Are you looking to watch Hulu originals like The Dropout or The Handmaid’s Tale in Australia?
While Hulu is not officially available in Australia, you can change your virtual location using a VPN and access its vast collection of movies, TV shows, and live TV channels.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to stream Hulu in Australia.
If you don’t have a Hulu account, don’t worry.
I’ll also walk you through how to sign up and pay for Hulu outside the US.
Keep reading to find out.
Stream Hulu in Australia in 5 Quick Steps
Follow the steps below to unblock Hulu in Australia:
- Sign up for a VPN service. I recommend ExpressVPN – it’s super-fast and works reliably with Hulu.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Launch the VPN app and sign in with your credentials.
- Connect to a server located in the US.
- Open the Hulu app or website and binge on your favorite shows!
How to Unblock Hulu With a VPN in Under 3 Minutes?
To unblock Hulu, simply switch to a US IP address.
A VPN allows you to do this while masking your actual Australian IP.
And the whole process is a snap, especially if you’re streaming from a device compatible with VPNs.
If that’s the case, follow the steps below:
- Sign up for a VPN service (Click here to subscribe to ExpressVPN).
- Download the VPN application for your device.
- Launch the application and log in.
- Locate the VPN server list and connect to a US server.
- Visit Hulu.com and log in.
However, if your device doesn’t support VPNs, you may find the process a little more complicated.
To unblock Hulu on Roku, Apple TV, and non-Android smart TVs, you’ll need to set up the VPN on your router.
Alternatively, you can still set it up on your PC and share the VPN-protected connection to your streaming device via mobile hotspot.
How to Unblock Hulu With SmartDNS?
SmartDNS proxy offers an alternative to VPNs for unblocking Hulu.
It works directly with many devices that don’t support VPNs, including smart TVs like Samsung and LG TVs.
Smart DNS is also ideal for low internet speeds because it doesn’t encrypt your data.
You won’t experience any speed loss, allowing you to stream Hulu in HD with as low as 3 Mbps.
Several VPN providers offer SmartDNS as an addon, including ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and CyberGhost.
Here is how to watch Hulu in Australia using ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS on your TV:
- Under “IP address registration,” click “Register my IP address.”
This will update your IP for you every time you use the ExpressVPN app or log in to your account on a browser.
- Go to the ExpressVPN SmartDNS setup page and note the MediaStreamer IPs. You’ll need this information while configuring your streaming device.
ExpressVPN has MediaStreamer setup guides for most devices.
If you’re trying to stream Hulu on a smart TV, continue to step 5.
These are general steps, and there may be some variations depending on your TV brand.
- On your TV, locate the network IP settings menu.
- In the DNS Settings field, enter the MediaStreamer IP manually.
- Save the new settings.
- Log in to Hulu and enjoy!
Best VPNs to Watch Hulu in Australia
Most top VPNs can reliably hide your IP address and assign a different one from the US.
But with Hulu, you need to look beyond that.
The streaming provider employs some of the toughest geo-restriction measures.
It actively blacklists known VPN IPs, and as a result, most VPN services are at best erratic when it comes to unblocking Hulu.
You also need to consider VPN server speeds.
After all, you’re not going through all this trouble just to stream low res on a UHD TV.
I tested over 30 VPNs with Hulu to find the best VPNs for watching Hulu in Australia.
Here they are:
1. ExpressVPN - Best VPN for Hulu in Australia
ExpressVPN is my top VPN for streaming Hulu in Australia.
In my tests, it unblocked the streaming service with ease and delivered the fastest connections.
I only had, at most, a 19% drop in speed when using ExpressVPN.
With a 20 Mbps connection, I was able to stream 4K movies and documentaries without interruptions.
Another area where ExpressVPN stands out is its reliability.
I tried 12 of its US server locations, and all unblocked Hulu on the first try.
The provider offers servers in 16+ cities in the US, making it easier to find fast, less-crowded options.
Another thing I like about ExpressVPN is its SmartDNS feature –MediaStreamer.
With it, you can unblock Hulu on smart TVs, Roku, PS4, Xbox, and other devices that lack built-in VPN functionality.
And since SmartDNS connections aren’t encrypted, it also allows you to unblock and stream Hulu without any speed loss.
This makes it ideal for users with low bandwidth.
Although ExpressVPN may cost a little bit more than most other providers, you get reliability and top-notch performance with Hulu.
With a single ExpressVPN subscription, you can stream Hulu on more than 5 devices simultaneously.
The VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee allowing you to test it risk-free.
2. Surfshark - Best Value for Money
If you’re interested in a budget alternative to ExpressVPN, Surfshark makes for a great choice.
It works well with Hulu, and I was more than pleased with its speeds.
The VPN provides access to 600+ servers in an impressive 23+ American cities.
You can easily obtain a US IP and circumvent Hulu’s blocks.
On top of being affordable, Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
With only one subscription, you can cover all your devices and even extend some connections to your family and members.
In terms of value for money, it doesn’t get better than this.
Surfshark also supports SmartDNS, allowing you to sidestep VPN slowdowns and enjoy 4K streaming lag-free.
And unlike ExpressVPN, its US servers support the WireGuard protocol, which is lightning fast and more suitable for streaming.
Take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee and check it out!
3. CyberGhost - Best VPN for Beginners
CyberGhost is another fantastic choice for Hulu.
It has one of the most extensive server networks, offering over 1230 servers across 11 US cities and over 7900 servers overall in 90 countries.
Many of these are optimized for streaming and are labeled as such, making them easier to locate for beginners.
Like NordVPN and Surfshark, CyberGhost also supports SmartDNS.
The VPN comes with unlimited bandwidth, allowing you to stream Hulu for as long as you want.
CyberGhost is easy to set up and use.
The provider has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire Stick, and routers.
You can connect CyberGhost on up to 7 streaming devices at the same time.
If you encounter any issues, CyberGhost has helpful 24/7 customer support available via live chat or email.
Want to try out the VPN?
CyberGhost makes that possible with its industry-leading 45-day refund guarantee.
How Much is Hulu Subscription in Australia?
Hulu offers four subscription plans tailored to various entertainment needs at different price points.
- Hulu: This plan is ad-supported and will cost you $6.99/month (around 21 AUD). It gives you access to the entire on-demand content catalog.
- Hulu (No Ads): Available at $12.99/month (around 12 AUD), this plan allows you to stream almost the entire Hulu library without ad breaks. A few shows may still display ads due to licensing agreements. This is usually the case with ABC shows like Grey’s Anatomy.
- Hulu + Live TV now with Disney+ and ESPN+: With this plan, you get additional on-demand movies, TV shows, and sports from Disney+, ESPN+, and live streams from multiple networks. It’s priced at $69.99/month (around 23 AUD).
- Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV now with Disney+ and ESPN+: For $75.99/month (around 17 AUD), you can do away with commercials while still enjoying live streams plus extra content from Disney+ and ESPN+. However, note that content outside the Hulu streaming library will still carry ads.
If you want to save some cash, the basic plan is a great idea.
The only difference between the Hulu and Hulu (No Ads) plans is ads.
Whichever you opt for, you will get the same number of shows.
However, if you want to binge on your favorite shows without interruptions, consider the ad-free plan instead.
In my experience with the Hulu basic plan, there was a 30-second ad before episodes of most original shows, though a few had ads in the middle.
How to Pay for Hulu in Australia?
Unblocking Hulu in Australia is as simple as connecting to a US VPN server.
The real challenge is paying for a subscription.
Since Hulu is only available in the US, it restricts users to US-issued forms of payment.
But there are two ways to get around this:
- Pay for Hulu With a Gift Card
- Pay for Hulu With a Virtual Credit Card
1. Pay for Hulu in Australia With a Gift Card
The best and easiest method is to purchase a Hulu gift card.
Several websites offer Hulu gift cards, including MyGiftCardSupply and GiftCardCabin.
Here is the step by step guide on how to purchase a Hulu gift card on MyGiftCardSupply:
- Log in to your VPN and connect to a US server.
- Go to MyGiftCardSupply and search for “US Hulu gift card.” Alternatively, click on the “Shop” tab and select “Hulu Cards.”
- Select the value of the gift card ($25, $50, or $100) and the number of cards, then click “Add to Cart.”
- Next, click “Proceed to Checkout.”
You can pay with Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Apple Pay, or Bitcoin.
- Once you receive your Hulu Gift Card code, go to https://www.hulu.com/start/ and click on “TRY UP TO ONE MONTH FREE.”
- Click on your account name and paste your Gift Card code into the “Gift or Promotional Code” box.
- Complete your signup with a US zip code (more on this below) and choose a Hulu plan.
2. Pay for Hulu With a Virtual Card
Another way you can pay for Hulu in Australia is through a virtual US credit card.
You can sign up for one from providers like StatesCard or on websites like US Unlocked.
I choose to use StatesCard because it’s straightforward to use and accepts PayPal.
Here is how you can use the virtual card to pay for your Hulu plan:
- Go to Hulu.com and select “Try Up to One Month Free.”
- Choose your plan.
- Enter your personal information and click “Continue.”
- Next, choose “Credit Card” as your payment method and enter your virtual card information.
- Click “Submit,” and voila! You’ve succeeded in signing up for Hulu, and your account should now be active.
If you have a US Apple account, you can load it with credit and pay for Hulu via iTunes.
How to Choose a US Zip Code for Hulu Subscription?
When signing for Hulu, you’ll be required to enter a US Zip Code on the billing information page.
You can quickly obtain a valid US Zip Code through a quick Google search or websites like unitedstateszipcodes.org.
Just type a US city name in the search box and pick any one of the 5-digit numbers.
For example, 33141.
Why Is Hulu Not Available in Australia?
Hulu is not available in Australia —or any other country outside the US– due to licensing and related streaming agreements.
If you try to access the streaming platform in Australia, you’ll see the following message:
“We’re sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States. For more information on Hulu’s international availability, click here. If you’re inside the United States and believe you’ve received this message in error, please click here.”
To get around this issue, you need a VPN and a US payment method.
If you already have an active subscription, just connect to a US VPN server, and you’ll be good to go.
On What Devices Can I Watch Hulu in Australia With a VPN?
Hulu is compatible with a wide range of streaming devices.
But not all of the devices that work with Hulu support VPNs.
Fortunately, you can set up your VPN on your router, allowing you to use it on any WiFi-enabled device.
The devices below support the latest Hulu app:
- Android phones and tablets
- Android TV (select models)
- Apple TV (4th generation or later)
- Echo Show
- Fire Tablets
- Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
- iPhones and iPads
- LG TV (select models)
- Nintendo Switch
- Mac and PC browsers/apps
- PlayStationRoku (select models)
- Samsung TV (select models)
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Yes, it’s legal to stream Hulu with a VPN in Australia.
There is no law against it, and you won’t be charged.
Hulu discourages anonymous proxies, but it doesn’t strictly prohibit their use and won’t suspend your account for using one.
At the moment, there is no official communication from Disney on whether Hulu is coming to Australia.
But you can still catch up on your favorite shows using a VPN.
Once you unblock Hulu in Australia, you will have access to the same catalog as users in the US.
However, your streaming content will depend on your subscription package.
The basic packages (Hulu/ Hulu – No Ads) include the entire streaming library.
If you opt for the live TV package, you’ll get 75+ top channels, including:
- Entertainment channels like E!, MTV, BET, Comedy Central, TNT, Freeform, Lifetime, OWN, VH1, and more.
- Sports networks like ESPN and Fox Sports.
- News channels like Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, and CNBC.
- Children’s networks like Disney Channel, Cartoon Network,Nickelodeon, and Boomerang.
- Educational channels like National Geographic, Discovery, and History.
On top of that, you can access extra content with Premium and Partner Add-ons like HBO, SHOWTIME, and STARZ.
You can download the Hulu app directly on the App Store of compatible devices, such as the Windows App Store and Samsung Smart Hub.
However, on Android, you’ll need to download the app on third-party sites and sideload the .APK file on your smartphone or Android TV since the Hulu app is geo-restricted on Play Store.
Alternatively, you can change your Google Play country using a US payment method.
But keep in mind that you can only change your Play country once a year.
It’s also important to know that you won’t be able to use your old Google Play balance once you switch to a new country.
To change your Google Play country to the US, follow the steps below:
- Go to pay.google.com.
- Next, click Settings.
- Under Payments profile, scroll to Country/Region and click Edit.
- Click “Create new profile,” choose US, and add an American payment method.
Hulu video quality adjusts based on your internet speeds.
However, the recommended download speeds are:
- 3 Mbps for Hulu’s Streaming Library
- 8 Mbps for live streams
- 16 Mbps for 4K content
You can stream with 1.5 Mbps, but at reduced quality.
Although Hulu is not available in Australia, you can unblock it with a good VPN.
I found ExpressVPN to be the best VPN for Hulu in Australia.
It’s super fast and easily unblocks the streaming service, and thanks to its MediaStreamer service, you can use it on devices that don’t support VPNs.
Grab our exclusive ExpressVPN discount and watch Hulu in Australia in HD!