compatible.
- If your router is VPN-compatible, follow the VPN client guidelines in the video below.
- Confirm your connection is VPN-protected. Connect to the router from your PC and search “what is my IP” on Google to see if it shows a different IP address. If it doesn’t, try the process again or contact Surfshark customer support.
- Configure your Playstation 4 Console. Here’s how to do it:
- Find the Dynamic Menu on your PlayStation 4.
- Go to Settings >> Network >> Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select “WiFi” and set the connection method to “Easy.”
- If prompted, don’t use a Proxy server.
- That’s it. Bypass geo-blocking to stream content and play games on your PS4!
I recommend using this method to ensure all other devices on your home network that can’t download a VPN app are protected.
Set Up Surfshark for PS4 via Virtual WIFI
You can also use a Windows PC to create a virtual WIFI hotspot connection to your PlayStation 4. Here’s how to set this up:
- Download the Surfshark app to your Windows PC.
- Launch the app to log in with your account credentials.
- Connect to a preferred server region.
- Right-click on the network icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Select “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Click “Mobile Hotspot.”
- Under “Share my Internet Connection with other devices,” toggle the switch to the on position to activate the hotspot. It will enable internet sharing from your PC.
- Go to the “Network Name” and “Network Password” and click “Edit” to make changes or use it as is.
- Go to Network Connection settings to see the new network configured for the hotspot you just activated/enabled.
- Right-click Surfshark’s network adapter and select “Properties.”
- A new window will pop up. Select the “Sharing” tab & checkmark the first option, “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.” Select the name of the hotspot connection you activated earlier from the obvious dropdown menu.
Set Up Surfshark for PS4 via Ethernet Cable
This method provides Surfshark VPN access through an Ethernet cable.
For this tutorial, you need a Windows computer, Surfshark VPN, an active Surfshark VPN subscription, and an Ethernet cable.
If you don’t have an active Surfshark subscription, get one using our limited-time discounts.
To set up Surfshark on your PlayStation via Ethernet cable:
- Download the Surfshark app to your Windows PC.
- Launch the app and log in with your Surfshark account details.
- Search for a preferred server and click to connect.
- Right-click on the network icon and hit “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Select “Change adapter options.”
- Right-click on the Surfshark network adapter and click “Properties.”
- Click on the “Sharing” tab and enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Select the name of the network you want to share. Click OK once you’re done.
- Now, connect your PS4 to your PC via Ethernet & configure the console.
- Open the Dynamic Menu on the PS4. The dynamic menu is at the top of your PlayStation 4 home screen.
- Go to Settings >> Network Settings >> Set Up Internet Connection. You’ll be asked how you want to connect to the network.
- Select “Use a LAN cable.” Ensure you set the connection method as Easy. The PlayStation will ask you to connect the LAN cable. Do so.
- Click on “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” when prompted.
- Once you’ve linked the PS4 to the PC, launch the Surfshark app on your PC & enjoy all the benefits of Surfshark VPN on your PS4.
Set Up Surfshark for PS4 via Smart DNS
The steps below highlight how to configure smart DNS on your PlayStation 4 gaming device:
- Go to the “Settings” tab on your PS4 & select “Network.”
- Select “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- Choose what kind of internet connection you have, whether Wi-Fi or LAN.
- An option appears asking you, “How do you want to set up the internet connection?” Choose “Custom.”
- You’ll be asked for your “IP Address Settings.” There are three choices: Automatic, Manual, & PPPoE. Choose “Automatic.”
- The next screen asks for the DHCP Host Name. Choose “Do Not Specify.”
- The next screen asks for your DNS settings. Choose “Manual.” Proceed to select “Primary DNS.”
- Enter your Smart DNS address. You’ll find this address by signing in to your Surfshark account.
- Optional: If you can’t find your Smart DNS address, contact Surfshark support, and they’ll sort you out quickly.
- Enter the address in your PS4 network settings and select “Done.” You don’t need to change the Secondary DNS. Select “Next.”
- Select Automatic for the MTU settings. You’ll be asked for the Proxy server. Select “Do Not Use.”
- Select “Test Internet Connection.” At this point, you should get the “Internet Settings Updated” message on your screen.
You have successfully configured Smart DNS on your Playstation 4.
To ensure that these changes take effect, turn off your PS4 & turn it back on after 30 seconds.
Why Is Surfshark an Excellent VPN for PS4?
There are many reasons why Surfshark is an excellent VPN for your PS4.
But first, here are a few benefits to expect if you’re using Surfshark on your gaming console:
- You can download new games as soon as they’re available in other regions.
- You can beat price discrimination to access cheaper games.
- You can access the geo-restricted content on PS$-supported streaming platforms like Netflix, Disney+, etc.
- You can enjoy a lag-free gaming experience with better ping.
Now that you are familiar with a few benefits of using SurfsharkVPN for your gaming consoles, here are a few reasons why it’s an excellent VPN for your PS4:
- It offers DDoS protection, which prevents connection throttling or loss of access to gaming servers.
- You can enjoy fast online gaming speeds on Surfshark’s 3,200+ servers worldwide.
- You enjoy military-grade encryption to protect your gaming data from the government, hackers, web snoopers & your internet service provider.
- You enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections to connect all your gaming consoles without paying for another Surfshark account.
Unblock Streaming Services & Buy Games for Cheap
Even though Surfshark isn’t natively compatible with the PS4, it’s still a top-notch VPN service for gaming. All you need to do is set up Surfshark through the different ways discussed above.
The different setups might seem tedious. However, once done, you can rest easy knowing your data is safe & away from unscrupulous parties.
You can also use Surfshark to download games, stream region-blocked content, & buy games cheaper on your PS4 console.
That said, grab our Surfshark discounts today to save more and enjoy a 30-day money-back guarantee to test the PS4 VPN risk-free!