You can use ExpressVPN with Apple TV via SmartDNS (MediaStreamer), Airplay, a hotspot connection, or an ExpressVPN-compatible router.
Overwhelmed? Don’t worry – I’ll show you how to use each method to secure your Apple TV and stream geo-restricted content worldwide.
Keep reading for the easy steps!
How to Use ExpressVPN With Apple TV via SmartDNS?
ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS feature, MediaStreamer, works by changing the DNS settings on your Apple TV. However, MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your connection.
It also only supports US and UK locations.
To set up MediaStreamer for your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN.
- Open the ExpressVPN website and log in with your credentials.
- Under the “Setup your devices” tag, tap on More to find MediaStreamer. You’ll see a MediaStreamer DNS IP address. Keep that browser tab open.
- All ExpressVPN IP addresses are automatically registered for DNS, so if you see the “Register my IP address” button disabled, don’t panic. That means you can proceed to the next stage.
- Under “IP Address Registration,” toggle “Automatically register my IP address” so ExpressVPN can automatically track all changes to your IP address.
- Now on your Apple TV, go to Settings and select Network.
- Tap on WiFi and choose your connection to access the settings.
- In the settings, scroll down and tap Configure DNS.
- Switch from Automatic to Manual.
- This will take you to a new screen to input the DNS Address. Enter either DNS address from the tab you left open earlier and tap Done.
- Restart your Apple TV for the DNS change to take effect.
How to Use ExpressVPN With Apple TV via AirPlay?
AirPlay allows you to cast content from your VPN-encrypted MacBook, iPad, or iPhone to your Apple TV. To use Airplay, follow these steps (I’ll use a MacBook):
- Sign up for an ExpressVPN subscription.
- Launch the ExpressVPN app on your MacBook, go to Preferences, and tap General. Ensure “Allow access to devices on the local network” is checked. This allows your Apple device to discover your Apple TV.
- Connect to a VPN server that allows you to stream the specific content you want. For example, I used a UK server to stream BBC iPlayer.
- Now you can stream anything you want while casting it to your Apple TV screen.
How to Use ExpressVPN With Apple TV via WiFi Hotspot?
This method has you create a WiFi hotspot from a smartphone, tablet, or PC with an active ExpressVPN connection, then connect your Apple TV to that Network.
Here are the steps:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Install the VPN on your preferred device. In my case, I used my Android phone.
- Launch the VPN and connect to any server.
- Activate the hotspot option and connect your Apple TV to the new Network. Now you can use your Apple TV to access restricted content.
How to Use Apple TV With ExpressVPN Router?
The final method involves ExpressVPN-compatible routers. Simply connect your Apple TV to the router to stream geo-blocked content.
But note that ExpressVPN-compatible routers are limited. Here are examples of supported routers:
- ExpressVPN Aircove
- Netgear R6700
- Asus RT-AC56(U/R/S)
- Linksys EA6200
ExpressVPN Not Working With Apple TV? Troubleshooting Guide
If ExpressVPN isn’t working with Apple TV using MediaStreamer, it’s likely that your IP isn’t registered. This happens mostly with rotating addresses. The solution is to toggle Automatically register my IP address in your ExpressVPN account, so ExpressVPN can automatically adjust your IP address when it changes.
If ExpressVPN isn’t working with Apple TV for other reasons, here are additional tips:
- Restarting the VPN, router, or Apple TV when you get connection errors. This will reset the connection and clear caches that could be causing the issues.
- Changing the server may work if you’re using one that’s too far away or overcrowded.
- Turning off the kill switch can help with connection errors. Sometimes kill switches are too efficient and may mistake network drops as a threat and kill the internet altogether.
- If all else fails, contact ExpressVPN’s 24/7 chat support for assistance.
How to Change ExpressVPN Location on Apple TV?
You can’t change your ExpressVPN location on Apple TV with MediaStreamer.
But if you’re using the router app, a hotspot connection, or AirPlay, simply switch to another server in the ExpressVPN app, and the change will reflect on your Apple TV.
Stream on Apple TV With ExpressVPN
Apple TV’s superior resolution makes streaming more enjoyable, so finding a way for ExpressVPN to work is vital.
The MediaStreamer option is the best for fast streaming, but a compatible router is better if you want to unlock your Apple TV to the fullest with ExpressVPN.
Just remember to grab your ExpressVPN Apple TV deal while the offer still stands.