Surfshark VPN works well with Hulu. However, it’s not uncommon to encounter proxy errors while using this VPN to access Hulu.
This happened to me several times, so I know it can get frustrating.
Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to fix these issues, and you’ll get back to enjoying your favorite Hulu shows in no time.
In this article, I’ll highlight seven surefire solutions to help you solve this problem.
So, let’s jump right into it!
How to Stream Hulu With Surfshark?
Since Hulu is only allowed to broadcast in the United States, it blocks VPNs like Surfshark from connecting to its service to unblock content anywhere else.
However, if you want to access its content, there’s a workaround to easily access Hulu with Surfshark without encountering proxy errors.
Before we get down to business, here’s a quick guide to properly set up Surfshark and Hulu:
- Subscribe to Surfshark VPN.
- Download the VPN app for your preferred Hulu streaming device.
- Log in to your Surfshark account and connect to your preferred US server.
- Ensure your Surfshark VPN connection is established (Do the IP leak test if necessary).
- Log in to your Hulu account and start streaming your favorite shows!
What Causes Hulu Not to Work With Surfshark?
If Surfshark stops working with Hulu, it’s likely because Hulu has detected your Surfshark-assigned IP address and blocked it.
The streaming service is known for its strict anti-VPN measures, and a slight IP leak or minor hiccup from Surfshark can result in a blocked connection.
This is why using a reliable VPN with multiple US servers and safety features like the Kill Switch is important.
Here are other reasons why your Surfshark isn’t working with Hulu:
- Hulu blacklists some VPN IP addresses, so if you’re using one of them, you’ll encounter a proxy error. This scenario may result from a big chunk of Surfshark users connecting to Hulu over the same location, setting off the Hulu VPN detector.
- This streaming service has contracts and licensing agreements to only broadcast its content in the US. Thus, Hulu may block some Surfshark VPN connections outside the US to avoid violating copyright and licensing laws.
- Surfshark may not work with Hulu if you’re connected to the wrong IP address (outside the US). So, double-check your VPN connection to ensure it’s with a US server.
- Surfshark may not work with Hulu if the VPN connection drops and your Kill Switch isn’t active. This feature automatically disables your internet connection immediately after your VPN fails, ultimately preventing your actual IP address from being exposed.
Remedies/Fixes of Surfshark Not Working With Surfshark
Now that you know why Surfshark isn’t working with Hulu, here are surefire solutions to help you.
- Connect to a different US Server — If Hulu has blocked the US server you’re using, try connecting to a different server. Surfshark has 600+ servers throughout the country, so you have multiple options to choose from. Here’s a quick guide to Surfshark’s server list.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies — The Hulu VPN algorithm works by analyzing the data on your browser, which may include your real IP address already saved by the browser. So, by clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, you’re deleting all traces of your actual IP address that may interfere with the unblocking process.
- Change VPN Protocol — Surfshark offers four VPN protocols: WireGuard, IKEv2, OpenVPN TCP, and OpenVPN UDP. Its default protocol depends on your preferences, but switching to a different VPN protocol can help Surfshark work with Hulu. Try switching to OpenVPN UDP if WireGuard/IKEv2 (first choice options) don’t work.
- Check your internet connection — Surfshark needs an active internet connection to work with Hulu. So, ensure your internet connection is fast and stable. This will also ensure a seamless streaming experience.
- Check for IP Leaks — Conduct an IP leak test before streaming Hulu with Surfshark to ensure your connection is secure. You should also activate the Kill Switch feature on your Surfshark app to disable your internet connection when your VPN connection drops unexpectedly.
- Contact Surfshark for more guidance — Surfshark has a 24/7 live chat support team ready to answer any queries or concerns. So, they can give you tailored solutions for Surfshark not working with Hulu.
Surfshark Alternatives for Hulu
While Surfshark is a top-rated VPN for unblocking streaming sites, other VPNs work well with Hulu.
So, if Surfshark isn’t working for you, try the following three (3) VPNs known to work well with Hulu:
ExpressVPN might be a bit expensive compared to Surfshark, but it offers a high-speed connection and consistent performance for streaming sites like Hulu.
Plus, its automatic obfuscation feature on all protocols and servers ensures Hulu never detects the VPN traffic to restrict your access to its platform.
Grab our exclusive ExpressVPN deal to save more on your purchase and get a 30-day window to test it risk-free.
I recommend NordVPN for unblocking Hulu for its 2100+ US servers in 15 locations, ensuring many server options to access the streaming service.
Additionally, NordVPN has an ultra-fast, in-house NordLynx protocol to ensure buffer-less Hulu streaming.
Grab our NordVPN discount now to access more servers to unblock Hulu anywhere!
Besides being a budget-friendly option, I recommend CyberGhost for its 1300+ US servers, 2x more than Surfshark carries in the region. This VPN also has other servers in 91 countries and offers dedicated IP addresses to bypass Hulu’s VPN detection.
One of its greatest advantages over Surfshark is its dedicated streaming servers, which offer optimized connections for streaming Hulu and other popular sites like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
If you consider the 1300+ US servers a major perk, enjoy our exclusive CyberGhost discount!
Frequently Asked Question
No, you can’t get banned on Hulu for using Surfshark.
Surfshark uses top-notch encryption technology, so your activities on Hulu can’t be traced back to you. However, Hulu can block you from accessing its site over a particular server, but it can’t track the VPN activity back to you personally.
Having a Hard Time Accessing Hulu With Surfshark?
It can be frustrating when your Surfshark VPN isn’t working with Hulu.
Hopefully, with the tips above, Surfshark and Hulu can start playing nice again.
You can also contact Surfshark’s 24/7 live chat support for additional help and assistance.
So what are you waiting for? Get Surfshark now and start streaming Hulu without any hiccups.